Topical Antifungal Options (D3 As Anti Staph?)

LLight

A recent study on 25(OH) vitamin D form:
25-vitamin D reduces inflammation in uremic environment

"The aim of this study was to investigate the role of 25-vitamin D on inflammatory pathways in healthy and uremic environment. Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), oxidative stress (ROS), vitamin D receptor (VDR), 1-α hydroxylase (CYP27), 24 hydroxylase, cathelicidin, and MCP-1 were evaluated in monocytes exposed to a uremic serum pool compared with healthy pool. The human monocytes lineage (U937) was incubated with or without 25-vitamin D (50 ng/ml for 24 hours). TRL4, VDR, CYP27, CYP24, and ROS were evaluated by flow cytometry."

Results are given in the following table:

sshot.jpg

Antimicrobial peptides (cathelicidin) was not increased in healthy people and was even decreased in uremic patients.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

"The novelty of our study, however, was demonstrating that 25-vitamin D was capable to reduce TLR-4, MCP-1, and cathelicidin in a uremic environment. Taken together, our findings provide evidence that vitamin D has a role in protecting against inflammation, at least mediated by monocytes.

The high TLR4 expression is important to improve the infection response, however the continuous expression leads to a release of pro-inflammatory cytokines."

So it's ...partially anti-inflammatory?

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

One thing that really stood out to me in the uremic study is that vit D was only administered for 24 hours if I read that correctly.

Just as you can't infer from low vitamin D status in infected patients as reason to supplement, we can't infer that vit D was even administered correctly. I think that's the biggest takeaway...that it has complicated dosing parameters. Not to mention any long term studies of D supplementation that I'm aware of.

Role of Magnesium in Vitamin D Activation and Function | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association

Vitamin B2 is apparently crucial as well.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Further clarification from Haidut:

"Right, but this was in-vitro. When 25-OH is applied it is converted into 1,25-OH. In fact, there are human trials demonstrating supplementing with D3 (cholecalciferol), as found in our product Calcirol, reliably increases CAMP levels and is protective sepsis. So, it should work just like 1,25-OH and this echoes Peat's words when people asked him about the difference in effects between 1,25-OH and cholecalciferol and he said they work the same but the latter is safer.
Effect of cholecalciferol supplementation on vitamin D status and cathelicidin levels in sepsis: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial"

LLight

One thing that really stood out to me in the uremic study is that vit D was only administered for 24 hours if I read that correctly.

Just as you can't infer from low vitamin D status in infected patients as reason to supplement, we can't infer that vit D was even administered correctly.

As Haidut pointed out, it was an in vitro study so I'm not sure whether 24h is too short to see activation of the VDR and the creation of antimicrobial peptides.

The controlled trial he gave you is interesting indeed!

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

As Haidut pointed out, it was an in vitro study so I'm not sure whether 24h is too short to see activation of the VDR and the creation of antimicrobial peptides.

The controlled trial he gave you is interesting indeed!

He was referring to the staph-bacteria study on the other post, not the one you posted.

"All forms of vitamin D have this antibiotic effect."

25-D does not activate the Human VDR - Prof. Marshall's Perspective - PROF. MARSHALL'S PERSPECTIVE - The Marshall Protocol Study Site

"you can see the primary flaw in their argument - 25-D only started to induce significant transcription when it is at concentrations around 250nmol/L, or 100ng/ml. Which levels are of course toxic in-vivo."

If the VDR is not activated, there is no antimicrobial peptides created. At least not by this way.
"Calcirol has D3, which in the body converts into 1,15-OH vitamin D. So, it should also work when applied topically."

It should! Or not.

I took interest in Trevor Marshalls Health journey,his Sarcoidosis brought him the idea,a disease which causes, similar to tuberculosis,hypercalcaemia,and the notion of derangement of D metabolism.Of note here is one of Marshalls mistakes,a grave one though:

"you can see the primary flaw in their argument - 25-D only started to induce significant transcription when it is at concentrations around 250nmol/L, or 100ng/ml. Which levels are of course toxic in-vivo."

..But 100ng/ml are fine and physiologic,achieved in sufferers of Psoriasis and the ensuing Phototherapy,in a couple of weeks of sessions.He claims that there is toxicity present,but it is the presence of physiologic and needed D,which induces transcription.

johnwester130

piroctone olamine

better than zinc pyrithione and nizoral

dissolve in 50% ethanol/water

stuff like topical borax, apple cider vinegar/ garlic/onions/tea tree oil is incomparable

I've long suspected some type of a staph infection due to a boil I would get once a year, some strange skin symptoms on arms, and also a forehead rash I get in humid weather or when I sweat. It turns out that the forehead symptoms are consistent with folliculitis and that staph is often behind folliculitis.

I came across a dermatology study that showed people with folliculitis treated with oral antibiotics develop a worse condition and that they improve dramatically with a topical antifungal.

Interestingly, I noticed that my skin responds well to D3 which I apply on my wrist. I've also noticed improvements with oral riboflavin. Even with strict avoidance of grains and dairy. But nothing long term. It seems internally modulated to a degree, but is maybe requiring a topical intervention.

Does anyone have recommendations for topical antifungals? Solban doesn't work, or at least not in a curative sense. I'm wary of tea tree oil and allergic reactions. I put some Calcirol (D3) on one of these strange pimples that seems to have a pink pool of blood around it last night, and this morning the pimple is still there but no more pooling. Based on @haidut 's post here about topical D3 treating staph, I'm curious of this route. The study with rapid remission used topical flueconazole.

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

My long winded weird skin issues vanished 4 months ago when I started using Noble zinc soap. I also stopped wearing a hat at the same time, but not sure if related. No changes to diet or anything else. I still use a beta glucan serum on face to hopefully strengthen skin barrier. I have absolutely zero indications of previous issues.

golder

Amazing that zinc pyrithione cleared up all your skin issues. I'm going to get hold of a bar and coat it on my face for 5 minutes before going in the shower. Can you link the glucan serum you've also had success with? Thanks!

OP
Peatogenic

Peatogenic

Amazing that zinc pyrithione cleared up all your skin issues. I'm going to get hold of a bar and coat it on my face for 5 minutes before going in the shower. Can you link the glucan serum you've also had success with? Thanks!

This serum is stellar and has consistently positive reviews. It's commonly used as a recovery serum following tissue damage. I started taking it when I realized that a compromised skin barrier is probably an important problem with rosacea. The zinc soap dries out your skin a lot, so probably good to hydrate with something regardless.

Beta Glucan Recovery Serum

golder

Appreciate that thank you. That serum looks interesting, can everyone share their collective expertise here on the safety of its ingredients:

FULL INGREDIENTS LIST
Water, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Beta glucan, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Butylene Glycol