Topical Vitamin A For Skin Issues

J

j.

Does anybody have experience using Topical Vitamin A for acne of dandruff? What product do you use and how should it be applied?

I eat liver weekly and cheese and eggs often.

Birdie

For an alternative idea, if you have Carlson Vit A, you could do what I do. I prick the soft gel with a pin and squeeze out the contents for use. It does have safflower oil in it but through the skin should be no problem. Other ingredients are gelatin + glycerin.

ilovethesea

If we're using topical vitamin A should we be worried about sunlight? According to this it's dangerous:

EWG's 10th Annual Guide to Safer Sunscreens

A study by U.S. government scientists suggests that retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A, may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight (NTP 2012). Officials in Germany and Norway have cautioned that retinyl palmitate and other vitamin A ingredients in cosmetics could contribute to vitamin A toxicity due to excessive exposure (German BfR 2014, Norwegian SCFS 2012a).

Anyone know how to interpret that study?

BastiFuntasty

If we're using topical vitamin A should we be worried about sunlight? According to this it's dangerous:

EWG's 10th Annual Guide to Safer Sunscreens

A study by U.S. government scientists suggests that retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A, may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight (NTP 2012). Officials in Germany and Norway have cautioned that retinyl palmitate and other vitamin A ingredients in cosmetics could contribute to vitamin A toxicity due to excessive exposure (German BfR 2014, Norwegian SCFS 2012a).

Anyone know how to interpret that study?
Vit a is highly unsaturated, that's the simple reason for its toxicity in combination with sunlight I suppose.

ilovethesea

Vit a is highly unsaturated, that's the simple reason for its toxicity in combination with sunlight I suppose.

So even though Ray recommends topical application of vitamin A, it's dangerous if that body part gets sun exposure? I'm confused and wondering why he never mentioned that.

ilovethesea

I found this here... The Great Sunscreen Cover Up « Science-Based Medicine

Is Retinyl Palmitate Causing Cancer?
The EWG report evaluates the different ingredients and formulations of sunscreens and uses its own ranking system to assign a score. Their scoring system is internally developed, and has not been validated, but the methodology is reasonably transparent.

Based on the coverage of the EWG’s report, you might get the impression that sunscreens containing retinyl palmitate are causing cancer. Retinyl palmitate is a form of vitamin A commonly used in cosmetic products to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. The EWG points to a 2009 study of retinyl palmitate on mice as their main cause for concern. Treated mice, and a control group were exposed to the equivalent of nine minutes of noontime Florida sun daily, for a year. Compared to the control group, the RP group developed more tumours. That’s adequate evidence to avoid the product says the EWG. But is this finding relevant? The mice were treated with retinyl palmitate — not sunscreen that contained retinyl palmitate. It’s known that retinyl palmitate can be a photosensitizer. When used as a single ingredient cream, as with other forms of vitamin A, you must wear sunscreen, or you’ll burn more easily. So how relevant is this mouse study to human subjects, wearing sunscreens containing retinyl palmitate? It’s difficult to say. Study completion and peer review is expected by 2011. What’s the best approach until then? Well, given that retinyl palmitate isn’t approved as a sunscreen, there’s no compelling rationale for it to be in these products. It’s not unreasonable to avoid it if desired, but there’s no persuasive evidence to suggest its presence is a sound reason to skip sunscreen.

mt_dreams

So even though Ray recommends topical application of vitamin A, it's dangerous if that body part gets sun exposure? I'm confused and wondering why he never mentioned that.

Ray mentioned this as I was aware of this issue prior to starting vitamin A drops 2 years ago. I'm also quite certain this would have come up on the retinil thread page as lot of people take it topically. t-shirts dont have full protection, so lower half of the body is usually best if you are coming into contact with sun .. just to be safe.

seano

Mega-doses of retinoids are used for acne. They always come with a warning to avoid the sun. The extreme example is accutane (aka Isotretinoin) which has strong warnings about sun exposure. I sadly was put on this in my teens. Wrecked me and may be the reason for my liver/gallbladder issues an ongoing digestion issues.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
Mega-doses of retinoids are used for acne. They always come with a warning to avoid the sun. The extreme example is accutane (aka Isotretinoin) which has strong warnings about sun exposure. I sadly was put on this in my teens. Wrecked me and may be the reason for my liver/gallbladder issues an ongoing digestion issues.

Does accutane wreck most people? I took it for a few months as a younger teen and didn't really notice anything but dry skin for a while.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals