Topical or Oral Vitamin E

J

j.

Is applying vitamin E topically more effective?

I'm thinking that if you take vitamin E orally, it will quickly reach the bloodstream and excess be eliminated. If you apply it topically, it will slowly move from the tissues to the bloodstream, so less will be eliminated and more will be used.

Wilfrid

Ray told me once that vitamin E is stored in the tissue rather than being quickly eliminated.
That is one «big» dose of vitamin E taking once a week will be continuing to act for several days.
As for the transdermal vitamin E ( or other topically applied liposoluble vitamin), I found the ratio that Ray often recommends (1:5) to be insufficient.
After following advice of Dr. Adrian Williams, I found that around (more or less) 10% of the applied vitamin is effectively absorbed (even when using Limonene, aloe vera and oleic acids rich olive oil (the spanish Picúal variety) as carriers/enhancers , as those three compounds are probably the most effective transdermal enhancers for liposoluble vitamins available to the «ordinary» customer). Jojoba oil and/or Emu oil may be good transdermal enhancers too.
It will quickly be pricy to put enough vitamin E on skin to get a therapeutic effect.
I remembered Ray saying that he use Nutrisorb A on his skin, and I found micellized vitamins ( Nutrisorb A and Life extension vitamin D liquid one) to be very quickly and more efficiently (comparing to oil mixed ones) absorbed through the skin (and especially—>) when I put them on the top of my feet or on my throat ( as I have the scent of those vitamins in my breath very quickly).

jyb

Wilfrid said:
I remembered Ray saying that he use Nutrisorb A on his skin, and I found micellized vitamins ( Nutrisorb A and Life extension vitamin D liquid one) to be very quickly and more efficiently (comparing to oil mixed ones) absorbed through the skin (and especially—>) when I put them on the top of my feet or on my throat ( as I have the scent of those vitamins in my breath very quickly).

It's not the first time I hear feet as an area favourable for absorption, like in magnesium foot bath. Is it just because its convenient, or is the skin at the feet optimized for absorption?

Wilfrid

Hi Jyb,

The skin on this area is very thin which may explain it.
I noticed a very very fast absorbing effect when I'm standing and waiting to clearly see my foot's veins (up to the point that the veins are literally swollen and I can pinch them) and then applying the vitamins directly on the most biggest swollen ones.
After that, I try to lie down just for 2-3 minutes and,as I said, my breath is smelling the scent of the vitamin. (My wife also confirmed that!)

OP
J

j.

Great information, Wilfrid.

I was reading, apparently it's not known what controls the movement of vitamin E from adipose tissue to the bloodstream.

Even if someone exercises and uses fat for energy, that doesn't mean vitamin E will move from the adipose tissue to the bloostream, according to some websites.

So I suppose the goal in vitamin E supplementation is to increase its concentration in adipose tissue so that it will go to the bloodstream when needed?

Wilfrid

j. said:
So I suppose the goal in vitamin E supplementation is to increase its concentration in adipose tissue so that it will go to the bloodstream when needed?

I think so too.

Wilfrid

@j,

I read that you were using AC grace vit E topically with success.
What the dosage you are currently using?
Which brand give you the best results topically?
I think that you rotate between Swanson and Carlson orally, but are you using those too topically?
It seems that I get positive results from the carlson (E gems 200 UI) orally but no significant effect topically.
With my crohn's, if I take, for too long, the vitamin E (Carlson) I have minor bowel problems like small bleeding and have to counteract it with higher amount of K. The "right" ratio is a tricky one to find.
But topically, never get,so far, any effects at all with the E.

OP
J

j.

I use Unique E topically just because I don't have anything else at the moment. And it seems to work topically. I don't know what the best brands are.

I will be diminishing my dose, by feel. I already feel I want less. I was using multiple pills per day, I don't know how many, maybe four, for about a week.

Swanson and Carlson worked orally, then the weather became really hot, and that changed the pills and I think caused some kind of trouble, maybe digestive, so I don't like them orally now either. Next time I'll store them in the fridge.

The K, by feel, I tend to take 4 mg per day, but that was before this E experiment. I don't have Thorne at the moment to know what I would take by feel daily. I take 1 pill of the AOR brand which has 15 mg every few days.

Peata

Instead of swallowing the pills or rubbing E on the skin, what about squirting it under tongue - sublingually. Wouldn't it still bypass the liver this way but get into the system more effectively than topical?

honeybee

I use progest-e regularly. I don't think anyone ever mentions this source as a vit-e source-mainly as a vehicle for the progesterone. Or if it was mentioned then I missed the reference. This should "count" as a vit e supplement, correct? If anyone has an answer. :)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
honeybee said:
I use progest-e regularly. I don't think anyone ever mentions this source as a vit-e source-mainly as a vehicle for the progesterone. Or if it was mentioned then I missed the reference. Anyone, this should "count" as a vit e supplement, correct? If anyone has an answer. :)
I believe the vitamin e content varies between 4-22mg per drop of Progest-e. It would be hard to be real precise with e dosage due to this variability. I still view it as a situation where some is better than none! That's just me. I also get e through estro-ban.

OP
J

j.

If a drop has 3 mg of progesterone, and the solution is 10% progesterone, it would have 27 mg of vitamin E, which I think is more than the RDA, but most supplements have more.

10 drops would have about 400 IU, which is a standard amount in supplements.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
j. said:
If a drop has 3 mg of progesterone, and the solution is 10% progesterone, it would have 27 mg of vitamin E, which I think is more than the RDA, but most supplements have more.

10 drops would have about 400 IU, which is a standard amount in supplements.
I think it is a bit different too because of the olive/coconut oil base.

Wilfrid

@j.,

It may be a little off topic but I found this (very interesting) study ( sadly I can't get access to the full text) through Ray's book ( Progesterone in Orthomolecular medicine):

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1982;393:48-60.
Kinetics of tissue alpha-tocopherol uptake and depletion following administration of high levels of vitamin E.
Machlin LJ, Gabriel E.
Abstract
Following administration of high levels of vitamin E, plasma tocopherol levels in mature humans and monkeys continued to increase with time. In man plasma tocopherol levels were higher when tocopherol rather than tocopheryl acetate was given. Mature female rats that had been maintained on laboratory chow were put on the diet supplemented with either 1,000 or 10,000 mg/kg of all-rac-alpha-tocopheryl acetate. All tissues analyzed (plasma, platelets, liver, red blood cells, adipose tissue, heart, lung, skeletal muscle, and brain) continued to increase in tocopherol content for the duration of the supplement (20 weeks). It was concluded that it is difficult to saturate tissue with tocopherol and that not only the level, but the duration, of supplementation with vitamin E influences the concentration of vitamin E in all tissues. Liver and adipose tissue both accumulated tocopherol at a very rapid rate compared to other tissues, but once the chow diet was resumed, liver tocopherol decreased very rapidly and adipose tissue decreased very slowly. The studies suggest that at least for a short time period, the liver is the major available storage organ for tocopherol. When animals were put back on the unsupplemented chow diet, platelet and plasma levels returned to baseline values within 1 week, and red blood cells, heart, muscle, lung, and brain within 4 weeks.

OP
J

j.

Wilfrid said:
Kinetics of tissue alpha-tocopherol uptake and depletion following administration of high levels of vitamin E.

It seems like very long term supplementation might be beneficial.

himsahimsa

I think this study is a cautionary tale. The amount of E fed to the animals was huge and they never saturated. That means the regulation of E by their bodies was zero, which makes sense since in nature, the availability of E is trivial.

So if E is chronically artificially supplied at high levels, it continues to accumulate. There is no reason to think that extremely high tissue levels are inherently good. More likely they are disruptive.

OP
J

j.

Why would it be disruptive? I think I read from the Linus Pauling institute that the liver is extremely efficient at getting rid of vitamin E if it wants to reduce the blood level. Doesn't vitamin E in adipose tissue just stay there waiting to be called to go to the bloodstream?

The amount of E fed to the animals was huge and they never saturated. That means the regulation of E by their bodies was zero,

I think another possibility is that the body regulates vitamin E to increase it in adipose tissue as much as possible because vitamin E is beneficial.

I'm just speculating in case it isn't clear.