Topical DHEA for muscle growth and strength gains

Spartan300

It could be that you have desensitized GR in the hypothalamus. Have you ever tested ACTH and 24 hour cortisol?
First time anyone has offered a theory on this Hans so I'm very grateful and keen to know more.

I've not had those tests but I'll discuss with my GP.

Ahead of that discussion do you know of corrective action that may help?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
My rationale is that a large dose like that could trickle down into testosterone in sufficient amounts that I don't have to also take testosterone.
My natty test levels are only 400ng/dl, if I could get them to 800ng/dl with DHEA only I'd be happy.
Only about 1.5% of DHEA is converted to testosterone, which makes DHEA is a very poor precursor. I would rather focus on dietary and lifestyle factors first.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
First time anyone has offered a theory on this Hans so I'm very grateful and keen to know more.

I've not had those tests but I'll discuss with my GP.

Ahead of that discussion do you know of corrective action that may help?
If 24-hour cortisol is elevated all the time (way above range) and ACTH is low/normal, then it might be an adrenal tumor. If ACTH is also high, then the hypothalamus is overactive, which means that cortisol is not inhibiting CRH release, which likely means that your GR is desensitized. Emodin has been shown to upregulate the GR again. There are other compounds as well.

Spartan300

I really appreciate this, thankyou. The situation has come about over the last 8ish years, a period of intense stress so I feel there's some mileage here.

I'll see if I can get the tests done, thanks again

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I really appreciate this, thankyou. The situation has come about over the last 8ish years, a period of intense stress so I feel there's some mileage here.

? I'm sure it will give you a good idea of what to address next.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

Forgot to ask, did you check LH, FSH, prolactin and GH (IGF-1) are well?

baccheion

My rationale is that a large dose like that could trickle down into testosterone in sufficient amounts that I don't have to also take testosterone.
My natty test levels are only 400ng/dl, if I could get them to 800ng/dl with DHEA only I'd be happy.
DHEA can sometimes increase testosterone indirectly via increasing estrogen. The T:E2 ratio is the same, though. Even a few mg has the effect. Another option is full replacement. That is, DHEA can agonise the androgen receptor. IIRC, it's 20 mg DHEA for 1 mg T? You can look that up. Fairly certain it then leads to 100s of mg per day (sustained release).

opethfeldt

Anyone know if DHEA is converted to DHT in meaningful quantities in the testes? The enzymes needed to convert it seem to be present, so I don't see why not.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
DHEA can sometimes increase testosterone indirectly via increasing estrogen. The T:E2 ratio is the same, though. Even a few mg has the effect. Another option is full replacement. That is, DHEA can agonise the androgen receptor. IIRC, it's 20 mg DHEA for 1 mg T? You can look that up. Fairly certain it then leads to 100s of mg per day (sustained release).
How does estrogen increase testosterone? Estrogen lowers testosterone by inhibiting LH release. Only about 1.5% of DHEA is converted to testosterone, it's really ineffective for a male.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Anyone know if DHEA is converted to DHT in meaningful quantities in the testes? The enzymes needed to convert it seem to be present, so I don't see why not.
It does convert mostly to 5 alpha reduced steroids yes, namely androsterone, androstanediol, 3a-diol and 3b-diol.

baccheion

How does estrogen increase testosterone? Estrogen lowers testosterone by inhibiting LH release. Only about 1.5% of DHEA is converted to testosterone, it's really ineffective for a male.
There was a study showing increased hormone levels as a result of DHEA. Everything.. doubled? That is, the T:E2 ratio remained the same.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
There was a study showing increased hormone levels as a result of DHEA. Everything.. doubled? That is, the T:E2 ratio remained the same.
If you can find it, can you share it? DHEA increases testosterone a lot in women, but that's because their T is so low to begin with. It increases T to the same extent in men, but since we have a lot more T, it barely makes a dent.

76er

What are the recommended body parts for DHEA topical application?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What are the recommended body parts for DHEA topical application?
I apply it on the muscles I train. So if I do sprints and weights, it's quads, shoulders and chest.

76er

I apply it on the muscles I train. So if I do sprints and weights, it's quads, shoulders and chest.

Ok, Interesting.

I did purchase a bottle of the BHRT Naturals topical DHEA.

I'm just finishing up my oral DHEA and then I'll report back after I try topical for a month or two.

I was planning on 25mg daily of topical.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Ok, Interesting.

I'm just finishing up my oral DHEA and then I'll report back after I try topical for a month or two.

Excited to hear about your experience.

rr1

Ok, Interesting.

I would be weary of using even more than 5mg to start with. Some people notice benefits from as little as 2-3mg topically. Remember that it converts to estrogen in excess

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals