Topical T3 Dramatically Stimulates Hair Growth

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this just a quick follow up and possible enhancement over the approach discussed in my previous post on estrogen causing hair loss. The study below demonstrated that applying daily the HED of a few mcg of T3 per square inch of skin increased hair length by several thousand percent. As such, a combination of an anti-estrogen discussed in the post above and a T3 solution (in ethanol, acetone, etc) may very well be synergistic for hair growth.

Topical triiodothyronine stimulates epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in mice and rats - PubMed
"...The skin is a classic target tissue for thyroid hormone action. Although the histology of skin in hypothyroid states is well documented, the literature contains little assessment of skin in thyrotoxic states. In light of the paucity of information on skin under the influence of excess thyroid hormone, we investigated the direct effect of thyroid hormone on skin. Triiodothyronine (T3) was applied topically daily in liposomes to SKH-1 hairless mice for 7 days and to CD rats for 2 weeks. There was a dose-dependent increase in epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in T3-treated animals. Mice that received 3.8 microg of T3 had 42% more hairs per millimeter than controls (p < 0.01), hair length that was 1,180% longer (p < 0.001), 49% greater epidermal 3H-thymidine incorporation (p < 0.01), and 80% more 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine (BrdU) stained cells (p < 0.05). Rats receiving 12.8 microg T3 had 48% greater dermal thickness than controls (p < 0.001), 26% greater epidermal thickness (p < 0.001), 85% more hairs per millimeter (p < 0.005), and 130% greater 3H-thymidine incorporation into the epidermis (p < 0.01). Thus, topically applied thyroid hormone has dramatic effects on both skin and hair growth. These observations offer a new strategy for developing thyroid hormone and its analogues for treating disorders of skin and hair growth."

Broken man

Ye, I tried it but only for few days because I have the eugenol version and its irritating my skin.

Risingfire

I tried it but vodka makes my scalp dry...
I've tried tyronene for a few days but never gave it a chance. Seemed to be fine on my scalp. I wonder if you use progesterone in conjunction right after will hydrate your skin and amplify the effect

Broken man

I've tried tyronene for a few days but never gave it a chance. Seemed to be fine on my scalp. I wonder if you use progesterone in conjunction right after will hydrate your skin and amplify the effect
I am using tyromax and for like 2 weeks, for now, only thing thing that changed about my hair is that its not curly like it was before and Its calming effect on my head.

Traveler186

I am posting this just a quick follow up and possible enhancement over the approach discussed in my previous post on estrogen causing hair loss. The study below demonstrated that applying daily the HED of a few mcg of T3 per square inch of skin increased hair length by several thousand percent. As such, a combination of an anti-estrogen discussed in the post above and a T3 solution (in ethanol, acetone, etc) may very well be synergistic for hair growth.

Topical triiodothyronine stimulates epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in mice and rats - PubMed
"...The skin is a classic target tissue for thyroid hormone action. Although the histology of skin in hypothyroid states is well documented, the literature contains little assessment of skin in thyrotoxic states. In light of the paucity of information on skin under the influence of excess thyroid hormone, we investigated the direct effect of thyroid hormone on skin. Triiodothyronine (T3) was applied topically daily in liposomes to SKH-1 hairless mice for 7 days and to CD rats for 2 weeks. There was a dose-dependent increase in epidermal proliferation, dermal thickening, and hair growth in T3-treated animals. Mice that received 3.8 microg of T3 had 42% more hairs per millimeter than controls (p < 0.01), hair length that was 1,180% longer (p < 0.001), 49% greater epidermal 3H-thymidine incorporation (p < 0.01), and 80% more 5-bromo-2'-deoxyuridine (BrdU) stained cells (p < 0.05). Rats receiving 12.8 microg T3 had 48% greater dermal thickness than controls (p < 0.001), 26% greater epidermal thickness (p < 0.001), 85% more hairs per millimeter (p < 0.005), and 130% greater 3H-thymidine incorporation into the epidermis (p < 0.01). Thus, topically applied thyroid hormone has dramatic effects on both skin and hair growth. These observations offer a new strategy for developing thyroid hormone and its analogues for treating disorders of skin and hair growth."

Haidut. Can you tell us the correct dosing for a rat of say 100kg? Similar to the topical Progesterone in the Estrogen not Androgens article?

Cameron

Anyone try this one the face for beard growth? Topically or orally using t3 to stimulate androgenic facial hair growth?

Lejeboca

Posting here the findings of the paper below on hair growth. For its findings on hair pigmentation see this post.

Thyroid Hormones Directly Alter Human Hair Follicle Functions: Anagen Prolongation and Stimulation of Both Hair Matrix Keratinocyte Proliferation and Hair Pigmentation

From Results in the abstract:

Studying microdissected, organ-cultured normal human scalp HFs, we show here that T4 up-regulates the proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes, whereas their apoptosis is down-regulated by T3 and T4 . T4 also prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) in vitro, possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-beta2, the key anagen-inhibitory growth factor. Because we show here that human HFs transcribe deiodinase genes (D2 and D3), they may be capable of converting T4 to T3 . Intrafollicular immunoreactivity for the recognized thyroid hormone-responsive keratins cytokeratin (CK) 6 and CK14 is significantly modulated by T3 and T4 (CK6 is enhanced, CK14 down-regulated).
1691206067321.png

Last edited:

Lejeboca

An illuminating review paper "underlining the diversity of the molecular signals that control hair growth and pigmentation".

Hair biology: an update

On steroids in hair growth (page 3):
If androgens seem to play a major role in hair growth control, other natural ligands of the large steroid receptor family cannot be ignored, such as retinoic acid, vitamin D, triiodothyronin (T3), or even arachidonic acid metabolites. In fact, nuclear receptors for each of these ligands have been recently identified in human hair follicle and, more importantly, functionally characterized [29--32]. It is worth noting that, with the exception of retinoic acid, each of these factors has a beneficial effect on in vitro hair growth, but only within a well defined concentration range. This is another example of the very delicate regulatory system of human hair growth and homeostasis.

Anyone try this one the face for beard growth? Topically or orally using t3 to stimulate androgenic facial hair growth?
Hormones, particularly androgens, are also considered as key modulators of human hair growth, as androgenetic alopecia is mainly a male feature. Although the role of local androgen metabolism has now been established, one must keep in mind that androgen sensitivity differs from one anatomical siteto another, because androgens have opposite effects on beard, pubic hairs and scalp hairs. These differences seem to be related to the expression level of dermal papilla androgen receptors [27],