Tooth Decay On RP Diets - I Think Thyroid Is The Culprit

rawmeat

histamine is important for teeth.

I have very high histamine levels (too high as of late), and I've noticed how ridiculously white and healthy my teeth have become.

Luann

Are any of you cavity-sufferers eating a lot of grains or potatoes?
I get tooth problems when I rely on potatoes for minerals, and I've been learning about mineral binding by phytic acid, which is in grains, beans, and potatoes.

InChristAlone

Are any of you cavity-sufferers eating a lot of grains or potatoes?
I get tooth problems when I rely on potatoes for minerals, and I've been learning about mineral binding by phytic acid, which is in grains, beans, and potatoes.
There is very little in potatoes. Maybe it is because it has a form of vitamin D and you need more calcium to balance it?

managing

But, the most important question for the OP is, why were you taking thyroid?

As far as tooth decay goes, I am 50 and have never had a cavity. Before or after Peat. But n is way too small to prove anything.

Birdie

It's not just thyroid. I had more teeth sensitivity when doing a more Peat inspired diet.

Removing most carotenoids and cutting down on dairy helped reducing the sensitivity. I've also noticed that my teeth are whiter and less translucent recently. It seems they're remineralizing from my low sugar days even though my calcium intake ia quite low.
Here’s Ray:
“I avoid carotene, because it blocks thyroid and steroid production, and very large excessive amounts of vitamin A, retinol, can do the same...”

Birdie

I’m trying to rinse my mouth more often. Have a note by the sink.
Before Peat, I didn’t drink oj or Coke, but now I do. So, more of an acid mouth to deal with.

But, I’ve been on NDT since about 95. Never noticed cavities starting up.
I used Armour first, then WP, now NP thyroid...

somuch4food

A glass of milk after eating sugary cereals may prevent cavities

"There are components of milk that might protect against tooth decay by inhibiting the binding of bacteria to teeth (Danielsson, et al., 2009)."

^In Peats article about milk.

That could explain why I never had as much cavities as others despite a not so good diet and oral hygiene.

I always had a lot of milk with my cereals and drank the remaining milk in my bowl. I also always had a glass of milk with dessert and would finish my dessert with the milk.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Great to see peaters with good dental health in this thread! :): Would you mind briefly sharing your usual diet and hygiene habits, please?

But, the most important question for the OP is, why were you taking thyroid?

I had hypothyroid symptoms all my life without actually getting diagnosed. Recently my bloodwork was done and I was low in fT4.

managing

Great to see peaters with good dental health in this thread! :): Would you mind briefly sharing your usual diet and hygiene habits, please?

I had hypothyroid symptoms all my life without actually getting diagnosed. Recently my bloodwork was done and I was low in fT4.
I have n idea why I've never gotten cavities. Even my dentist acknowledges that its really rare.

I am not an expert on thyroid, so I don't know what low free T4 dictates. But I am glad to hear you have a reason. Sometimes people seem to think that Dr P wants everybody to take thyroid. And I just don't think that's true.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Effects of altered thyroid function on histamine levels and mast cell number in neonatal rat brain. - PubMed - NCBI
Treatments with thyroid hormones or thyrotropic hormone up to 5 days of age leads to a decrease in the histamine levels and mast cells number in the brain

I had very high histamine levels all my life (multiple alergies etc). So this might have protected my teeth from loads of sugar and acidic fruits, and once the thyroid supplement removed this "protecton"...

Thank you for this, rawmeat!!

schultz

I've seen rat studies pertaining to this topic. I'm not sure I've seen a nice, controlled human study. I hesitate to post these because apparently, this forum is obsessed with studies (I can't remember the gentleman who said this recently).

The relation of systemic fluoride and thyroid gland activity to the incidence of dental caries in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
Previous experiments have shown that the ingestion of a cariogenic diet containing desiccated thyroid will significantly reduce the incidence of dental caries in the rat. In this experiment the importance of the amount of food consumed daily by rats on such a regime was considered. Under ad libitum feeding conditions, desiccated thyroid added to a cariogenic diet significantly reduced the dental caries incidence when compared to a control group receiving the same diet without thyroid. When control animals receiving a nonthyroid-containing cariogenic diet were pair-fed with animals receiving the same diet to which desiccated thyroid had been added, the thyroid-fed animals again demonstrated a significant decrease in caries incidence. These results indicate that differences in food consumption which may result between experimental groups is not an important factor in explaining the anticariogenic action of desiccated thyroid.

The relationship between the histology of the thyroid and the salivary glands and the incidence of dental caries in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
The results of this experiment show that the activity of the thyroid gland, as judged by histologic study, is closely related to the incidence of dental caries in the rat. The animals receiving a concentration of radioiodine (100 μc) which did not significantly alter the structure of the thyroid gland had a normal, expected incidence of dental caries but higher levels of I131, which resulted in pronounced atrophic changes in the thyroid gland, were associated with significant increase in dental caries.

The administration of single doses of 100, 250, 500, and 750 μc of radioactive iodine (I131) to 4 groups of weanling rats produced a graded increase in their dental caries experience. Histologic study of the thyroid glands from the various groups revealed that 100 of I131 was without significant effect upon the thyroid gland, whereas each higher dosage of I131 produced a greater and more pronounced atrophy. Thus, a direct relationship between thyroid function and dental caries experience in the rat seems apparent. Furthermore, histologic study of the submaxillary glands of the animals in the various groups revealed a progressive nonfunctioning, atrophic appearance with increasing concentrations of radioactive iodine. From these results it appears that loss of thyroid function may be intimately associated with loss of salivary gland function. The salivary glands then are considered as possible intermediates in a thyroid gland-dental caries relationship in the rat.

TeaRex14

Thyroid increases nutrient requirements, this included nutrients important to dental health. Calcium, magnesium, fat soluble vitamins, vitamin C, etc. Refined sugar is the same way. I feel like many people in Peat land sort of neglect the fact granulated sugarcane is suppose to be an alternative when superior sugar sources aren't around. Ripe fruits fresh & dried, raw honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, milk, juice are all better sugar sources than stuff like sugarcane and coke. They come osmotically bound to nutrients that refined sugars are devoid of.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I've seen rat studies pertaining to this topic. I'm not sure I've seen a nice, controlled human study. I hesitate to post these because apparently, this forum is obsessed with studies (I can't remember the gentleman who said this recently).

The relation of systemic fluoride and thyroid gland activity to the incidence of dental caries in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
Previous experiments have shown that the ingestion of a cariogenic diet containing desiccated thyroid will significantly reduce the incidence of dental caries in the rat. In this experiment the importance of the amount of food consumed daily by rats on such a regime was considered. Under ad libitum feeding conditions, desiccated thyroid added to a cariogenic diet significantly reduced the dental caries incidence when compared to a control group receiving the same diet without thyroid. When control animals receiving a nonthyroid-containing cariogenic diet were pair-fed with animals receiving the same diet to which desiccated thyroid had been added, the thyroid-fed animals again demonstrated a significant decrease in caries incidence. These results indicate that differences in food consumption which may result between experimental groups is not an important factor in explaining the anticariogenic action of desiccated thyroid.

The relationship between the histology of the thyroid and the salivary glands and the incidence of dental caries in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
The results of this experiment show that the activity of the thyroid gland, as judged by histologic study, is closely related to the incidence of dental caries in the rat. The animals receiving a concentration of radioiodine (100 μc) which did not significantly alter the structure of the thyroid gland had a normal, expected incidence of dental caries but higher levels of I131, which resulted in pronounced atrophic changes in the thyroid gland, were associated with significant increase in dental caries.

The administration of single doses of 100, 250, 500, and 750 μc of radioactive iodine (I131) to 4 groups of weanling rats produced a graded increase in their dental caries experience. Histologic study of the thyroid glands from the various groups revealed that 100 of I131 was without significant effect upon the thyroid gland, whereas each higher dosage of I131 produced a greater and more pronounced atrophy. Thus, a direct relationship between thyroid function and dental caries experience in the rat seems apparent. Furthermore, histologic study of the submaxillary glands of the animals in the various groups revealed a progressive nonfunctioning, atrophic appearance with increasing concentrations of radioactive iodine. From these results it appears that loss of thyroid function may be intimately associated with loss of salivary gland function. The salivary glands then are considered as possible intermediates in a thyroid gland-dental caries relationship in the rat.

Awesome post, thank you! The amount of rat studies showing beneficial effects of thyroid supplementation on dental health is mind blowing. I'm curious, why opposite effect is so common in humans it is even included in side effects lists of many thyroid supplements. Are we really so deprived of nutrients? Are the lab rats really fed so well they don't have any deficiency?

schultz

Awesome post, thank you! The amount of rat studies showing beneficial effects of thyroid supplementation on dental health is mind blowing. I'm curious, why opposite effect is so common in humans it is even included in side effects lists of many thyroid supplements. Are we really so deprived of nutrients? Are the lab rats really fed so well they don't have any deficiency?

I don't know the answer to that. It's always possible that an animal responds differently to something than humans do. The benefit of animal studies is that they are very controllable. I wonder how many people, if they logged their diet, would consistently be meeting the requirements for micronutrients? I am just guessing, but I would think a lot of them would be getting suboptimal levels, chronically, of at least a couple nutrients. The people who are normally prescribed thyroid hormone are probably people who already have some health issues, or at least have historically not had the best diet. Are they prescribed a new diet to go along with their thyroid supplement? I'm just throwing questions out there and I don't expect anybody to actually answer these. I'm thinking "out loud" so to speak.

I've never seen the dental caries side effect thing on thyroid supplements. These types of warnings should be based on some sort of study right? It would be important to read the study to see if it is a legitimate concern.

I have really offered you very little with this post. Sorry! lol I really just don't know. Dental caries are more common in hypothyroid people though. I think the thyroid is important for proper salivary gland function.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals