Too Skinny

Redshine

Dear members,

I read a lot that people are gaining weight with eating ray peat style. But I'm not, I always was slim but a few years ago I really started loosing weight, I was under a lot of stress. But since then I never got the weight back, not even on this "diet". My boyfriend mentioned how can it be possible that I drink full milk and a descent amount of it and not put on any weight.

I drink full milk, oj and every now and then cola. I eat rice, potatoes and meat.

Are there people with the same problem who are willing to share what they eat on an daily basis, so maybe I can get some ideas.

brix

Dear members,

I read a lot that people are gaining weight with eating ray peat style. But I'm not, I always was slim but a few years ago I really started loosing weight, I was under a lot of stress. But since then I never got the weight back, not even on this "diet". My boyfriend mentioned how can it be possible that I drink full milk and a descent amount of it and not put on any weight.

I drink full milk, oj and every now and then cola. I eat rice, potatoes and meat.

Are there people with the same problem who are willing to share what they eat on an daily basis, so maybe I can get some ideas.

How many calories are you eating a day? Height and weight would be helpful as well.

OP
Redshine

Redshine

I dont't even know (I realise nowo_O) really never paid attention to that because I'm skinny I didnt count the calories...

I did start a few days ago to have 2 moments on the day to eat rice or/and potatoes. My biggest problem is breakfast, I start really early in the morning and dont give myself enough time to start with a good breakfast. A glass of oj and a glass of full milk/coffee and then I go.

I have to look up my height and weight (didnt weigh myself for a long time now, didnt really wanted to see how low it is)

smith

Epicatechins in cocoa inhibit the thing in the body (myostatin, I think) which inhibits muscle growth, or I guess, keeps muscles from constantly expanding with food intake.
Also, just today, I found out that sticky rice contains the highest amounts of amylopectin out of the other varieties.
Polyunsaturates are major players in weight gain, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if the unsaturated fat consumed is of the omega-9 variety (mead oleic erucic nervonic) as opposed to 6 and especially 3. Sub-dermal fat is unsaturated. Avocados help, if you want to risk it.
Maltodextrin is the main ingredient in all the DudeBro weight-gainer brands.
Pure saturated fat seems to easily burn fat in the absence of caloric excess. Same with sugar, and vitamin A palmitate.

Last edited:

aguilaroja

.., I always was slim but a few years ago I really started loosing weight, I was under a lot of stress. But since then I never got the weight back, not even on this "diet"...

It may be useful to check thyroid function, including symptoms, resting temperature and pulse. It is discussed by Dr. Peat in articles and books, and in other forum topics.

Runenight201

I would gander and say you’re not eating enough, especially given how you don’t track calories, and if you were to do it for a day, you might see how little you’re eating.

Burgers, milk shakes, nut butters. Find some balance here, because you may take it too far and start feeling bad, but dense fatty and sugary foods should help with adding weight.

It’s interesting how we all have our own unique problems. How many obese people would love to be in your shoes, but at the same time, you may be wishing for the appetite of an obese person right now. There’s a middle ground somewhere in all these extremes...

sebastian_r

Eat more calories.
Some calorie dense foods:
- Ribey Steak or other fatty cuts
- Cheese
- Butter
- Full Fat Milk
- Ice Cream
- Dried fruits

OP
Redshine

Redshine

First of all thanks for the answers. I do need to check how many calories i'm actually eating. Definetly need to start working on that, maybe I need to take my oj, with milk and something with calories on the side.

My thyroid has been checked a few years ago when I noticed the weight didnt came back, the results where good. At least that is what my doctor said. Dont know if it worth to let it checked now?

I was actually wondered when a lot of people dont't choose for fat/full milk because they would gain weight... But at my case it doesnt add up. Can eat ice cream, butter and full milk (a bit of cheese) and it doesnt give me some extra pounds.

I could life with being slim but at the moment I'm really too skinny, obese is indeed the other extreme. I learned to accept that we come in different shapes and sizes haha.

Cirion

Yeah if you could get some more info in that would probably be useful.

- Calories, macronutrient breakdown (maybe even just a snapshot of chronometer to include nutrient intake too)
- Height, weight, estimated body fat % and bmi
- Body temperature and pulses at various times of the day

Just like being overweight is not necessarily bad, being slightly low on weight may not be bad either, if caloric intake is good, and body temp and pulses are good.

Personally I am jealous. I put on 80 pounds on a Ray peat style way of eating. I went from fairly skinny to "morbidly obese" (Although, it's weird, I can still wear size 38 pants which is not too bad for my current BMI which is like 37.7 or something)

OP
Redshine

Redshine

It is more that my self esteem is getting low, I dont feel very comfortable because I do eat but people just assume, that because I'm skinny I don't eat.

On the other hand my hair is is thick and healthy since eating this way. Even during winter my nails are strong and growing and my skin is starting to look better. And I feel more stable. So I know and feel is does start to help me.

May I ask what you (cirion) eat on a typical day ?

Cirion

I have found a lot of negative emotions like anxiety, depression, overthinking, caring (too much) about what people think about you etc, primarily are driven by hormonal & physical health. At one point I was EXTREMELY obsessed over my personal appearance, and also had other severe mental problems. Funny, I am the fattest I have been in my life now but actually care less about my appearance than I did before, for the most part (I do currently avoid the dating scene due to my current appearance though, but more so because of my health. I figure once I start feeling 100% well I'll probably start dating again even despite my weight). One tends to be overly introspective in a negative way when health is not ideal. I know this all to well, having had bad health a lot of my life personally. You actually get a new perspective on life once things are working right (CO2 levels good, plenty of sunlight, quality food, good sleep etc etc...) and things that bothered you before just bounce off of you, you stop caring about what people think, ETC. It's a great place to be that I'm trying to get back to myself.

I try to get most if not all the nutrients I need from food, and have been dropping most of my supplements, but at the same time, I try to keep my diet as simple as possible while achieving that (while also trying to keep PUFA pretty low).

Main staples

- Skim Milk
- Orange Juice
- Grapes, Oranges
- Honey, Maple syrup
- Gelatin
- Liverwurst 1-2x a week
- Cheese (occasionally, 1-2x a week)
- Hydrogenated coconut oil
- MCT oil

Supplements
- Salt, Magnesium, Coffee

(Yup, that's it for supplements. Used to take a lot more, and started weaning off one by one as I realized they were not benefitting me and in some cases worsening my condition)

jzeno

@Redshine

I'll share what I eat.

You can use cronometer.com to track your nutrition. I would start today--immediately. Just make estimates and then each day you'll get more and more accurate until you're right on the money. It's good to make it a habit. Then, once you get the idea, you only need to check up on it when you radically make a big difference.

Staples
  • Sourdough Bread
  • Cheese
  • OJ
  • Coffee
  • Salt (I put 1/8 teaspoon per every 8 oz of liquid of coffee or OJ)
  • Aspirin (I take 11 325 mg tablets a day so for me it's more like a food and less like a supplement)
Supplements / Extras
  • Beef Liver
  • Beef
  • E
  • K
  • D
  • Magnesium
  • Niacinimide
  • CoQ10
  • Something called C-60
screencapture-cronometer-2019-02-25-10_27_00.png

Summary
  • PUFA is at 4.6 g / day
  • Calories 3.3k / day
  • Sodium is 6 g / day
I'm currently gaining weight, but it has slowed down since when I first began eating like this. I too was underweight and exhausted from eating a diet that didn't work for too long (keto, etc.) . I plan on trying to eat even more calories to gain even more weight.

I immediately started to gain weight on this diet. When I first started, I ate bread toasted in coconut oil (fried in a pan) and I got thick quick. All I would do is put a few tablespoons of coconut oil and fry some bread in it to taste and ate that. It's super delicious and the saturated fat and MCT oil is good for digestion and metabolism. Also, I think starches are essential to weight gain. Bread and potatoes are good starches and less damaging and most practical for me (as an American). You may find rice and other starches are preferable to you or are more convenient depending upon where you live and culture, etc.

If I were you, I would:
  • Start tracking calories immediately--the sooner the better
  • Focus on drinking to satisfy thirst, eating to satisfy hunger, and salting everything to satisfy appetite--your body, if you are underweight, will send you signals if you are paying attention to it to do what's best for it and you
  • Eat fried bread!
  • Making an effort to keep PUFAs down as best as you can by eating foods you love that also happen to be low in PUFAs
Hope that helps

All the best

Inaut

I wish i still ate sourdough :( I could live off grilled cheeses (with coconut oil and sourdough). Big thing would be finding gluten free bread...that might entice me back to the dark side...

bromuda

@Redshine

I'll share what I eat.

You can use cronometer.com to track your nutrition. I would start today--immediately. Just make estimates and then each day you'll get more and more accurate until you're right on the money. It's good to make it a habit. Then, once you get the idea, you only need to check up on it when you radically make a big difference.

Staples
  • Sourdough Bread
  • Cheese
  • OJ
  • Coffee
  • Salt (I put 1/8 teaspoon per every 8 oz of liquid of coffee or OJ)
  • Aspirin (I take 11 325 mg tablets a day so for me it's more like a food and less like a supplement)
Supplements / Extras
  • Beef Liver
  • Beef
  • E
  • K
  • D
  • Magnesium
  • Niacinimide
  • CoQ10
  • Something called C-60
View attachment 12350

Summary
  • PUFA is at 4.6 g / day
  • Calories 3.3k / day
  • Sodium is 6 g / day
I'm currently gaining weight, but it has slowed down since when I first began eating like this. I too was underweight and exhausted from eating a diet that didn't work for too long (keto, etc.) . I plan on trying to eat even more calories to gain even more weight.

I immediately started to gain weight on this diet. When I first started, I ate bread toasted in coconut oil (fried in a pan) and I got thick quick. All I would do is put a few tablespoons of coconut oil and fry some bread in it to taste and ate that. It's super delicious and the saturated fat and MCT oil is good for digestion and metabolism. Also, I think starches are essential to weight gain. Bread and potatoes are good starches and less damaging and most practical for me (as an American). You may find rice and other starches are preferable to you or are more convenient depending upon where you live and culture, etc.

If I were you, I would:
  • Start tracking calories immediately--the sooner the better
  • Focus on drinking to satisfy thirst, eating to satisfy hunger, and salting everything to satisfy appetite--your body, if you are underweight, will send you signals if you are paying attention to it to do what's best for it and you
  • Eat fried bread!
  • Making an effort to keep PUFAs down as best as you can by eating foods you love that also happen to be low in PUFAs
Hope that helps

All the best
That's a lot of aspirin, may I ask why you consume that much?

tara

If you want to tell more, or just for yourself ...
How many calories are you eating a day? Height and weight would be helpful as well.
+1
and:
- very rough age (eg teen/under 25/mature adult/pregnant or nursing/pre or post menopausal?)
- whether very active or very sedentary or somewhere in between
- average a few resting body temps
- what are you eating?
You can use cronometer.com to track your nutrition.
+1

rei

Constantly snacking on chocolate is a good way to add bulk and it is very healthy as long as you get real chocolate.

biffbelvin

As others have said start tracking calories to make sure you're eating an adequate amount. Use a calculator to work out your minimum requirements and make sure you're eating roughly 500 calories more.

If you find it difficult to eat enough calories due to appetite, you could try low dose cyproheptadine for a couple of weeks. If I use a single drop of the idealabs version topically before dinner, I find that I can eat drastically more food.

Luann

I have the same issue as @Redshine and was about to post a thread but found this one. Some good advice on here.

Consistency is very important when it comes to gaining weight. Instead of overeating 1000 calories on one day and overeating just 100 calories or not overeating at all on another days will produce less results than overeating 600 calories or more every single day.
I would still try to keep PUFA as low as possible, since the goal isn't to break the metabolism, but to lower stress hormones in the long run and then maintain a good weight with a good metabolism. Protein can be useful to gain muscle as well as fat, but it can be tricky, since protein very reliably lowers appetite.

Niacinamide and aspirin can increase weight, and cyproheptadine can do the same. Fructose is better for maintaing healthy muscle and fat mass than glucose. Lysine in my experience increases muscle mass a lot, and since it lowers serotonin, it should work against excessive weight loss.