Topic Watch, Board Notification Mod Installed, PLEASE READ!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Today I installed a modification that lets you control how you receive notifications on new posts. You can access the setting in the "user control panel" under "Board Preferences" and then click on "Edit Post Notification Options". Or you can reach it by simply clicking this link:

ucp.php?i=boardwatch&mode=boardwatch

By default, it enables you to be notified on any new post. You can easily change that setting by clicking "no".

Some of you were asking for this so I hope this helps! :ugeek:

Birdie

Re: Topic Watch, Board Notification Mod Installed, PLEASE RE

Very helpful. Thanks, Charlie.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

You are welcome, Birdie. :greenwave

:thumbup

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Unfortunately this modification is not working right and causing problems. I had to take it off. Sorry for any problems it may have caused you.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

If anyone is still getting notifications that are not supposed to be. Please let me know.

I am truly sorry about everyone receiving notifications today that were not supposed to. There was an error in the software modification that was installed today. I obviously upset a few people and I am very sorry about that. :(

norxgirl

Charlie,

I just got a post at 4:12 p.m. But I don't mind. Have not tried to block any. I like this feature, as it clues me in to the latest posts.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

norxgirl, thank you for posting. I am very grateful for you not minding.

I have had a few people write me and tell me to delete their memberships. :doh

The notifications should have stopped. Can you let me know if you continue to receive them because if so I need to change one more setting inside the database which will in effect turn off all the notifications. But hopefully, it has stopped now.

This has been a challenge, ugggh. :(

Krisk

Hi Charlie,

Still receiving email notifications...no biggie, just FYI. I'm sure it will be fixed. Good luck!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Krisk, thank you.

I have now changed the settings in the database. Please let me know if you get any more notifications after now.

If all else fails, tonight I will completely reinstall the board with new fresh software. No worries though all posts will be saved and nothing will have changed.

Ray-Z

Charlie said:
I am truly sorry about everyone receiving notifications today that were not supposed to. There was an error in the software modification that was installed today. I obviously upset a few people and I am very sorry about that. :(

Given your hard work in creating and maintaining this forum, I'm happy to give you a mulligan for any bug that doesn't blow up my computer. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulligan_%28games%29

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ray-Z I sincerely appreciate at.

Still trying to remedy it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

OK, so I pretty much figured out where I screwed up. A very small error that I over looked. :banghead

Anyways, hopefully its all done now. One day in the future I might possibly decide to try and re-install this again, but I dont know!! lol I feel like I lost a couple years of my life today. :lol:

My apologies again to anyone who was bothered by this.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

So here I am sitting, looking at this modification, and almost ready to install it again. Even though I am sure that its set up right this time before install, I am having a hard time pushing the button! :rolling Maybe it will wait till tomorrow. :mrgreen:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ok, its installed again. This time, it is automatically turned off for everyone. So, if you would like to receive notifications you need to go and turn it on yourself at the link below. If you have any problems with it, please let me know. Hopefully there will not be a repeat of what happened last time. :lol:

Birdie

Since I've been really ill, I was so glad to get notice of any replies even if I couldn't open them for a few days. This forum is high on my list.

So, I take it we are to check the "Notify me" box like before if we want replies. Got it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie, the "Notify me upon replies by default:" option will only notify you if its a thread that you have posted in already. And yes, in haste I turned off everyones "Notify me upon replies by default:" because I was trying to get the emails to stop when I made the software installation error. So if you want to continue receiving notifications for that you will need to go and turn it back on at this link:

ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=post

This "Board Watch" feature that I installed, will notify you anytime a new post is made on the forum whether you have posted in that thread or not. You would simply go to the link below and check the first "yes"

Thank you for everyones patience. It looks like everything is all squared away and running well now. :mrgreen:

norxgirl

Hi Charlie,

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your system, but is there any way to get digests in lieu of individual e-mails? Thanks.

Birdie

Or, perhaps, to see the comment in the email. That way we wouldn't go all through the process to see a comment we don't need to reply on. Like I just did. :lol:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

norxgirl said:
Hi Charlie,

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your system, but is there any way to get digests in lieu of individual e-mails? Thanks.

There is a digest add on feature, but is not approved for this version of the software as of yet. The bulletin board software we are using just did a major update, and it takes time for the add ons to get approved for use. I will see what I can do though.

Birdie said:
Or, perhaps, to see the comment in the email. That way we wouldn't go all through the process to see a comment we don't need to reply on. Like I just did. :lol:

Same thing as above Birdie. That add on is not yet approved for this version PHPBB. Again, I will see what I can do. :D

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

In the meantime there is RSS feeds available. That might be something that both of you might like.

Back
Top Bottom