Topical DHEA can suppress you (and increase testosterone)!

Santosh

Conclusion : don't stop taking transdermal DHEA or your estrogen will triple.

When you keep taking the transdermal DHEA there is enough DHT and enough upstream androgens to counter estrogens.
The issue is when you stop.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Conclusion : don't stop taking transdermal DHEA or your estrogen will triple.

When you keep taking the transdermal DHEA there is enough DHT and enough upstream androgens to counter estrogens.
The issue is when you stop.
Yes, I've been thinking about that; if the increase in DHT and 5AR metabolites are enough to combat the increase in E1 and E2. I think it mostly depends on the person. How much E1 and E2 they produce and how sensitive they are to the estrogens.
I've heard quite a few anecdotes of men who initially feel great, but then start getting estrogenic symptoms. I think smaller doses like 10-20mg are likely better and then people can go high depending on their symptoms.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What do you think about oral DHEA?
In young men, 50mg daily doesn't increase testosterone. It can increase testosterone a bit in elderly men but doesn't restore it to youthful levels. Not an effective way of increasing testosterone IMO. On the flip side, oral DHEA doesn't suppress you either.

Sexypizza

I took DHEA topically for a year at a dose of 5 to 10 mg. I had practically no issues and many positive effects from it as long as I stayed in that range. I also stopped abruptly and didn't notice much negatives when I did that.

Santosh

Yes, I've been thinking about that; if the increase in DHT and 5AR metabolites are enough to combat the increase in E1 and E2. I think it mostly depends on the person. How much E1 and E2 they produce and how sensitive they are to the estrogens.
I've heard quite a few anecdotes of men who initially feel great, but then start getting estrogenic symptoms. I think smaller doses like 10-20mg are likely better and then people can go high depending on their symptoms.

I have the exact opposite problem if I take massive transdermal DHEA doses on its own without combining it with oral DHEA : my estrogens get crushed to the point neck pain becomes unbearable and all the water is sucked out of me.

Santosh

What about when paired with pregnenolone?

As Haidut said about a million times, pregnenolone most likely prevents steroids induced suppression.

No guarantee, but not much suppression either from DHEA. None that you'll notice unless you draw bloods.

Peatfan69

@Hans is there any natural way to help maintain LH/suppression when using these hormones at high doses? For example, royal jelly seems to negate AAS induced suppression. So would it be wise to supplement something like this if we experiment with high doses of DHEA (500mg + either oral or topical)?

Also is there any benefit of pre dissolving DHEA powder when taking it orally? Like in MCT oil/olive oil first and then ingesting the oil (DHEA dissolved in MCT Oil) rather than just ingesting the straight micronized powder w/ no oil from a bioavailability standpoint?

Mister

I took DHEA topically for a year at a dose of 5 to 10 mg. I had practically no issues and many positive effects from it as long as I stayed in that range. I also stopped abruptly and didn't notice much negatives when I did that.
You still have PFS?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I have the exact opposite problem if I take massive transdermal DHEA doses on its own without combining it with oral DHEA : my estrogens get crushed to the point neck pain becomes unbearable and all the water is sucked out of me.
That's really interesting. I'd be very curious to see your hormones via a DUTCH test.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans is there any natural way to help maintain LH/suppression when using these hormones at high doses? For example, royal jelly seems to negate AAS induced suppression. So would it be wise to supplement something like this if we experiment with high doses of DHEA (500mg + either oral or topical)?

Also is there any benefit of pre dissolving DHEA powder when taking it orally? Like in MCT oil/olive oil first and then ingesting the oil (DHEA dissolved in MCT Oil) rather than just ingesting the straight micronized powder w/ no oil from a bioavailability standpoint?
There's nothing really that going to prevent the drop in LH, except SERMs perhaps. According to that study in the article, the steroid very mildly lowered testosterone and didn't cause complete suppression. Royal jelly might help a little, but I doubt it's going to be anything significant.
Check this vid I made where I explain towards the end why I don't like DHEA as an HRT option:
View: https://youtu.be/yN9cSvpnLbI

You don't have to dissolve DHEA since oral DHEA is quite effective at restoring DHEA and DHEA when taken orally.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What does "suppress" mean here? Suppress what? Other steroids?
When a steroid suppresses you (eg. test lower LH, thyroid lowers TSH, etc.), it's referred to as suppression. In some it's good, e.g. too much LH or TSH and so on.

Connor888

When a steroid suppresses you (eg. test lower LH, thyroid lowers TSH, etc.), it's referred to as suppression. In some it's good, e.g. too much LH or TSH and so on.
@Hans Is it safe to start taking oral DHEA at 10 mg? I have loss of libido and cold sensitivity and heard it can help with that.