Took methylene blue first time and don’t feel good. Panic attacks pls help

milkboi

I‘d love it if there was a compound like Methylene Blue but without the MAO-Ai properties

Joseph Marcello

Forum Supporter
Heavens, keep it simple folks! The way you go on, all of you, implies that we need to be masters of advanced biochemistry before we can arrive at a nutritional program that is safe and strengthening for us! Time to get back down to earth and get real, all of you, who it sounds like, spend the majority of your days and hours pouring over the minutiae of biochemical alchemy.

Methylene blue is not a truly natural or god-given substance, and if somebody experiences a negative reaction to it that in and of itself should be sufficient reason to leave it Al it's a side. This person doesn't need to go through a course of abstruse self-examination or biochemical scrutiny in order to ferret out the occult reason for his reaction. Leave it alone, take activated charcoal for a week two to three times a day alone in water, and let it detoxify your system from whatever happens to be ailing it.

During that period, fast for two or three days on either pure water or vegetable juices. After that, when your slate is relatively clean, be again reintroducing god-given nourishment, rather than chemicalized hypotheses. If you're half human, your system should respond favorably,.. and, for heaven's sakes, leave off the hyper compulsive scrutinizing the characterizes this forum, or else you will never have a life to live.m

mostlylurking

This person doesn't need to go through a course of abstruse self-examination or biochemical scrutiny in order to ferret out the occult reason for his reaction.
That's your opinion. Sorry, I disagree. This person is in tune enough with his bodily reactions that he recognizes that he worsened on a little methylene blue. It's a clue. It points to a serotonin problem. Research into serotonin would be helpful. There might be additional reasons for this negative reaction, but the fact that methylene blue is an MAO inhibitor is important.

People on this forum spend time researching biochemical issues because they are interested in trying to understand what is going on with their bodies.

Tim Lundeen

Sorry, what I posted didn't check out and can't see any way to delete it

Last edited:

Birdie

I interpret this differently from what you have described. It is my understanding that an MAO inhibitor (methylene blue is one) blocks the reuptake of serotonin. In other words, it keeps the body from getting rid of the serotonin, thus INCREASING the overall amount of serotonin that is in the brain. It is the increased serotonin that causes extreme anxiety. Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote and we are saying the same thing?

High serotonergic foods also cause problems for me. These include pineapple and bananas. If one of these are eaten before or immediately after consuming some methylene blue, my negative reaction is even worse.

I've learned that thiamine deficiency also causes high anxiety. A diet high in sugars and starch tends to use up the body's thiamine because it is required to process the sugars/starch into ATP. This is another facet that you might consider looking into. Evidently, thiamine also helps to lower serotonin.

and

If your thiamine status is low or is blocked, coffee will make it worse because it blocks the function of thiamine.

Ray Peat has an article about serotonin here: Serotonin, depression, and aggression - The problem of brain energy. This article has lost its layout format. If you copy/paste into a Word document it will be much easier to read.

Here's an article about serotonin in fruits: Serotonin in Fruits – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

quote:
Serotonin content of foods: effect on urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid.
Feldman JM, Lee EM.
Using a highly specific radioenzymatic assay we determined the serotonin concentration in 80 types of foods. The following fruits had a high serotonin concentration (mean +/- SEM) expressed in micrograms/g weight: plantain 30.3 +/- 7.5; pineapple 17.0 +/- 5.1; banana 15.0 +/- 2.4; Kiwi fruit 5.8 +/- 0.9; plums 4.7 +/- 0.8; and tomatoes 3.2 +/- 0.6. Only nuts in the walnut or hickory family had a high serotonin concentration expressed in micrograms/g weight; butternuts 398 +/- 90; black walnuts 304 +/- 46; English walnuts 87 +/- 20; shagbark hickory nuts 143 +/- 23; mockernut hickory nuts 67 +/- 13; pecans 29 +/- 4; and sweet pignuts 25 +/- 8. Ingestion of these fruits and nuts resulted in an increase in urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid excretion with no change in platelet serotonin concentration. The above foods should not be eaten while a urine is being collected for 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid analysis.

This list matches my personal food sensitivity list. huh....
Thanks. The fruits: pineapple, banana, plums are ones I've been eating and now I'm thinking this may be related to my IBS attacks. Something to consider. I knew Ray said bananas were highly industrialized and not desirable, but I didn't know about the serotonin aspect.

mostlylurking

Thanks. The fruits: pineapple, banana, plums are ones I've been eating and now I'm thinking this may be related to my IBS attacks. Something to consider. I knew Ray said bananas were highly industrialized and not desirable, but I didn't know about the serotonin aspect.
I've been on high thiamine since the first of February. I've known that I can't eat bananas for a long time. However, I tried eating an organic one about a week ago and I had zero negative reaction. Since thiamine seems to help regulate serotonin, I wonder if that is the reason. Thiamine also helps heal the gut and it's possible that since my gut is in much better shape now maybe that's why I didn't react badly.

If you are having IBS attacks, it would probably be a good idea to cut out the serotinergic foods. Maybe increase the thiamine too?

diane78

A few years back I tried MB. Initially I felt great, positive mood, motivation and energy. But within a short period I discovered I wasn't feeling so good and found my BP shot way up, 212/110. My kidneys were affected likewise with little urination, dribbles, hot urine, no stream. This all improved but took me 10 days to return to normal bp & kidney function. Despite this, I tried MB again a few months later thinking maybe it would be different. It wasn't. I have learned from reading on this forum that my MAO-A SNP from Yasko genetic testing means I can't take MB because of my high serotonin, I believe. And I don't know if I improved my endogenous serotonin levels, if I could take MB...not sure, doesn't seem like it is worth a risk for me...although MB felt wonderful before it didnt.

Birdie

Update is that we never eat bananas anymore. Don't miss them.