Too much thyroid... How long?

Waldoj

Synopsis:
I took too much thyroid (cynoplus) and developed hyperthyroid symptoms. How long should it take to go back to "normal"? It's been 5 months since I stopped the cynoplus and I still have uncomfortable symptoms.

Details:
I used to be mildly hypothyroid for a long time. I struggled with cold hands and feet, anxiety, and fatigue most of my adult life (I'm 40). I finally decided to try thyroid supplementation last year (cynoplus) and I think I overdid it.

Now I feel hot, get sweaty easily, have a pounding heartbeat, and trouble sleeping. I used to sleep 8 hours easily and now I average 6 hours. My resting heart rate has increased to around 90-100 during the day when it used to be 50-55. I also have weird symptoms like knee pain when going down stairs and eye pain, which I never had before and think are hyperthyroid related.

I've seen threads on the forum mentioning similar situations with taking too much thyroid, but in those the thyroid supplementation was for a very short period of time or a single large dose. In my case I supplemented for 5 months. I started at 1/8 cynoplus tablet and worked up to 3/4 tablet. Now it has been 5 months since I stopped.

I hoped that stopping the cynoplus would make me eventually go back to how I was pre-supplementation. That hasn't happened after 5 months. Is there something I should do to force myself to go back to "normal"?

Labs:
T3 uptake, T4 Total, and Free T4 = high
TSH = very low (<0.01)

Oura ring:
from when I started cynoplus to today...
1651891099020.png

from when i started wearing the ring in 2018:
1651891713928.png

Last edited:

TheCodez

This is fascinating! There is no way there is any Cynoplus remaining in your system 5 months post cessation. Have you changed your diet significantly (i.e. more saturated fat or calcium)? Both saturated fat and calcium are very potent sympathetic nervous system activators (where magnesium is a potent para-sympathetic activator). I've heard numerous stories of folk increasing their fatty meat intake and experiencing similar symptoms. The impact of such dietary changes varies greatly from body to body as some folk tend toward parasympathetic dominance and others toward sympathetic dominance. It would seem that a balanced autonomic nervous system is optimal, but the path there can vary wildly from person to person depending on their starting point. This is one reason I don't believe there is a one-size-fits-all rigidly prescriptive optimal dietary approach. When my lifestyle pushes me toward too far in the sympathetic direction and my sleep decreases and my heart rate increases I've found that greatly increasing my magnesium (and potassium) intake tends to balance things and greatly improve my sleep.
Obviously I'm not a doctor and this totally is NOT medical advice.

OP
W

Waldoj

@Green Dot I finally got my thyroid levels tested again in August and it convinced me I'm hyperthyroid (attached).

I then tried doing things to reverse it: eliminate high iodine foods, cut back coffee, stopped taking pro metabolic supplements like aspirin, pregnenolone. I also tried non-peaty ayurvedic herbs and yoga stuff. This thread was very helpful Here's what you need to do if you have hyperthyroidism

It's been 2 months and my symptoms have improved but feels like only by about 45%. I'm going to get another thyroid lab test soon to confirm I'm improving.

Attachments

• thyroid 8-19-22.JPG
    thyroid 8-19-22.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 52

TheCodez

@Green Dot I finally got my thyroid levels tested again in August and it convinced me I'm hyperthyroid (attached).

I then tried doing things to reverse it: eliminate high iodine foods, cut back coffee, stopped taking pro metabolic supplements like aspirin, pregnenolone. I also tried non-peaty ayurvedic herbs and yoga stuff. This thread was very helpful Here's what you need to do if you have hyperthyroidism

It's been 2 months and my symptoms have improved but feels like only by about 45%. I'm going to get another thyroid lab test soon to confirm I'm improving.
Do you eat liver? I can't find a link right off but I'm thinking I read many years ago something about copper deficiency being a possible cause of hyperthyroid.

OP
W

Waldoj

Do you eat liver? I can't find a link right off but I'm thinking I read many years ago something about copper deficiency being a possible cause of hyperthyroid.
Yep. I eat liver at least 2-3x a month.

Green Dot

Sorry for the late reply, I hope you feel better now.

Have you tried checking your cholesterol levels? I think assessing your metabolic state is more reliable that way per Peat, IIRC.

Energizer

Most people who think they're hyperthyroid are actually hypothyroid. True hyperthyroidism is surpassingly rare. Especially if you are a 40 year old male. You have your pulse readings but no temperature readings. You said you were feeling hot. That can mean a lot of things (sometimes that can be adrenaline). My default stance when people claim hyperthyroid is to be skeptical, because of how difficult it actually is unless you are chronically taking a thyroid supplement ( and you said yourself you are five months off it, so it is unlikely) or high dose progesterone and have a goiter. If you are desperate to depress your thyroid, you can drink cabbage juice. I would not recommend that though. To me you sound more like someone with hypothyroidism. I mean no disrespect here, I just don't think you should take blood tests at face value. Also, agree with Green Dot there, your metabolic rate is a good tell of the state of your thyroid. Peat said when he experienced temporary hyperthyroidism due to being exposed to a pesticide he had to eat a lot more and shower more for a few weeks.

mgrabs

Most people who think they're hyperthyroid are actually hypothyroid. True hyperthyroidism is surpassingly rare. Especially if you are a 40 year old male. You have your pulse readings but no temperature readings. You said you were feeling hot. That can mean a lot of things (sometimes that can be adrenaline). My default stance when people claim hyperthyroid is to be skeptical, because of how difficult it actually is unless you are chronically taking a thyroid supplement ( and you said yourself you are five months off it, so it is unlikely) or high dose progesterone and have a goiter. If you are desperate to depress your thyroid, you can drink cabbage juice. I would not recommend that though. To me you sound more like someone with hypothyroidism. I mean no disrespect here, I just don't think you should take blood tests at face value. Also, agree with Green Dot there, your metabolic rate is a good tell of the state of your thyroid. Peat said when he experienced temporary hyperthyroidism due to being exposed to a pesticide he had to eat a lot more and shower more for a few weeks.
but his TSH shows its 0.1? How would that be hypo

OP
W

Waldoj

@mgrabs That’s what I’m saying… Thanks for that validating comment :)

I feel there is a prevailing disbelief that hyperthyroidism even exists on this forum and felt a little gaslit posting about my struggle with it. My thyroid levels eventually went back to normal just recently after a 2 year struggle with the help of bugleweed and low iodine diet among other things. I still have lingering effects, specifically thyroid eye disease (protruding eyes, blurred vision).

I don’t think my hyper/graves was caused only by cynoplus though. I was also going through emotional stress and taking various pro metabolic supplements that probably created a perfect storm situation.

youngsinatra

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! And yeah, your labs look 100% indicative of hyperthyroidism, no way to argue around it.