Top 6 Anti-Constipation Foods (#1 is a must eat)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Where I live I rarely see kiwis in the markets, off and on, and like someone said, they are not inexpensive. My question is: is there an acceptable organic powder or supplement that can do the same things that Hans talks about, or must it be the fresh fruit.
I recall Ray saying good things about tropical fruit, so if he doesn't like bananas, pineapple, kiwis, etc., what tropical fruit does he like? There are not many left to choose from in a standard market, at least here in the part of the States that I live in.
If possible, you can try to find frozen kiwi. There are two supplements that I know of. Kivia powder, an extract of kiwifruit containing Zyactinase™ and Actazin.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hans, isn't there an opioid antagonist in plums/prunes as well?

Also your excess fibre section has a phrase which reads as "few people are unaware of" but probably is meant to read "few people are aware of" or "people are unaware of".

Cool article!
Not that I'm aware of or could find. It's possible though.
Thanks for pointing that out. Will get it fixed.

Mito

1612734235145.png

*biochemj00065-0028.pdf (nih.gov)

Kvothe

For those who want to speed up transit time without supplements, here are a few easy to obtain foods that can help. Keep in mind that everyone responds differently to certain foods and even studies find that there are responders and non-responders.
I personally found very noticeable effects from kiwi, although I started eating some for sleep quality, and not for gut health specifically. That's when I became very interested in them.

You write: "Kiwi is very effective at lowering inflammatory markers, such as TNFalpha, IL-6 and NOS as well as tryptophan hydroxylase 1 & 2 (serotonin synthesizing enzymes) in the inflamed intestine (R, R, R)."

Technically, that's what your study shows, but in fairness you should mention that it drastically elevated those markers in controls without IBS.

1612735428164.png

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
That's another reason why I like kiwi.
PQQ can actually lower lactate and increase pyruvate.
"In vitro studies using a purified rabbit muscle LDH show that PQQ inhibits the formation of lactate from pyruvate in the presence of NADH (forward reaction), whereas it enhances the conversion of lactate to pyruvate in the presence of NAD+ (reverse reaction). The molecular mechanism underlying PQQ-mediated regulation of LDH activity is attributed to the oxidation of NADH to NAD+ by PQQ. Indeed, the PQQ-bound LDH oxidizes NADH, generating NAD+, and significantly catalyzes the conversion of lactate to pyruvate. Furthermore, PQQ attenuates cellular lactate release and increases intracellular ATP levels in the NIH/3T3 fibroblasts. Our results suggest that PQQ, modulating LDH activity to facilitate pyruvate formation through its redox-cycling activity, may be involved in the enhanced energy production via mitochondrial TCA cycle and oxidative phosphorylation." (R)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
You write: "Kiwi is very effective at lowering inflammatory markers, such as TNFalpha, IL-6 and NOS as well as tryptophan hydroxylase 1 & 2 (serotonin synthesizing enzymes) in the inflamed intestine (R, R, R)."

Technically, that's what your study shows, but in fairness you should mention that it drastically elevated those markers in controls without IBS.

View attachment 21582
I didn't mention it because it doesn't make sense that it would lower IL-6 in the IBS group but increase it in the "healthy" group and the authors didn't elaborate on it either. But regardless, it did lower TNFa and CRP in both groups, indicating an overall reduction in inflammation.

Also, it didn't just increase IL-6, but also IL-10. IL10 is anti-inflammatory and a potent inhibitor of the TLR4 pathway, where it inhibits the transcription of pro-inflammatory genes that play a key role in maintaining intestinal tolerance.

From this study:
"All four KFEs [kiwi fruit extracts] appeared to inhibit this IFNc-specific mechanism in a similar manner regardless of their effect on the TLR4 pathway. IFNc is a powerful mediator of inflammation within the intestinal mucosa, where it drives Th1 polarisation, increases macrophage activation, reduces barrier function, and decreases immunological tolerance. IFNc is increased in the intestinal mucosa of IBD patients [61] and the inflamed Il10/ mouse colon [63]. Therefore, a significant decrease in IFNc expression may cause an overall reduction in inflammation even without the inhibition of other pro-inflammatory cytokines."

Furthermore (R):
"The proinflammatory cytokines TNF-a and IL-1b were shown to be reduced by aqueous extracts of both green and gold kiwifruit in LPSstimulated human monocytes and whole blood (Farr, Hurst, & Skinner, 2007), supporting the role of kiwifruit in downregulating proinflammatory cytokines in human cells in an inflammatory situation. Both aqueous and ethyl acetate extracts from gold and green kiwifruit were shown to exhibit anti-inflammatory effects in LPS-stimulated macrophages, and in large intestinal epithelial cells isolated from IL10/ (B6.129P2-Il10tm1Cgn) mice that are used as a mouse model for a Crohn’s disease-like colitis (Edmunds, Roy, Love, & Laing, 2011). The same study also analyzed macrophage cells from C57BL/6J wild-type mice to assess the role of IL-10. As LPS-stimulated macrophages from wild-type mice acted similar to those from the IL-10/ mice, it appeared that IL-10 was not involved in these antiinflammatory effects. The authors suggested that kiwifruit mediated its effects via inhibition of toll-like receptor 4 signaling."

Wagner83

Gold are a lot sweeter for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they had quite a bit more calories. Kiwis are a good source of oxalates as well.

ursidae

Thiamine hcl has really made a difference about 3 a day with this

at some point energin+ tudca gave me 5- 6 perfect bowel movements a day. I am constipation prone

I was quite surprised to see that coke has so much PQQ.

Japanese coke, perhaps. But coke tastes different all over the world, so ingredients and therefore nutrients likely vary.

Relatively, none of the foods in that list contain much PQQ at all, considering a standard supplement tablet contains 10,000 times the concentration of what occurs in 100 grams of the most densely concentrated sources.

Drinking green tea for it's PQQ content would be sort of like drinking Amsterdam municipal water for its cocaine content.

ArtIt

For me only thing that works is 200 grams of raw carrots each evening. I have tried kiwi, apples, pineapples, spinach, psyllium and none of those products never resolved my on and off constipation, until I began eating carrots every evening. Only sometimes I do carrot salad, usually just eat carrots with a little salt.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals