Topical Vit D Absorption

Amazoniac

This study says topical vitamin d get absorbed much better than oral
Transdermal vs Oral Vitamin D Absorption
I wonder why that was featured on the Venom D Wiki website.

- Evaluation of vehicle substances on vitamin D bioavailability: A systematic review

Each curve could represent an experiment:

upload_2019-12-6_20-39-39.png

The red is the change interval for one of them, which was divided by the daily dose: they was after how much an IU of venom alters bloody killcidiol in different experiments to compare. There are no units when multiplying by 100, it's just for practical purposes to work with hundreds of IU, isolating it would've made things clearer.

What they did is ignoring the length (the horizontal axis in this case), which is fine since there was probably enough time for the concentration to level (as they tend to over time). What is not fine is ignoring the baseline (lowest point on the vertical axis) because this will affect the interval and the impact of dosing (greater if severely deficient). Mean baseline values for the experiments were all over the place, for example, in the topical it was 30 nmol/l, while the others were 40, 50, 20, and 70 nmol/l.

Relying on low supplemental doses maximizes their use and it distorts the interpration, giving the impression that it's better because of route.

The topical people had an increase of 65 nmol/l with 5000 IU/d, whereas the fish oil people next to it in his graph had a change of 32 nmol/l with 400 IU/d. With these numbers we can suspect something strange when the guy suggests that transdermal is more efficient. And to confirm, those would be equivalent to a rise in 1.3 and 8 nmol/l for every 100 IU taken daily (obtained from dividing the change by the daily dose and multiplying by 100), the transdermal value is close to the other experiments. I have no idea where he got 47.14 from, with 200 IU he would already surpass the increase.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

I'm on a mobile device, so it's going to be difficult to make my post ridiculous, but the team from the topical experiment above has another one that's similar, both had subjects with a baseline level of about 30 nmol/l and went to 95 nmol/l after 3 months of intoxication.

- Dose Response to Vitamin D Supplementation in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Trial

Their diet was relatively pure before intervention and started from about 40 nmol/l to reach 110 nmol/l after 6 months. They mentioned that it tended to plateau beyond a certain intake and period, which is why it was commented above that the use of low doses in an experiment can mislead.

But in the transdermal people the change was 65 nmol/l, whereas here it was 70 nmol/l, both using about 5000 IU/d, yet there were differences such as vehicles and killcium control. Since there was no difference between 6 and 12 months, maybe we can disconsider their length.

There are other influencing factors, but the closer we can get the conditions, the better it is for comparison. It would be useful if someone is willing to search for an experiment that used 5000 IU/d, had baseline levels around 30 nmol/l (12 ng/ml, divided by 2.5), and if possible as a bonus had lasted or measured levels again after 3 months or so.

There isn't much to conclude from these, both routes work, the body has a desired range and it will try to keep the level within, so the person has a safe margin of intakes. We would need lower doses and more frequent testing to detect changes that are masked by higher doses in the long-term.

Last edited:

mrsuomi

I'm on a mobile device, so it's going to be difficult to make my post ridiculous, but the team from the topical experiment above has another one that's similar, both had subjects with a baseline level of about 30 nmol/l and went to 95 nmol/l after 3 months of intoxication.

- Dose Response to Vitamin D Supplementation in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Trial

Their diet was relatively pure before intervention and started from about 40 nmol/l to reach 110 nmol/l after 6 months. They mentioned that it tended to plateau beyond a certain intake and period, which is why it was commented above that the use of low doses in an experiment can mislead.

But in the transdermal people the change was 65 nmol/l, whereas here it was 70 nmol/l, both using about 5000 IU/d, yet there were differences such as vehicles and killcium control. Since there was no difference between 6 and 12 months, maybe we can disconsider their length.

There are other influencing factors, but the closer we can get the conditions, the better it is for comparison. It would be useful if someone is willing to search for an experiment that used 5000 IU/d, had baseline levels around 30 nmol/l (12 ng/ml, divided by 2.5), and if possible as a bonus had lasted or measured levels again after 3 months or so.

There isn't much to conclude from these, both routes work, the body has a desired range and it will try to keep the level within, so the person has a safe margin of intakes. We would need lower doses and more frequent testing to detect changes that are masked by higher doses in the long-term.
So which do you think works the best? Topical or oral?

laleto12

my vitamin d levels came 21.9 ng/mL after 4 months of tanning. I've supplemented vitamin d in various doses in last 2-3 years. I dont know why it is so low. Everyone says supplement and get it up to 50 ng/mL. Im not sure if supplements work at all if any though. What do you think?

Amazoniac

- The efficacy of different vitamin D supplementation delivery methods on serum 25(OH)D: a randomised double-blind placebo trial

"We wanted to compare the delivery of 100,000IU vitamin D3 by three methods. Two methods of oral supplementation (pill [prolonged release] and liquid [immediate release]), and delivery through the skin (with and without a penetrator enhancer)."

"Participants took their allocated supplements over a 24-hr period with serum 25(OH)D retested 4 weeks later."

"The skin application group was asked to apply the oil twice in the 24-hour period on their limbs and torso until it was fully absorbed. The active pill and oral supplementations were all available commercially (Sunvit-D3 Ltd, UK), the active skin application used commercially available hypoallergenic mineral oil (Johnson & Johnson, Inc) combined with the aforementioned oral supplementation and the essential oil (Miaroma, France). The placebo supplements were either manufactured by a university pharmacy department (pills), commercially available syrup (PureGusto, 150 UK) and hypoallergenic mineral oil (Johnson & Johnson, Inc)."

1607978834607.png

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals