Topical DHEA Has Potent Anti-aging Effects On Human Skin

haidut

Forum Supporter
I often get emails in regards to possible interventions with anti-aging effects on skin. The study I usually quote is an old one (circa 1967) that did extensive tests on 200+ people with age range of 57-88 years residing in a retirement home, and demonstrated that topical testosterone (1%) cream had the most potent anti-aging effects in both men and women, followed closely by 1% progesterone and 1% pregnenolone.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.575.1488&rep=rep1&type=pdf
"..."...The male hormone, testosterone, has a rejuvenating or ameliorative effect when applied to aging human skin. Clinically evident changes, such as effacement of wrinkles, hair growth, and augmented sweating, are present but modest, particularly when compared to the improvement in the microscopic architecture of the skin. Progesterone and pregnenolone produce similar but more diminutive alterations. The female hormone, ethinyl estradiol, was without effect, while the corticosteroids accentuated the degradative changes of senescence."

More recent studies have examined the effects of DHEA on aging skin but most of those studies used oral administration and extremely high doses that result in hyperestrogenicity. The study below is a good find because it demonstrates that topical DHEA administration (in the form of 1% and 2% DHEA creams) has robust anti-aging effects on the skin when applied twice daily for 13 weeks. A plausible mechanism of action, according to the study, is the highly androgenic effects of DHEA administration, including BOTH 3-fold increase in expression of the androgen receptor (AR) as well as increased synthesis of DHT by the skin using DHEA as a precursor. There was no change in the expression of any of the estrogen receptors. This lack of estrogenic effect of topical DHEA (combined with the striking effectiveness of testosterone and ineffectiveness of estradiol in the retirement home study) raises serious doubts in regards to the claims made about estrogen's purported anti-aging effects. Despite the damning results from the WHI studies in regards to estrogen, the drug industry has slowly been re-introducing estrogen as HRT for older women and one of the main "selling points" the industry has been using is the purported strong anti-aging effects of estrogen on the skin. Well, topical testosterone converts mostly into DHT and so does DHEA. Multiple human and animal studies have demonstrated that both of these interventions have potent anti-aging effects and the proposed mechanisms of both is the increase in androgenic tone. No increase in estrogenic tone was observed as a result of any of those interventions. In addition, the increase in DHT from the treatments has anti-estrogenic effects of its own. I will let my readers draw their own conclusions if androgens or estrogens are the true anti-aging agents. To me at least, the evidence is quite clear :):

Skin responses to topical dehydroepiandrosterone: implications in antiageing treatment? - PubMed
"...In this prospective placebo-controlled, randomized study, the data show the effects of DHEA treatment on the levels of AR, procollagen 1 and 3, and HSP47 in the skin of postmenopausal women. A marked stimulation by DHEA of AR levels was observed in the epidermis, in the absence of specific modification of overall epidermal architecture. In the dermis, a marked increase in the expression of types 1 and 3 procollagen was observed together with an increased expression of HSP47, a procollagen chaperone protein.33 An increase of 574% over basal levels of the serum DHEA concentration was observed after twice-daily application of a 2% DHEA cream, while a much lower transformation into both androgens and oestrogens was measured, thus indicating the limited transformation of DHEA into active sex steroids in postmenopausal women.28 In light of this effect of DHEA on the serum levels in postmenopausal women, we investigated for the first time the consequences of DHEA treatment on overall skin structure, morphology and gene expression, including both the epidermis and dermis compartments. In a previous study, it was observed that after 4 weeks of topical application of DHEA, procollagen a1 significantly increased in both aged and young human skin.29 In mice, after 3 weeks of daily administration of a DHEA physiological dose, an increase of AR expression was observed in epidermal cells and in sebocytes.22 AR expression was also reported in human eccrine sweat glands and in scalp skin.32,34–36 In the present study, AR expression was detected in most of the nuclei of the epidermal cells and a significant increase was detected in response to DHEA treatment compared with placebo. These findings, in addition to those describing the presence in the skin of the main steroidogenic enzymes26,37,38 are in agreement with the belief that the human skin synthesizes a significant amount of sex steroids from DHEA, including the potent androgen DHT.26 Using immunostaining, we also investigated the expression of ERa in epidermal cells where a low expression was observed in most of the nuclei (data not shown). ERb expression was also investigated and in agreement with previous observations,32 a much stronger expression than the ERa immunostaining was observed in most of the nuclei. However, the expression of ERa and ERb did not change when comparing the DHEA-treated groups with the placebo group."

"...The present study describes an increase in the expression of both procollagen 1 and 3 mRNA following local application of DHEA. In addition, we have shown that HSP47 protein levels significantly increased with DHEA treatment. As HSP47 has been described as a type I collagen chaperone protein,33 this upregulation underlines early modification in the regulation of extracellular matrix production. In addition, the HSP47 immunostaining showed an important increase in dermal fibroblast size in response to DHEA treatment. In conclusion, it is well known that the skin undergoes regressive changes after menopause and that these changes are mainly related to a loss of skin collagen content. The potent stimulatory effect of topical DHEA reflected by an increase in the number and size of dermal fibroblasts and the expression of procollagen types 1 and 3 suggest the possibility that topical DHEA could be a useful antiageing agent in the skin."

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
How many mg DHEA is in a 2% cream? And is that amt safe for women to use on face and arms daily? I’m 44

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How many mg DHEA is in a 2% cream? And is that amt safe for women to use on face and arms daily? I’m 44

A 2% cream usually means 20mg/ml concentration. Whether it is safe depends entirely on how much is applied and how much is absorbed. The animal studies they cite talk about a physiological dose having great anti-aging effects and that means applying 10mg-15mg daily. I don't think it is safe to apply more than 20mg daily even if the expected absorption is low.

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
A 2% cream usually means 20mg/ml concentration. Whether it is safe depends entirely on how much is applied and how much is absorbed. The animal studies they cite talk about a physiological dose having great anti-aging effects and that means applying 10mg-15mg daily. I don't think it is safe to apply more than 20mg daily even if the expected absorption is low.

Got it. thanks!

Mauritio

Wouldnt it be safer to apply a pregnenolone cream, especially since it doesnt aromatize and according to the 1967 has almost the same anti aging effects as topical testosterone /dhea ?

Last edited:

Mauritio

Something like this one , it contains 15mg pregnenolone per pump .
The ingredients seem pretty good ,it also contains Vitamin E, stearic acid , caprylic acid and aloe vera .
Life-flo, Pregnenolon, 2 oz (57 g)

Mauritio

This is the study haidut was talking about:

I wanted to chime in because I keep getting emails and PMs in regards to this interview and cholesterol in particular. Many people keep asking me to release a cholesterol-based product for skin health/aging. I actually looked at cholesterol for skin health several years ago and there appear to be much better options. Many studies have looked at the effects of cholesterol and its derivatives (steroids) on skin health and have found that the derivatives (steroids) have much more potent effects. Androgens like T are usually the most potent, but progesterone/pregnenolone are not far behind. Here is a human study that tested those steroids.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.575.1488&rep=rep1&type=pdf
"...The male hormone, testosterone, has a rejuvenating or ameliorative effect when applied to aging human skin. Clinically evident changes, such as effacement of wrinkles, hair growth, and augmented sweating, are present but modest, particularly when compared to the improvement in the microscopic architecture of the skin. Progesterone and pregnenolone produce similar but more diminutive alterations. The female hormone, ethinyl estradiol, was without effect, while the corticosteroids accentuated the degradative changes of senescence.

So, I think we have that covered already with CortiNon (progesterone/DHEA), Pansterone (pregnenolone/DHEA) or even androsterone as topical anti-aging products. Any of these is likely superior to plain cholesterol and when combined with a product that contains vitamins A/K/D/E which are also highly beneficial for skin, it becomes a really powerful approach for skin aging/health. Finally, since in women DHEA converts readily into T the progesterone/DHEA combo may be a perfect replication of that old study above.
Just my 2c.

Sumbody

I often get emails in regards to possible interventions with anti-aging effects on skin. The study I usually quote is an old one (circa 1967) that did extensive tests on 200+ people with age range of 57-88 years residing in a retirement home, and demonstrated that topical testosterone (1%) cream had the most potent anti-aging effects in both men and women, followed closely by 1% progesterone and 1% pregnenolone.

"..."...The male hormone, testosterone, has a rejuvenating or ameliorative effect when applied to aging human skin. Clinically evident changes, such as effacement of wrinkles, hair growth, and augmented sweating, are present but modest, particularly when compared to the improvement in the microscopic architecture of the skin. Progesterone and pregnenolone produce similar but more diminutive alterations. The female hormone, ethinyl estradiol, was without effect, while the corticosteroids accentuated the degradative changes of senescence."

More recent studies have examined the effects of DHEA on aging skin but most of those studies used oral administration and extremely high doses that result in hyperestrogenicity. The study below is a good find because it demonstrates that topical DHEA administration (in the form of 1% and 2% DHEA creams) has robust anti-aging effects on the skin when applied twice daily for 13 weeks. A plausible mechanism of action, according to the study, is the highly androgenic effects of DHEA administration, including BOTH 3-fold increase in expression of the androgen receptor (AR) as well as increased synthesis of DHT by the skin using DHEA as a precursor. There was no change in the expression of any of the estrogen receptors. This lack of estrogenic effect of topical DHEA (combined with the striking effectiveness of testosterone and ineffectiveness of estradiol in the retirement home study) raises serious doubts in regards to the claims made about estrogen's purported anti-aging effects. Despite the damning results from the WHI studies in regards to estrogen, the drug industry has slowly been re-introducing estrogen as HRT for older women and one of the main "selling points" the industry has been using is the purported strong anti-aging effects of estrogen on the skin. Well, topical testosterone converts mostly into DHT and so does DHEA. Multiple human and animal studies have demonstrated that both of these interventions have potent anti-aging effects and the proposed mechanisms of both is the increase in androgenic tone. No increase in estrogenic tone was observed as a result of any of those interventions. In addition, the increase in DHT from the treatments has anti-estrogenic effects of its own. I will let my readers draw their own conclusions if androgens or estrogens are the true anti-aging agents. To me at least, the evidence is quite clear :):

Skin responses to topical dehydroepiandrosterone: implications in antiageing treatment? - PubMed
"...In this prospective placebo-controlled, randomized study, the data show the effects of DHEA treatment on the levels of AR, procollagen 1 and 3, and HSP47 in the skin of postmenopausal women. A marked stimulation by DHEA of AR levels was observed in the epidermis, in the absence of specific modification of overall epidermal architecture. In the dermis, a marked increase in the expression of types 1 and 3 procollagen was observed together with an increased expression of HSP47, a procollagen chaperone protein.33 An increase of 574% over basal levels of the serum DHEA concentration was observed after twice-daily application of a 2% DHEA cream, while a much lower transformation into both androgens and oestrogens was measured, thus indicating the limited transformation of DHEA into active sex steroids in postmenopausal women.28 In light of this effect of DHEA on the serum levels in postmenopausal women, we investigated for the first time the consequences of DHEA treatment on overall skin structure, morphology and gene expression, including both the epidermis and dermis compartments. In a previous study, it was observed that after 4 weeks of topical application of DHEA, procollagen a1 significantly increased in both aged and young human skin.29 In mice, after 3 weeks of daily administration of a DHEA physiological dose, an increase of AR expression was observed in epidermal cells and in sebocytes.22 AR expression was also reported in human eccrine sweat glands and in scalp skin.32,34–36 In the present study, AR expression was detected in most of the nuclei of the epidermal cells and a significant increase was detected in response to DHEA treatment compared with placebo. These findings, in addition to those describing the presence in the skin of the main steroidogenic enzymes26,37,38 are in agreement with the belief that the human skin synthesizes a significant amount of sex steroids from DHEA, including the potent androgen DHT.26 Using immunostaining, we also investigated the expression of ERa in epidermal cells where a low expression was observed in most of the nuclei (data not shown). ERb expression was also investigated and in agreement with previous observations,32 a much stronger expression than the ERa immunostaining was observed in most of the nuclei. However, the expression of ERa and ERb did not change when comparing the DHEA-treated groups with the placebo group."

"...The present study describes an increase in the expression of both procollagen 1 and 3 mRNA following local application of DHEA. In addition, we have shown that HSP47 protein levels significantly increased with DHEA treatment. As HSP47 has been described as a type I collagen chaperone protein,33 this upregulation underlines early modification in the regulation of extracellular matrix production. In addition, the HSP47 immunostaining showed an important increase in dermal fibroblast size in response to DHEA treatment. In conclusion, it is well known that the skin undergoes regressive changes after menopause and that these changes are mainly related to a loss of skin collagen content. The potent stimulatory effect of topical DHEA reflected by an increase in the number and size of dermal fibroblasts and the expression of procollagen types 1 and 3 suggest the possibility that topical DHEA could be a useful antiageing agent in the skin."

Could similar results be achieved by applying Pansterone or Cortinon to problem areas of the face? Such as fine lines, etc.?

Kray

@haidut
As someone else asked, can you weigh in on applying Pansterone to face as a good option if I have some on hand already? Is there any benefit that the pregnenolone combined with the dhea in Pansterone could mitigate any negative effects of DHEA alone, as suggested above?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Could similar results be achieved by applying Pansterone or Cortinon to problem areas of the face? Such as fine lines, etc.?

Absolutely, and we have reports from several clients that it works quite well for that purpose.
@Kray

Beastmode

@haidut

Peat told me to mix a little dhea and/or progest-e with some olive oil for this kind of effect. A family member did say something about my face in regards to it looking more youthful recently that got me thinking this played a role as my diet hasn't changed since starting the past month.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Peat told me to mix a little dhea and/or progest-e with some olive oil for this kind of effect. A family member did say something about my face in regards to it looking more youthful recently that got me thinking this played a role as my diet hasn't changed since starting the past month.

Great, glad it is helping! Thanks for the feedback.

Lejeboca

Here is a study from 2008, confirming that DHEA topically is a good alternative to oral administration for the skin, that DHEA effects are possibly due to its conversion to T.

Objectives: Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a steroid hormone involved in physiological aging. When administered by oral
route, it has been shown to positively affect skin condition on aged people. The purpose of this pilot study was to observe the in
vivo effects on skin aging of topical DHEA (1%).
Methods: The DHEA formulation (1%) or the vehicle was topically applied for 4 months to facial and hand skin, in two groups
of 20 post-menopausal women. The efficacy of the treatment was evaluated on the basis of clinical and biophysical signs linked
to skin aging.
Results: We showed that DHEA treatment increased the rate of sebum, which was perceived rather positively by a menopausal
population usually affected with a declining sebum level. Topical DHEA tends to improve skin brightness, to counteract papery
appearance of skin and epidermal atrophy, a characteristic feature of hormone-related skin aging. Topical DHEA could also act
on skin process related to wrinkles
, but this result remains to be confirmed.
Conclusions: This pilot study showed beneficial effects on skin characteristics that are rarely provided by topical treatments. It
raised some interesting clues towards the treatment of skin aging.

1635813613208.png

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Here is a study from 2008, confirming that DHEA topically is a good alternative to oral administration for the skin, that DHEA effects are possibly due to its conversion to T.

Objectives: Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) is a steroid hormone involved in physiological aging. When administered by oral
route, it has been shown to positively affect skin condition on aged people. The purpose of this pilot study was to observe the in
vivo effects on skin aging of topical DHEA (1%).
Methods: The DHEA formulation (1%) or the vehicle was topically applied for 4 months to facial and hand skin, in two groups
of 20 post-menopausal women. The efficacy of the treatment was evaluated on the basis of clinical and biophysical signs linked
to skin aging.
Results: We showed that DHEA treatment increased the rate of sebum, which was perceived rather positively by a menopausal
population usually affected with a declining sebum level. Topical DHEA tends to improve skin brightness, to counteract papery
appearance of skin and epidermal atrophy, a characteristic feature of hormone-related skin aging. Topical DHEA could also act
on skin process related to wrinkles
, but this result remains to be confirmed.
Conclusions: This pilot study showed beneficial effects on skin characteristics that are rarely provided by topical treatments. It
raised some interesting clues towards the treatment of skin aging.

Thanks. And yes, DHEA raises T levels in women (a lot more than in men) regardless of what route is used. Since that old study found T had the strongest anti-wrinkle effects in elderly, and this study argues the same, that means a progesterone/DHEA combo would be a really good, legal, option for women and possibly beneficial for men as well.

Lejeboca

Thanks. And yes, DHEA raises T levels in women (a lot more than in men) regardless of what route is used. Since that old study found T had the strongest anti-wrinkle effects in elderly, and this study argues the same, that means a progesterone/DHEA combo would be a really good, legal, option for women and possibly beneficial for men as well.

Yep. Quoting this paper:
Most of the efficient hormonal treatment for epidermal atrophy includes some testosterone [19,32,33]. As far as DHEA is concerned, its effect on epidermal atrophy could be related to the recent observations of its metabolism in skin [34]. The authors show that the transformation of exogenous topical DHEA in post-menopausal women skin is preferentially into androgens. So, we could estimate that this anabolic effect is similar to the testosterone effect previously reported.

And no negative T effects. Quoting again:
Any sign of androgen excess such as body hair growth or greasy skin was not spontaneously reported. Ten weeks after the beginning of the treatment, one woman of the DHEA group presented some lesions of acne which resolved without any complementary treatment, just by reducing the frequency of cream application during the following 2 weeks.

Green Dot

Nice! How many ml of olive oil and g of DHEA did you mix?

Grapelander

Dr. Peat talked about dermal DHEA in his interview with World Puja Foundation: (27:25)

"Solid DHEA dissolved in vitamin E, quick acting and controllable form and circulate and distribute itself without affecting liver. If you take it in crystalline powdered from, the liver will get the first opportunity to metabolize it, that’s when it most easily turns into estrogen, if it’s dissolved completely in oil, if you don’t mind eating extra olive oil, butter, coconut oil, can melt it into that."

Attachments

• Ray Peat Broadcast World Puja Foundational Hormones.docx
    34.9 KB · Views: 87
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals