Tooth Decay On RP Diets - I Think Thyroid Is The Culprit

BearWithMe

I'm on RP diet for almost 10 years. I was eating tons of sugar, tons of acidic fruits, and never had a single dental problem, not a single cavity or gums issue.

Then I started messing with thyroid and my dental health went from perfect to absolute disaster in just one month. Multiple cavities, broken tooth without any apparent reason, loosen teeth, bleeding gums, bad breath, cavities under my brand new fillings...

I haven't changed anything else in my diet, supplement regimen or hygiene habits and I am convinced the injudicious use of thyroid supplement is the culprit.

I'm sure thyroid supplements have huge benefits, but one should be extremely careful with them, even when you test as hypothyroid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep, same thing with me. I probably have near twenty filled cavities now, teeth absolutely fell apart. :(

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Yep, same thing with me. I probably have near twenty filled cavities now, teeth absolutely fell apart. :(
I'm sorry to hear that, Charlie :( Did you had any dental problems before you have used thyroid supplements?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I'm sorry to hear that, Charlie :( Did you had any dental problems before you have used thyroid supplements?
Never had a cavity as a kid, only had a couple fillings as an adult done in Mexico one time,. But then talking to my friend who is a dentist back in the states, he said I most likely did not have a cavity and that the Mexican dentist just did it to make money. I am pretty sure he is right. Then after I started Peating, my teeth literally started crumbling. So I have it narrowed down to either thyroid supplement and/or vitamin A toxicity. I am thinking it is a combination of both. Thank God in the Heavens the crumbling looks like it has stopped for the most part.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Never had a cavity as a kid, only had a couple fillings as an adult done in Mexico one time,. But then talking to my friend who is a dentist back in the states, he said I most likely did not have a cavity and that the Mexican dentist just did it to make money. I am pretty sure he is right. Then after I started Peating, my teeth literally started crumbling. So I have it narrowed down to either thyroid supplement and/or vitamin A toxicity. I am thinking it is a combination of both. Thank God in the Heavens the crumbling looks like it has stopped for the most part.
This is really interesting. My retinol intake was quite high all my life, and I have actually stopped using it few months before I have started with thyroid.

Retinol can mess with vitamin D absorbtion and cause osteoporosis by this pathway, this is well known phenomena in nordic countries with high fish consumption, but bone loss doesn't seem to be that common side effect of thyroid supplements when used properly. Why do peatarians seems to be so much more susceptible to this than the general population?

It would be really interesting to know the retinol and thyroid intake of the other peatarians with dental problems.

Last edited:

sweetpeat

It would be really interesting to know the retinol and thyroid intake of the other peatarians with dental problems.
I'm curious about this too. What kind and how much thyroid did you use?

InChristAlone

I ended up with a root canal on NDT. Not sure the cause but I was also breastfeeding for yrs and drinking a lot of soda.

somuch4food

It's not just thyroid. I had more teeth sensitivity when doing a more Peat inspired diet.

Removing most carotenoids and cutting down on dairy helped reducing the sensitivity. I've also noticed that my teeth are whiter and less translucent recently. It seems they're remineralizing from my low sugar days even though my calcium intake ia quite low.

A.R

This is quite interesting
Do you still take Thyroid in any form?

I can't seem to tolerate even a small dose of thyroid

MarcelZD

With such a drastic and fast deterioration of dental health my guess would be that thyroid supplementation depleted your body of certain minerals. Boron comes to mind.

ilikecats

All NDT today is junk, Ray has brought up many different problems with modern NDT outside of excipients. And when it comes to excipients/additives Thailand “ Thiroyd” is terrible lol. I know he mentioned it favorably in passing but when notified of the excipients he seemed disgusted, I’m sure ray just heard an anecdote of some people doing well on it. Outside of that 1:4 T3:T4 would give me a whole mess of problems sky rocketing my rT3.

Just some things to keep in mind

ilikecats

“Teeth are very similar to bones, so it's interesting that treating male or female rats with estrogen increases their incidence of tooth decay, and removing their gonads was found to decrease the incidence (Muhler and Shafer, 1952). Supplementing them with thyroid hormone decreased the incidence of cavities in both males and females (Bixler, et al., 1957).“

“In the early 1940s, experimental rabbits were fed their standard diet, with the addition of 1% desiccated thyroid gland, which would be equivalent to about 150 grains of Armour thyroid for a person. They became extremely hypermetabolic, and couldn't eat enough to meet their nutritional needs for growth and tissue maintenance. When they died, all of their tissues weighed much less than those of animals that hadn't received the toxic dose of thyroid, except for their bones, which were larger than normal. Experiments with the thin skull bones of mice have shown that the active thyroid hormone, T3, increases the formation of bone. To increase cellular respiration and carbon dioxide production, T3 increases the activity of the enzyme cytochrome oxidase, which uses copper as a co-factor. Increased thyroid activity increases the absorption of copper from foods.“

A.R

“Teeth are very similar to bones, so it's interesting that treating male or female rats with estrogen increases their incidence of tooth decay, and removing their gonads was found to decrease the incidence (Muhler and Shafer, 1952). Supplementing them with thyroid hormone decreased the incidence of cavities in both males and females (Bixler, et al., 1957).“

“In the early 1940s, experimental rabbits were fed their standard diet, with the addition of 1% desiccated thyroid gland, which would be equivalent to about 150 grains of Armour thyroid for a person. They became extremely hypermetabolic, and couldn't eat enough to meet their nutritional needs for growth and tissue maintenance. When they died, all of their tissues weighed much less than those of animals that hadn't received the toxic dose of thyroid, except for their bones, which were larger than normal. Experiments with the thin skull bones of mice have shown that the active thyroid hormone, T3, increases the formation of bone. To increase cellular respiration and carbon dioxide production, T3 increases the activity of the enzyme cytochrome oxidase, which uses copper as a co-factor. Increased thyroid activity increases the absorption of copper from foods.“
Increased thyroid activity increases the absorption of copper from foods.

That explains quite a bit in my case, because I already had a zinc/copper imbalance from taking too much zinc

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

This is very interesting! It supports the idea that thyroid hormones supplementation might cause some kind of nutrient deficiency in predisposed individuals and this deficiency causes tooth decay.

Would be awesome to see similar study on humans.

With such a drastic and fast deterioration of dental health my guess would be that thyroid supplementation depleted your body of certain minerals. Boron comes to mind.
Yes, was also thinking of this. My diet is very rich in boron, but I think I might be deficient in phosphorus or maybie I'm not absorbing fat soluvle vitamins properly.

I ended up with a root canal on NDT. Not sure the cause but I was also breastfeeding for yrs and drinking a lot of soda.
I'm very sorry to hear that, hope your teeth are fine now :(

It's not just thyroid. I had more teeth sensitivity when doing a more Peat inspired diet.

Removing most carotenoids and cutting down on dairy helped reducing the sensitivity. I've also noticed that my teeth are whiter and less translucent recently. It seems they're remineralizing from my low sugar days even though my calcium intake ia quite low.
That's awesome, it's great that you were able to reverse the demineralization!

Increased thyroid activity increases the absorption of copper from foods.

That explains quite a bit in my case, because I already had a zinc/copper imbalance from taking too much zinc
Wouldn't it rather fix the imbalance in that case?

Cirion

Sugar really seems to be problematic in my experience. Also lack of proper dental hygiene. Increasing starch and being better about dental care seems to be helping me.

A.R

This is very interesting! It supports the idea that thyroid hormones supplementation might cause some kind of nutrient deficiency in predisposed individuals and this deficiency causes tooth decay.

Would be awesome to see similar study on humans.

Yes, was also thinking of this. My diet is very rich in boron, but I think I might be deficient in phosphorus or maybie I'm not absorbing fat soluvle vitamins properly.

I'm very sorry to hear that, hope your teeth are fine now :(

That's awesome, it's great that you were able to reverse the demineralization!

Wouldn't it rather fix the imbalance in that case?
Yes thanks
Maybe I misread the sentence

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals