Took Too Much Thyroid Hormone, Now Recovering

So about 2.5 weeks ago I completely stopped thyroid hormone supplementation. I had been supplementing for about 2.5 months up to that point. I am still dealing with high adrenaline, blood pressure, etc. racing thoughts. I just would like some advice on how I can manage the symptoms over the next couple weeks as I recover. Ativan, blood pressure meds, beta blockers, and buspirone are what I've been prescribed. Should I avoid higher doses of niacinamide because it will lower serotonin and stimulate metabolism further? I would assume the same for pregnenolone? Other than that I just take the fat solubles and taurine and a b complex. Any advice would be appreciated.

Avoid anything that will deplete liver glycogen? Am I on the right track here? Thank you.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

I would highly recommend against adding anything in until you recover completely, and that means withdrawing off of benzos.

You have quite a road ahead of you, and I wish you the best, Noel. Take it slow.

OP
N
I would highly recommend against adding anything in until you recover completely, and that means withdrawing off of benzos.

You have quite a road ahead of you, and I wish you the best, Noel. Take it slow.

Okay....so stay on benzo?

DaveFoster

Okay....so stay on benzo?
You don't really have a choice.

When you come off of your medications, be sure to have regularly schedules appointments with your doctor (as in every day for a week after cessation.)

Doctors like to have this, "Come drop by in a couple weeks, so I can see how you're doing."

You don't want to be sitting at home having a panic attack when your next scheduled visit is in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

tara

So about 2.5 weeks ago I completely stopped thyroid hormone supplementation. I had been supplementing for about 2.5 months up to that point. I am still dealing with high adrenaline, blood pressure, etc. racing thoughts. I just would like some advice on how I can manage the symptoms over the next couple weeks as I recover. Ativan, blood pressure meds, beta blockers, and buspirone are what I've been prescribed. Should I avoid higher doses of niacinamide because it will lower serotonin and stimulate metabolism further? I would assume the same for pregnenolone? Other than that I just take the fat solubles and taurine and a b complex. Any advice would be appreciated.

Current resting heartrate? Have you started monitoring temps yet? This is one of the simplest tools available to you for assessing how fast your metabolism is running.
I can't see a good way to figure out what would be helpful without this information.

If you are currently sitting with too much T4 in system from supplement, and you completely stop, I would expect it to gradually lower, and then, maybe or maybe not, it could drop a bit low before your endogenous production picks up again. So you could have a period of reducing hyper possibly followed by period of hypo. If you were slightly hypo to begin with, my guess is you will eventually return to that state in a few weeks. Monitoring temps and heartrate can probably help you estimate where on that trajectory you are.

Parsifal

Current resting heartrate? Have you started monitoring temps yet? This is one of the simplest tools available to you for assessing how fast your metabolism is running.
I can't see a good way to figure out what would be helpful without this information.

:+1

OP
N

If you are currently sitting with too much T4 in system from supplement, and you completely stop, I would expect it to gradually lower, and then, maybe or maybe not, it could drop a bit low before your endogenous production picks up again. So you could have a period of reducing hyper possibly followed by period of hypo. If you were slightly hypo to begin with, my guess is you will eventually return to that state in a few weeks. Monitoring temps and heartrate can probably help you estimate where on that trajectory you are.

Idk temps are low. Cold hands and feet. Hopefully the Synthroid is causing all this chaos. Without Ativan I am a wreck. Like I'm psychotic. Blood pressure is like 150 and the calcoum channel blocker I was prescribed isn't bringing it down. Excess t4 blocking t3 from getting into cells? Pulse is 90.

OP
N

I've never been clinically hypo. Just used thyroid to treat symptoms. Big mistake.

tara

Idk temps are low. Cold hands and feet.
Cold hands and feet are relevant information. Can you get a thermometer so you can check your body temp closer to the core too?
Warm core + cold hands and feet may indicate high adrenaline and/or hyperventilation. Cold hands and feet and cold core more likely indicate low overall metabolism.
Have you tried any reduced breathing exercises to get your CO2 levels up? Does it warm you feet and slow your pulse?

Excess t4 blocking t3 from getting into cells?
Possibly excess T4 converting to rT3 and counteracting metabolism.

OP
N
Benzo withdrawal sucks. Can't even speak. Never taking that garbage again. Thank god for clonidine.

InChristAlone

I think t4 is terrible for women, it has to be converted to the t3 for it to do anything. If your temp is low then you are likely not hyperthyroid. I get high adrenaline when my metabolism crashes.

DaveFoster

@Noel Gallagher

Keep your head up, Noel. It's fast to come, fast to go. If you were on them for a few months, then it would take months to years. You should be fine in a week or two.

When you come off clonidine, be sure to either taper or have some on hand if you quit cold turkey just in case you have rebound hypertension.

Rebound hypertension can kill you if you're not careful, so be careful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals