Too Much Vitamin E Messed Up My Gut

answersfound

I know, stupid....I took too much vitamin e and it screwed up my gut. Vomiting and nausea. No appetite and just overall queasy and sensitive. Anything I can do to start feeling better? Cypro?

michael94

Are you taking vitamin k complex? I think vitamin E in higher doses depletes k.

Are you sure it's your gut messed up and not feeling nauseous because of liver issues? Liver issues = terrible nausea and shitty feeling which I think could be caused from lack of vit k

OP
A

answersfound

icecreamlover said:

Are you sure it's your gut messed up and not feeling nauseous because of liver issues? Liver issues = terrible nausea and s****y feeling which I think could be caused from lack of vit k

My liver I believe to be in excellent shape. I do take Vitamin K, but i don't think thats the issue.

I actually had this reaction back in February to Unique E, but that time it was more intense. see here:

https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... 5&start=20

This was a natural Vitamin E from sunflower oil and it was very subtle reaction as it happened over the course of a couple days, unlike the Unique E which hit me pretty quickly. I will certainly be taking it topically, if at all, moving forward.

D

Derek

answersfound said:
post 112546
icecreamlover said:

Are you sure it's your gut messed up and not feeling nauseous because of liver issues? Liver issues = terrible nausea and s****y feeling which I think could be caused from lack of vit k

My liver I believe to be in excellent shape. I do take Vitamin K, but i don't think thats the issue.

I actually had this reaction back in February to Unique E, but that time it was more intense. see here:

This was a natural Vitamin E from sunflower oil and it was very subtle reaction as it happened over the course of a couple days, unlike the Unique E which hit me pretty quickly. I will certainly be taking it topically, if at all, moving forward.

You're taking thyroid and avoiding PUFA right? If so, why in the world would you think you would need supplemental vitamin E?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

answersfound

Derek said:
answersfound said:
post 112546
icecreamlover said:

You're taking thyroid and avoiding PUFA right? If so, why in the world would you think you would need supplemental vitamin E?

Of course I avoid pufa. But some pufa is just not avoidable for me. I drink whole milk, eat ice cream, etc. but I read ray says to take 400 IU vitamin e like once a week, and I was pretty much doing it everyday. I think this did something to my vitamin A stores and my system went haywire.

I read this from Haidut so let's see if it works....

A quick remedy may be to take a higher dose of vitamin A with your vitamin E. It has been shown to reduce symptoms of IBS / gastritis caused by irritants (including vitamin E). I used to get irritated stomach from Unique E (I don't take that brand any more for different reasons) several years ago, which disappeared after I took my vitamin E with 100,000 IU of retinyl acetate. Took the vitamin A for 3 days in a row and after that vitamin E stopped irritating my stomach.

Wilfrid

When it comes to supplement, it may be wise to take only RDA dose orally or , for much higher dose, the skin route ( mainly for oily vitamins ). If you decide to start taking very high dose of vitamins/minerals, you will quickly enter the twilight zone. The vitamins interrelationship stuff is complex and far exceed any scientific studies based on it when it comes to your own body biochemistry.
FWIW, I used to react to ( even low dose ) nicotinamide ( like many on the forum ) until lately, when searching for a solution, I found an indian product with a combination ( and specific ratio ) of thyroid/B6/nicotinamide....and the addition of low dose B6 solved my problem with the B3, as long as I take 1/4 grains of thyroid at the same time.
Derek's advice is excellent. :hattip

XPlus

Derek said:

Excess estrogen?

tara

@answers, did you take the vit-E on an empty stomach? Could it just be the straingh physical viscosity bothering your gut?
If that's apossibility, another thing you could try is taking it with food or mixing/diluting it with some easier fat. If you want to try taking more, that is.

Derek said:
post 112561 You're taking thyroid and avoiding PUFA right? If so, why in the world would you think you would need supplemental vitamin E?
Maybe because stopping eating PUFA doesn't instantly remove the accumulation from previous years, and he wants some protection from that? I don't think Peat recommends high doses, but I think he has said small doses can be useful as long as there is significant stored PUFA to be released.

Makrosky

answersfound said:
A quick remedy may be to take a higher dose of vitamin A with your vitamin E. It has been shown to reduce symptoms of IBS / gastritis caused by irritants (including vitamin E). I used to get irritated stomach from Unique E (I don't take that brand any more for different reasons) several years ago, which disappeared after I took my vitamin E with 100,000 IU of retinyl acetate. Took the vitamin A for 3 days in a row and after that vitamin E stopped irritating my stomach.

Why not using a product that contains a good ratio of A,D,E and K ?

Makrosky

Derek said:

Maybe he wants to block the ocassional PUFA EVERYONE ingest ?

Maybe he is trying to lower estrogen ? There are lots of things pro estrogenic, not only PUFA.

D

Derek

XPlus said:
post 112596
Derek said:

Excess estrogen?

There are plenty of other ways to lower estrogen, ways that won't make you hyperthyroid. If you're not eating any PUFA there really is no need for E. If your taking thyroid, since E is a surrogate for thyroid; then there is even less of a need for E. If he's avoiding PUFA and taking NDT, probably better to take vitamin A to lower estrogen than vitamin E.

D

Derek

tara said:
post 112607 @answers, did you take the vit-E on an empty stomach? Could it just be the straingh physical viscosity bothering your gut?
If that's apossibility, another thing you could try is taking it with food or mixing/diluting it with some easier fat. If you want to try taking more, that is.

Derek said:
post 112561 You're taking thyroid and avoiding PUFA right? If so, why in the world would you think you would need supplemental vitamin E?
Maybe because stopping eating PUFA doesn't instantly remove the accumulation from previous years, and he wants some protection from that? I don't think Peat recommends high doses, but I think he has said small doses can be useful as long as there is significant stored PUFA to be released.

He didn't specify, but I would assume he has been avoiding PUFA for some time. So it isn't like he stopped eating PUFA last week. We don't really know if he has significantly stored PUFA. Answersfound takes NDT, that will help you to burn off stored PUFA; so again, not much need for E.

D

Derek

Makrosky said:
post 112624
Derek said:

Maybe he wants to block the ocassional PUFA EVERYONE ingest ?

Maybe he is trying to lower estrogen ? There are lots of things pro estrogenic, not only PUFA.

Well if he eats an occasional PUFA laden meal and takes vitamin E that's one thing. As I understood it, he avoids PUFA like the plague and was taking vitamin E daily.

As I said, there are other ways to lower estrogen without making yourself hyperthyroid from high dose NDT + E. Two things that come to mind are vitamin A and zinc.

XPlus

Derek said:
There are plenty of other ways to lower estrogen, ways that won't make you hyperthyroid. If you're not eating any PUFA there really is no need for E. If your taking thyroid, since E is a surrogate for thyroid; then there is even less of a need for E. If he's avoiding PUFA and taking NDT, probably better to take vitamin A to lower estrogen than vitamin E.

I think I've seen Ray mention Aspirin and Caffeine having thyroid-like activity. Methylene Blue can have a similar effect in my experience but Vitamin E works by opposing estrogen.

Vitamin A is more difficult to balance and its excess can inhibit the thyroid.
I wouldn't take Vitamin A without Vitamin E, anyway.
Zinc supplements are likely problematic.

D

Derek

Vitamin E has thyroid like activity as well. Whether it's direct or indirect through the opposition of estrogen or PUFA.

I agree zinc supplements are problematic, as well as most if not all supplements. That's why my initial response to the OP was stop taking supplements. I meant getting zinc and A from food, guess I should of made that more clear.

You can certainly take A without E. It depends on the rest of the diet and how it balanced it is. Example: low PUFA decreases need for vitamin E, metabolism is faster, vitamin A isn't as problematic/thyroid suppressive.

tomisonbottom

This is interesting to me.....why do you say he is hyperthyroid?
Don't people generally feel better being a little hyperthyroid?

D

Derek

This is interesting to me.....why do you say he is hyperthyroid?
Don't people generally feel better being a little hyperthyroid?

If you are avoiding PUFA and eating SFA, taking NDT, taking vitamin E, then chances are you are pushing your metabolic rate to it's limits. It's overkill in my opinion. There's no need to take NDT when you are taking thyroid surrogates. Also, increasing metabolic rate increases estrogen as well as all hormones. So if you want to lower estrogen without making yourself run off a cliff metabolically, then Vitamin A is a better way to lower it than E.

They may feel better short term being hyperthyroid, but what about long term?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals