Topical T3 For Hair Loss?

Mori68

In summary, if I rub liquid T3 on my scalp will I grow long luscious locks, @haidut?

Has anyone had success with this approach yet?

DaveFoster

I don't think using water as a solvent would be very effective. Maybe DMSO would work better.

paymanz

T3 as cytomel?

I'm interested to know that as well.not only for hair regrowth but also for improving skin quality, healing scars ,....

m_arch

I don't think using water as a solvent would be very effective. Maybe DMSO would work better.
I read somewhere that dmso can damage hair follicle's? but i'm not sure. it sounds like achieving a 85bpm heart rate and 37c temp is more important for a head of hair than actual topical application - I mean they don't put finastride on the hair... its a pill, right?

DaveFoster

I read somewhere that dmso can damage hair follicle's? but i'm not sure. it sounds like achieving a 85bpm heart rate and 37c temp is more important for a head of hair than actual topical application - I mean they don't put finastride on the hair... its a pill, right?
Minoxidil (rogaine) is put on the hair.

AdrianPo

Finasteride also is used topically, but I think it isn't FDA approved that way.

TubZy

T3 as cytomel?

I'm interested to know that as well.not only for hair regrowth but also for improving skin quality, healing scars ,....

I'm interested as well. I was thinking adding some to a 3% salicyclic acid shampoo since it is way easier to use that than getting aspirin to dissolve. Taurine and niacinimide seem to dissolve fine in it.

Only one I found at that is hypoallergenic and paraben free.

Shop DCL Salicylic Acid Shampoo at LovelySkin.com.

Last edited:

TubZy

Here is the study on topical T3 and hair growth. Pretty impressive. We need to try this. I don't handle DMSO that well (i think it's from my low cortisol) especially putting it on my head so tyronene is out for me, but I found USA peptide has liquid T3 without DMSO so maybe adding to shampoo or topical ethanol solution could work?

Topical triiodothyronine stimulates epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in mice and rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The skin is a classic target tissue for thyroid hormone action. Although the histology of skin in hypothyroid states is well documented, the literature contains little assessment of skin in thyrotoxic states. In light of the paucity of information on skin under the influence of excess thyroid hormone, we investigated the direct effect of thyroid hormone on skin. Triiodothyronine (T3) was applied topically daily in liposomes to SKH-1 hairless mice for 7 days and to CD rats for 2 weeks. There was a dose-dependent increase in epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in T3-treated animals. Mice that received 3.8 microg of T3 had 42% more hairs per millimeter than controls (p < 0.01), hair length that was 1,180% longer (p < 0.001), 49% greater epidermal 3H-thymidine incorporation (p < 0.01), and 80% more 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine (BrdU) stained cells (p < 0.05). Rats receiving 12.8 microg T3 had 48% greater dermal thickness than controls (p < 0.001), 26% greater epidermal thickness (p < 0.001), 85% more hairs per millimeter (p < 0.005), and 130% greater 3H-thymidine incorporation into the epidermis (p < 0.01). Thus, topically applied thyroid hormone has dramatic effects on both skin and hair growth. These observations offer a new strategy for developing thyroid hormone and its analogues for treating disorders of skin and hair growth.

Progesterone

As someone who has a TSH of 4.23, I am SUPER interested in trying out topical T3 !

Actually I may be interested in T3 orally as normally directed.

Lots of scary shedding stories about it...

Last edited:

TubZy

As someone who has a TSH of 4.23, I am SUPER interested in trying out topical T3 !

Actually I may be interested in T3 orally as normally directed.

Lots of scary shedding stories about it...

Get that down to less than 1.0, if you can. Caffeine, methylene blue, aspirin, reducing PUFA are all ways to lower TSH without suppressing your natural thyroid (like cynomel/T3 would).

Caffeine acts like a thyroid surrogate in the body, which is probably why caffeine can regrow hair and T3 can as well.

Shedding from too much T3 is from pushing metabolism too hard without proper fuel causing stress response, IMO. Could be from cortisol getting too high without proper fuel (glucose). I noticed the same issue when I was taking high amounts of caffeine with no enough sugar, my hair would itch more, not the case anymore after I built up tolerance and took in more sugar (with more vit C too).

Last edited:

Progesterone

Get that down to less than 1.0, if you can. Caffeine, methylene blue, aspirin, reducing PUFA are all ways to lower TSH without suppressing your natural thyroid (like cynomel/T3 would).

Caffeine acts like a thyroid surrogate in the body, which is probably why caffeine can regrow hair and T3 can as well.

Shedding from too much T3 is from pushing metabolism too hard without proper fuel causing stress response, IMO. Could be from cortisol getting too high without proper fuel (glucose). I noticed the same issue when I was taking high amounts of caffeine with no enough sugar, my hair would itch more, not the case anymore after I built up tolerance and took in more sugar (with more vit C too).

I didn't realize aspirin was still a thing, I thought it was sort of debunked and whatnot. Please school me? Take a baby aspirin once a day?

You're talking about oral caffeine right? First I've heard that it's GOOD for something like this...

I take 200mg caffeine preworkout. (I used to take 21mg of ephedrine with it as well since 2010 but stopped as I think this was a contributing factor in my hairloss). ANYWAYS, what's a good caffeine dosage?? this is... quite interesting to hear it's so good for hair.

Your third sentence is the ***t and makes so much sense. Coincidentally... I started working out again seriously, this time no more NO/LOW carb crap and not focusing on getting a lot of protein, etc. I'm doing it right this time. Getting at least 100g+ of protein a day (new zealand whey, chicken, beef, wtv) and good carbs, especially if I worked out that day.

Can you please explain the caffeine/sugar balance? What type of sugar, OJ.. fruit juice, things of this nature?

How much Vit C do you take per day? I was doing 10g at one point but now less..

methylene blue seems a bit risky to me... it seems to work well in rats in boosting Thyroid, but... in humans as well? It seems to have a lot of possible side effects too..

Last edited:

Progesterone

I’ve tried it several times. I don’t react well to thyroid and it speeds up my hair loss...even topically on my scalp

Thank you sir. I noticed the same I think.

How about Methylene Blue (1mg daily) + 12mg prog or so nightly (consumed orally in veggie capsule for durability)?

LukeL

I always felt like methylene blue, aspirin, and niacinamide topically slowed down my shedding. It didn’t stop it though. Prog never halted my hair loss either. It’s crazy how hard stopping hair loss is

Progesterone

I always felt like methylene blue, aspirin, and niacinamide topically slowed down my shedding. It didn’t stop it though. Prog never halted my hair loss either. It’s crazy how hard stopping hair loss is

Interesting.

What dosage of aspirin?

I'm a bit hesitant on niacinamide..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals