Total Newbie. Need Some Advice

FG96

31 years old. 204 lbs, 5'11"
Late to puberty, thin facial and body hair, dry skin/scalp, hands/feet cold upon waking, body feels hot as day goes on, hair receding

2 years ago I see an endocrinologist who after my initial blood work says I have secondary hypogonadism. Prescribes clomid. T levels respond, but symptoms haven't changed. Sexual dysfunction starts. First delayed orgasm/sensation, then erectile and libido issues.

Quit clomid. No improvement 3 months.

Resort to urologist at NYU Langone. New blood work shows lowest T yet (192, 300-800). Refuses to test E2. No sex for almost 4 months with fiancé.

Coinciding with my diagnosis 2 years ago is when I began an extremely low carb diet. Dropped body weight from 242-204. Eliminated dairy (diarrhea issues before diagnosis from age 18, never singled out to lactose).

Generally I do not feel well. Lack of sex, depression, blurry vision, constipation, hair loss, anxiety, major joint pain (right shoulder surgery, sprained ankle lasting 5 months) Otherwise life is great lol. Getting married in 7 months and so far my fiancé has been very supportive.

Looking for whatever help I can get.

Current diet is eggs, salads, lean protein, nuts, green veggies, orange triad multi. Occasional whey protein shake

Very little sunlight from 9-5 desk job.

Can provide some labs if helpful

Thank you

Mito

dry skin/scalp, hands/feet cold upon waking,
These are classic symptoms of low thyroid function. Thyroid is the basic thing that drives metabolism to produce ATP which provides energy for proper cellular function. Ray has recommended fruit and milk to get the thyroid going Ray's Quick Therapy Diet: 2 Quarts Of Milk And 2 Quarts Of Orange Juice Per Day.

How's your cholesterol? Adequate Thyroid and Vitamin A are needed to convert cholesterol to pregnenalone to start the entire hormone cascade.

Nuts contain a lot of polyunsaturated fats. Too much PUFA is thyroid suppressive and has many other bad effects Haidut's Summary Of PUFA.

OP
F

FG96

These are classic symptoms of low thyroid function. Thyroid is the basic thing that drives metabolism to produce ATP which provides energy for proper cellular function. Ray has recommended fruit and milk to get the thyroid going Ray's Quick Therapy Diet: 2 Quarts Of Milk And 2 Quarts Of Orange Juice Per Day.

How's your cholesterol? Adequate Thyroid and Vitamin A are needed to convert cholesterol to pregnenalone to start the entire hormone cascade.

Nuts contain a lot of polyunsaturated fats. Too much PUFA is thyroid suppressive and has many other bad effects Haidut's Summary Of PUFA.

Thank you @Mito - my Endo had said my thyroid was fine due to my TSH (1.72, .27-4.20) and T4 (1.4, .8-1.7).

My cholesterol all came back in optimal ranges.

I only learned of RP and PUFAs today, so I will take all of this into account. I'd like to focus on diet and possibly quit clomid.

tara

:welcome FG96

Thank you @Mito - my Endo had said my thyroid was fine due to my TSH (1.72, .27-4.20) and T4 (1.4, .8-1.7).
Have you read Peat's articles on thyroid function? Here are some:
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

Seeing what you can do with food first makes sense to me.
First up I'd guess (as a non-expert) that would be gradually reintroducing yourself to carbohydrate foods as a major source of fuel and other nourishment, esp. in the form of fruit, roots, tubers, juice, honey, etc, according to what agrees with your system.
Severely restricting calories and/or carbohydrates seem to sometimes have the effects you describe.
How many calories do you think you are eating in the average day?

Here's one of Peat's on food:
Vegetables, etc.—Who Defines Food?

OP
F

FG96

What is considered optimal?

Sorry @Mito.. cholesterol results as follows

Cholesterol 125
Triglycerides 55
HDL 47
LDL 67
VLDL 11
Chol/HDL 2.7

I didn't realize peat had different standards for cholesterol

OP
F

FG96

:welcome FG96

Have you read Peat's articles on thyroid function? Here are some:
Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud
Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.
Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease

Seeing what you can do with food first makes sense to me.
Thank you for the info Tara.. I've been trying to get up to speed as fast as possible.. I've been low carb for two years, but I definitely had some (less severe) problems before that. Next part will be convincing my doctor to run a full thyroid profile and not just tsh and ft4 it seems... appreciate the hand holding

Mito

Sorry @Mito.. cholesterol results as follows

Cholesterol 125
Triglycerides 55
HDL 47
LDL 67
VLDL 11
Chol/HDL 2.7

I didn't realize peat had different standards for cholesterol
Ray doesn't agree that lower cholesterol is optimal because it has many important functions including the production of hormones.
Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.
Cholesterol And Saturated Fats - East West Healing

my Endo had said my thyroid was fine due to my TSH (1.72, .27-4.20) and T4 (1.4, .8-1.7).
Did you get any iron tests? Iron dominance can can interfere with cellular metabolism and proper ATP production even if thyroid is adequate.

artlange

a year ago I was in the same place as you. My Kaiser HMO Dr. refused me a thyroid prescription because I was "normal" (TSH = 2.96) I certainly had low metabolism with many hypothyroid symptoms, and low cholesterol from not enough sugar in my diet, so I took responsibility for my health and started slowly adding a daily dose of natural desiccated thyroid( NutriMeds). I stopped eating raw greens, stopped eating nuts, grains, seed oil and olive oil, stopped eating chicken, stopped whey protein. Daily I eat (very) boiled potatoes, 2x pastured eggs, grass fed lamb or beef once a week, and liver (beef, lamb, or pork) once a week, daily 3 scoops of collagen powder, raw shredded carrot salad with salt and a little apple cider vinegar. I drink about 1.5 - 2 qt raw milk with 2-3 tbs pure cane sugar per glass every day. about 1 qt orange juice with added salt (to get pure salt I use Morton's canning salt.) the milk with sugar and OJ is to increase my cholesterol. It was below 120 now it was 168 at my last test. To reduce my iron load, I started donating blood. I supplement with kelp for iodine), selenium, copper, zinc, Vit D, A, K and E. since I started, eating more peat friendly, my hair has become less gray. The new hair growing in is coming in brown. is one visible sign that something has improved. MY skin has stopped its scaly texture, especially noticeable on my legs. My waking body temperature is now around 97.8. It had been below 97 when I started. I stopped using any shampoo or soap with any estrogen's.

I'm still working on bringing up my daily body temperature, after waking is drops to 97.4 and seems to be stuck there.

Your journey will probably look something like mine, I went into a lot of detail to give you some idea of when might be needed to have a peat friendly diet to regain your optimum health.

EIRE24

a year ago I was in the same place as you. My Kaiser HMO Dr. refused me a thyroid prescription because I was "normal" (TSH = 2.96) I certainly had low metabolism with many hypothyroid symptoms, and low cholesterol from not enough sugar in my diet, so I took responsibility for my health and started slowly adding a daily dose of natural desiccated thyroid( NutriMeds). I stopped eating raw greens, stopped eating nuts, grains, seed oil and olive oil, stopped eating chicken, stopped whey protein. Daily I eat (very) boiled potatoes, 2x pastured eggs, grass fed lamb or beef once a week, and liver (beef, lamb, or pork) once a week, daily 3 scoops of collagen powder, raw shredded carrot salad with salt and a little apple cider vinegar. I drink about 1.5 - 2 qt raw milk with 2-3 tbs pure cane sugar per glass every day. about 1 qt orange juice with added salt (to get pure salt I use Morton's canning salt.) the milk with sugar and OJ is to increase my cholesterol. It was below 120 now it was 168 at my last test. To reduce my iron load, I started donating blood. I supplement with kelp for iodine), selenium, copper, zinc, Vit D, A, K and E. since I started, eating more peat friendly, my hair has become less gray. The new hair growing in is coming in brown. is one visible sign that something has improved. MY skin has stopped its scaly texture, especially noticeable on my legs. My waking body temperature is now around 97.8. It had been below 97 when I started. I stopped using any shampoo or soap with any estrogen's.

I'm still working on bringing up my daily body temperature, after waking is drops to 97.4 and seems to be stuck there.

Your journey will probably look something like mine, I went into a lot of detail to give you some idea of when might be needed to have a peat friendly diet to regain your optimum health.
Where did you purchase the thyroid and also I'd love to know what you think made the biggest difference to your skin? Is your fat intake low?

artlange

Where did you purchase the thyroid and also I'd love to know what you think made the biggest difference to your skin? Is your fat intake low?
I bought the natural desiccated thyroid at the Nutri-meds.com web site.
I believe my skin improved due to overall better nutrition, stopping PUFA, adding coconut oil and butter, and starting thyroid supplements. My fat intake is about 3-4tbs/day. (coconut oil and butter, mostly, and more when I eat beef, lamb, or liver.

Back
Top Bottom