Top Supplement Recommendations?

I'm a total supplement junkie, and i have been for a long time. Luckily I'm also very forgetful about taking them regularly. So my whole life I've bought tons of vitamins and then forgotten to take them regularly. A one-month supply of any supplement typically could last me 3-6 months. I say "luckily" because now I'm starting to believe that tons of supplements might not be a good thing for the body.

That said, I have noticed that my favorite online vitamin store is having a sale (https://www.swansonvitamins.com/toprated). And I'm currently down to practically no supplements at all. If I WERE to purchase some supplements at a 35% discount, which supplements would the people of this forum recommend? (And which would they AVOID?)

Do any of you have positive results from supplements, or supplements you think are good?

(My "issue" are adrenal fatigue like symptoms, low energy, and hair shedding, by the way)

Arnold Grape

Everyone is going to tell you taurine and I am going to suggest: save your money and sitting in the sun.

OP
wealthofwisdom
Everyone is going to tell you taurine and I am going to suggest: save your money and sitting in the sun.

Ok thanks for the heads up. I'm new to this forum, but already I've seen a lot of pro and con against taurine. I don't remember exactly what either side was saying, but I remember there being people for it and people against it.

I do get sun every day, as I live in a very sunny climate and it's impossible to avoid.

mrchibbs

How about no supplements at all. Try that for a while. Give your digestive tract a break.

Instead use that money to buy the best, most nutritious foods you can find.

fever257

Real food > supplements, always.

Try adding liver, oysters, milk, and/or marmalade first. "Marmalade is like a super drug" - Danny roddy.

Daily carrot salad to combat lipopolysaccharides (endotoxins).

homemade gelatinous broth or gelatin power/collagen hydrolysate to get protein up.

Also, vitamin D (actually a steroid hormone), epsom salt baths to get magnesium up, and low-dose(325mg or less) aspirin to start out. These are all very safe supplements.

If you want to step things up after that, I'd look into Cascara Sagrada(powerful quinone with a wide range of effects), niacinamide (anti-FFA's and energy booster), and baking soda(sodium bicarbonate).

The next tier would probably include things Methylene Blue and cyproheptadine, these are powerful but require more research, organization, and understanding.

Only after trying out the aforementioned things would I look into steroids, hormones, youth-associated hormones and research chemicals. Obviously these vary greatly though.

Ray has said that CO2 is probably the single most powerful thing you can do for your health though. Living at elevations of 8,000, 9,000, 10,000, etc. feet has higher CO2 levels - the impacts of this completely optimize your hormone profile - increasing thyroid and protective hormones like progesterone.

Hope this helps! :)

OP
wealthofwisdom
Real food > supplements, always.

Try adding liver, oysters, milk, and/or marmalade first. "Marmalade is like a super drug" - Danny roddy.

Daily carrot salad to combat lipopolysaccharides (endotoxins).

homemade gelatinous broth or gelatin power/collagen hydrolysate to get protein up.

Also, vitamin D (actually a steroid hormone), epsom salt baths to get magnesium up, and low-dose(325mg or less) aspirin to start out. These are all very safe supplements.

If you want to step things up after that, I'd look into Cascara Sagrada(powerful quinone with a wide range of effects), niacinamide (anti-FFA's and energy booster), and baking soda(sodium bicarbonate).

The next tier would probably include things Methylene Blue and cyproheptadine, these are powerful but require more research, organization, and understanding.

Only after trying out the aforementioned things would I look into steroids, hormones, youth-associated hormones and research chemicals. Obviously these vary greatly though.

Ray has said that CO2 is probably the single most powerful thing you can do for your health though. Living at elevations of 8,000, 9,000, 10,000, etc. feet has higher CO2 levels - the impacts of this completely optimize your hormone profile - increasing thyroid and protective hormones like progesterone.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for your advice.

I definitely plan on making marmalade..but what do you eat it with? I would eat it with gluten free toast and a lot of butter, personally.

What is FFA? I googled and could only find other things.

I currently live at an elevation of 5,312 feet, which is considered pretty high...I guess I have that going for me!

fever257

Thanks for your advice.

I definitely plan on making marmalade..but what do you eat it with? I would eat it with gluten free toast and a lot of butter, personally.

What is FFA? I googled and could only find other things.

I currently live at an elevation of 5,312 feet, which is considered pretty high...I guess I have that going for me!

So for the marmalade, i make sure to use only real, quality orange juice to boil the peels with. if you google ray peat healing marmalade, you’ll find the recipe. it’s true that you can boil the peels with water but that will be very bitter. so i make mine with real orange juice to balance the flavor. i put it in smoothies or just eat it with a spoon. it can be an acquired taste. if you’re looking for bread, emma sgoruakis recommends spelt sourdough.

FFA = free fatty acids. These indicate low metabolism / backup sources of energy. it’s best to eliminate them / get them low and niacinamide is one the best ways to do so.

coming from someone who’s lived at ~ sea level elevation his whole life, yes, it is definitely something going for you. :)

good luck!

OP
wealthofwisdom
So for the marmalade, i make sure to use only real, quality orange juice to boil the peels with. if you google ray peat healing marmalade, you’ll find the recipe. it’s true that you can boil the peels with water but that will be very bitter. so i make mine with real orange juice to balance the flavor. i put it in smoothies or just eat it with a spoon. it can be an acquired taste. if you’re looking for bread, emma sgoruakis recommends spelt sourdough.

FFA = free fatty acids. These indicate low metabolism / backup sources of energy. it’s best to eliminate them / get them low and niacinamide is one the best ways to do so.

coming from someone who’s lived at ~ sea level elevation his whole life, yes, it is definitely something going for you. :)

good luck!

That's so interesting about the niacinamide. I never knew you could / should take it internally. I actually have quite a bit of it, because I like to make my own DIY face creams and niacinamide is great at redness reduction and pore tightening when used topically.

How much of it do you take? Do you take it every day?

OP
wealthofwisdom
Liver and oysters. Pills and powders cannot replace them.
I agree, but I'm afraid to eat them, LOL. I bought liver a week ago and I still can't bring myself to do anything with it. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to food I don't like.

Energizer

I agree, but I'm afraid to eat them, LOL. I bought liver a week ago and I still can't bring myself to do anything with it. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to food I don't like.

Heh. Yeah, I was too but it turned out to not be as bad as I thought.

mrchibbs

It's probably (read: it is) too late to eat that liver. It's not going to taste good, because it oxidizes quickly.
Sadly you're gonna have to throw that out.

It's better to buy frozen liver from a farm, because it is extremely fresh.

OP
wealthofwisdom
It's probably (read: it is) too late to eat that liver. It's not going to taste good, because it oxidizes quickly.
Sadly you're gonna have to throw that out.

It's better to buy frozen liver from a farm, because it is extremely fresh.

Well I have kept it in the freezer...

mrchibbs

OP
wealthofwisdom
Oh ok! Did you buy it frozen? Because if it wasn't frozen at the store it might still be not great to eat.
Yes I did buy it frozen. They are thin strips, each individually wrapped inside the bigger package. Calf's liver. I don't really know what to do with it. I honestly probably would never eat it like a normal meal...So I'm debating just cooking it and then slicing it into little pieces, and then freezing those pieces and swallowing them like supplements. Or maybe just eating them raw like that (frozen pellets)..?

Energizer

You could fry it in butter, it probably would taste better than raw. I rinse off the bile and then throw it in the pan for frying in butter. The good ol' liver and onions combo never fails me.

mrchibbs

Yes I did buy it frozen. They are thin strips, each individually wrapped inside the bigger package. Calf's liver. I don't really know what to do with it. I honestly probably would never eat it like a normal meal...So I'm debating just cooking it and then slicing it into little pieces, and then freezing those pieces and swallowing them like supplements. Or maybe just eating them raw like that (frozen pellets)..?

Oh that should taste nice and mild then. You could make some really tasty liver pate, fry some onions (a lot of onions) in butter till golden, then deglaze the pan with some wine or brandy, set the onions aside, then cook the liver slices in the same pan with butter, salt and pepper, until golden and crispy, but not rubbery (i.e. overcooked inside). Then you can cut the liver slices into small pieces, and add it and the onion to a blender, add some cream, and fresh chives maybe, and blend it all until creamy and smooth. Then just pour it into a glass container in let solidify in the fridge for 3-4hrs.

I promise, it can be very tasty on a piece of sourdough bread or cracker, and you can eat a little each day (which is the ideal with liver I think)

OP
wealthofwisdom
Oh that should taste nice and mild then. You could make some really tasty liver pate, fry some onions (a lot of onions) in butter till golden, then deglaze the pan with some wine or brandy, set the onions aside, then cook the liver slices in the same pan with butter, salt and pepper, until golden and crispy, but not rubbery (i.e. overcooked inside). Then you can cut the liver slices into small pieces, and add it and the onion to a blender, add some cream, and fresh chives maybe, and blend it all until creamy and smooth. Then just pour it into a glass container in let solidify in the fridge for 3-4hrs.

I promise, it can be very tasty on a piece of sourdough bread or cracker, and you can eat a little each day (which is the ideal with liver I think)

Actually, aside from frozen pellets, a pate seems the next most doable. If I add a lot of coconut oil and additional flavorings, I think I could maybe even enjoy this. I also have put sourdough bread on my shopping list!