Topical Antifungal Options (D3 As Anti Staph?)

Peatogenic

I've long suspected some type of a staph infection due to a boil I would get once a year, some strange skin symptoms on arms, and also a forehead rash I get in humid weather or when I sweat. It turns out that the forehead symptoms are consistent with folliculitis and that staph is often behind folliculitis.

I came across a dermatology study that showed people with folliculitis treated with oral antibiotics develop a worse condition and that they improve dramatically with a topical antifungal.

Interestingly, I noticed that my skin responds well to D3 which I apply on my wrist. I've also noticed improvements with oral riboflavin. Even with strict avoidance of grains and dairy. But nothing long term. It seems internally modulated to a degree, but is maybe requiring a topical intervention.

Does anyone have recommendations for topical antifungals? Solban doesn't work, or at least not in a curative sense. I'm wary of tea tree oil and allergic reactions. I put some Calcirol (D3) on one of these strange pimples that seems to have a pink pool of blood around it last night, and this morning the pimple is still there but no more pooling. Based on @haidut 's post here about topical D3 treating staph, I'm curious of this route. The study with rapid remission used topical flueconazole.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I have used vinegar but it is pretty harsh and can burn the skin. Once the area was reduced with the vinegar, I used hydrogen peroxide. The mycelia still grows underneath the dead stuff but it keeps it from spreading. I tried some boron internally and that helped but the estrogenic effects were too great so now I use a little borax dissolved in water on the area. This seems to work. Use some hydrogen peroxide on the boil initially. Fluconazole is very effective so a topical version might work the fastest.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

I have used vinegar but it is pretty harsh and can burn the skin. Once the area was reduced with the vinegar, I used hydrogen peroxide. The mycelia still grows underneath the dead stuff but it keeps it from spreading. I tried some boron internally and that helped but the estrogenic effects were too great so now I use a little borax dissolved in water on the area. This seems to work. Use some hydrogen peroxide on the boil initially. Fluconazole is very effective so a topical version might work the fastest.

Thank you...im thinking topical D3 and maybe topical fluconazole...but am also curious of your borax mixture. Could you specify the specific borax brand, etc?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was thinking a topical borax solution too. I put 20 mule team borax powder in my work shoes as an athlete’s foot preventative.

D

danishispsychic

A couple things worked for a bad fungal thing on one of my dogs. Borax baths, and my super fave - Johnsons Foot Soap. It has boron and iodine in it and works like a charm. You can make like a paste out of it too and just let it sit on your skin for a while. UV light too if you have a little light box. Coconut oil with Borax works too, like make a " scrub " out of it.

LLight

I put some Calcirol (D3) on one of these strange pimples that seems to have a pink pool of blood around it last night, and this morning the pimple is still there but no more pooling. Based on @haidut 's post here about topical D3 treating staph, I'm curious of this route.

If I'm not mistaken Calcirol does not contain the form of vitamin D3 that is used in the study you mentionned.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

If I'm not mistaken Calcirol does not contain the form of vitamin D3 that is used in the study you mentionned.

All Haidut wrote was that they used D3 with an ethanol carrier. But i didn't know there were different kinds of D3

LLight

All Haidut wrote was that they used D3 with an ethanol carrier. But i didn't know there were different kinds of D3
To quote the study:

"However, in mouse CAMP transgenic macrophages, TLR activation in the presence of 25(OH)D3 did not induce expression of either CAMP or CYP27B1 as would normally occur in human macrophages, reinforcing important species differences in the actions of vitamin D. Transgenic mice did show increased resistance to colonization by Salmonella typhimurium in the gut. Furthermore, the human CAMP gene restored wound healing in the skin of Camp KO mice. Topical application of 1,25(OH)2vitamin D3 to the skin of CAMP transgenic mice induced CAMP expression and increased killing of Staphylococcus aureus in a wound infection model."

They say that "normally" the 25(OH) form (which is contained in Calcirol) should promote the production of the antimicrobial cathelicidine. Except that in their model, it doesn't work with 25(OH)D3 but with the 1,25(OH) form only.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

To quote the study:

"However, in mouse CAMP transgenic macrophages, TLR activation in the presence of 25(OH)D3 did not induce expression of either CAMP or CYP27B1 as would normally occur in human macrophages, reinforcing important species differences in the actions of vitamin D. Transgenic mice did show increased resistance to colonization by Salmonella typhimurium in the gut. Furthermore, the human CAMP gene restored wound healing in the skin of Camp KO mice. Topical application of 1,25(OH)2vitamin D3 to the skin of CAMP transgenic mice induced CAMP expression and increased killing of Staphylococcus aureus in a wound infection model."

They say that "normally" the 25(OH) form (which is contained in Calcirol) should promote the production of the antimicrobial cathelicidine. Except that in their model, it doesn't work with 25(OH)D3 but with the 1,25(OH) form only.

Ok, thank you for the alert. Have you by chance explored topical D3 with a specific skin issue?

LLight

Ok, thank you for the alert. Have you by chance explored topical D3 with a specific skin issue?

Sorry, no.

IMHO, I would not try to supplement vitamin D3 but would try the other ideas that have been posted here, i.e. vinegar, borax/boron, coconut oil which are known antifungals.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Sorry, no.

IMHO, I would not try to supplement vitamin D3 but would try the other ideas that have been posted here, i.e. vinegar, borax/boron, coconut oil which are known antifungals.

Thanks, yeah I understand the trepidation with Vit D. I actually started taking it with Vit A and noticed major healing with a trauma disorder. But when I introduced B2, my skin began rapidly improving (but was short term...hence why the study that topical antifungal are important is interesting)....so it's interesting finding the post here that talks about the importance of using B2 with D supplementation. That makes a lot of sense to me, and correlates with my experience.

Lilac

I have had a little patch of what I now think is ringworm on my hand for maybe a year. I treated it with methylene blue and aspirin, which only controlled the patch. This past past week, I thought to use Fungasoap on it. That product helped me cure a small circle of athlete's foot that I could not cure for the longest time. The Fungasoap has dried out the patch on my hand. It is now a bit sore, but the ring seems to be shrinking.

https://www.amazon.com/PediFix-Fung..._1_1?keywords=fungasoap&qid=1579382395&sr=8-1

Christoph

I've long suspected some type of a staph infection due to a boil I would get once a year, some strange skin symptoms on arms, and also a forehead rash I get in humid weather or when I sweat. It turns out that the forehead symptoms are consistent with folliculitis and that staph is often behind folliculitis.

I came across a dermatology study that showed people with folliculitis treated with oral antibiotics develop a worse condition and that they improve dramatically with a topical antifungal.

Interestingly, I noticed that my skin responds well to D3 which I apply on my wrist. I've also noticed improvements with oral riboflavin. Even with strict avoidance of grains and dairy. But nothing long term. It seems internally modulated to a degree, but is maybe requiring a topical intervention.

Does anyone have recommendations for topical antifungals? Solban doesn't work, or at least not in a curative sense. I'm wary of tea tree oil and allergic reactions. I put some Calcirol (D3) on one of these strange pimples that seems to have a pink pool of blood around it last night, and this morning the pimple is still there but no more pooling. Based on @haidut 's post here about topical D3 treating staph, I'm curious of this route. The study with rapid remission used topical flueconazole.

I really like peppermint essential oil mixed with MCTs as a topical anti fungal. 8 drops of peppermint to each teaspoon of MCT works well.

if you’re in a hurry and in the US, you can try Absorbine Jr. it’s active ingredient is menthol, which is also a major compound in peppermint oil. I prefer the oils because they are gentle.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Thank you...im thinking topical D3 and maybe topical fluconazole...but am also curious of your borax mixture. Could you specify the specific borax brand, etc?
I use the 20 Mule Team Borax found in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores that @Blossom mentioned.
I make a supersaturated solution and then add a little more borax. I spread a layer on my affected skin, let it dry and lightly dust off the white residue. The Johnson foot soap @danishispsychic mentioned sounds really good. I need to look for that.
I tried the fungasoap @Lilac used but my particular fungus wasn’t impeded by it.
It is my understanding that the boil you sometimes get is a sign that the fungus is established and branching out to new territory to put it simply. Depending on the fungus causing your symptoms the fluconazole can either be fungicidal or fungistatic.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

I use the 20 Mule Team Borax found in the laundry aisle at most grocery stores that @Blossom mentioned.
I make a supersaturated solution and then add a little more borax. I spread a layer on my affected skin, let it dry and lightly dust off the white residue. The Johnson foot soap @danishispsychic mentioned sounds really good. I need to look for that.
I tried the fungasoap @Lilac used but my particular fungus wasn’t impeded by it.
It is my understanding that the boil you sometimes get is a sign that the fungus is established and branching out to new territory to put it simply. Depending on the fungus causing your symptoms the fluconazole can either be fungicidal or fungistatic.

Thanks, I got the borax today as well as glycerin. Will try your recipe first. Yeah, I have had a boil on my butt a couple of times, spread a year apart. The forehead rash when I sweat (but not always)...and recently noticed pink spots around a handful of hairs on my arm. Currently benign issues, it seems, but I definitely want to target the forehead rash. A year ago, when I started taking B2 and strictly cut grains and milk, my forehead not only didn't rash, but it also lost these vague looking discolorations....its like an extremely mild form of rosacea.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

To quote the study:

I asked Haidut and he said: "All forms of vitamin D have this antibiotic effect. The 1,25-OH is only available by prescription. Calcirol has D3, which in the body converts into 1,15-OH vitamin D. So, it should also work when applied topically."

I don't understand the reasoning, or have the biochemistry understanding, but that's his input.

LLight

"All forms of vitamin D have this antibiotic effect."

25-D does not activate the Human VDR - Prof. Marshall's Perspective - PROF. MARSHALL'S PERSPECTIVE - The Marshall Protocol Study Site

"you can see the primary flaw in their argument - 25-D only started to induce significant transcription when it is at concentrations around 250nmol/L, or 100ng/ml. Which levels are of course toxic in-vivo."

If the VDR is not activated, there is no antimicrobial peptides created. At least not by this way.
"Calcirol has D3, which in the body converts into 1,15-OH vitamin D. So, it should also work when applied topically."

It should! Or not.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

"All forms of vitamin D have this antibiotic effect."

25-D does not activate the Human VDR - Prof. Marshall's Perspective - PROF. MARSHALL'S PERSPECTIVE - The Marshall Protocol Study Site

"you can see the primary flaw in their argument - 25-D only started to induce significant transcription when it is at concentrations around 250nmol/L, or 100ng/ml. Which levels are of course toxic in-vivo."

If the VDR is not activated, there is no antimicrobial peptides created. At least not by this way.
"Calcirol has D3, which in the body converts into 1,15-OH vitamin D. So, it should also work when applied topically."

It should! Or not.

Not to mention, topical application would have no ability for conversion if looking for topical effect, is my thought.

LLight

Not to mention, topical application would have no ability for conversion if looking for topical effect, is my thought.

I'm very far to understand all the fine details of the vitamin D metabolism and its impact on the immune system but I will give you my opinion:

The vitamin D metabolism seems to be well controled by the body. I'm not sure that supplementing vitamin D in the 25(OH) form (inactive) would necessarily induce a significant increase in the 1,25(OH) form. Benefits you experience by supplementing the 25(OH) form could rather be from its anti-inflammatory property than a hypothetical immune stimulating action.