清貴杉山

I find oats, lentils, rice, fruit, and cocoa butter a really satisfying base that is filling and keeps me going for hours between meals. Egg yolks and oysters for the micronutrients.
how do you prepare lentils and oats? want to incorporate some cheaper options to my diet,and i like both

Sefton10

how do you prepare lentils and oats? want to incorporate some cheaper options to my diet,and i like both
I buy already sprouted oats and sprout lentils myself. Both then cooked in an Instantpot.

Sefton10

OMG I love all of these, except cocoa butter that I have never tried and don't know how to use. I just tried homemade sourdough and eggs for breakfast because I looove bread. But usually my sourdough leaves me hungry, but maybe because I don't put fat with it. I normally do mashed banana. Breakfast is the hardest for me because my favourite combos leave me hungry. I prefer to eat my bread or porridge but I don't know what fat sources to put with it that will help blood sugar and satiety. I crave more sweet foods in the morning. What's your breakfast? How do you eat your oats?
Cocoa butter goes well in porridge, maybe try that.

N

nobody

OMG I love all of these, except cocoa butter that I have never tried and don't know how to use. I just tried homemade sourdough and eggs for breakfast because I looove bread. But usually my sourdough leaves me hungry, but maybe because I don't put fat with it. I normally do mashed banana. Breakfast is the hardest for me because my favourite combos leave me hungry. I prefer to eat my bread or porridge but I don't know what fat sources to put with it that will help blood sugar and satiety. I crave more sweet foods in the morning. What's your breakfast? How do you eat your oats?
My personal satisfying and satiating breakfast is 3 cups of raw whole jersey milk. I gently heat it in a warm water bath to 92 degrees Fahrenheit and sip slowly over the course of one hour, making sure to combine well with salivary secretions.

This is a complete supper for me as well. Ayurveda speaks upon the morning and evening meal being the lightest in quantity because our digestive fire is limited during these periods of the day. The midday meal could be more appropriate for heavier foods such as meat, eggs, sweet potatoes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreekDemiGod

I have been eating a lot of protein like 150-200 grams a day. After listening to the latest Ray peat interview and read more and all that im currently experimenting with lower protien. 50-60 grams a day from animal sources like milk etc. Its been some weeks but im currently not experiemencing any negative effects. And i really hope this is the way to go as well because it makes eating so much more delicious, cheap and easy. Im also into bodybuilding and im cutting as well to get single digit bodyfat % lean. So im really putting this into the test.
Look for signs of muscle loss in a few months. A few weeks is not that much time.

Siddha

@RPDiciple Hello.
A couple of months ago, you switched from a high protein intake (150-200) to a low protein intake (50-60).
Please share your thoughts on this and what did you end up doing?

LadyRae

Its really nice atm at least and i also trust Ray
I would also be really interested in hearing your update. There has been a lot of talk and discussion about protein after Peat mentioned in that podcast that he has lowered his protein consumption. I have been eating a lot more of my protein in the form of gelatin, I actually make these delicious jellos with blended fruit and I will put coconut Cool whip on top. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting carried away, they are so good.

This methionine restriction experiment of mine has yielded some interesting results:
My pants are definitely looser, and my wedding ring feels much looser in the morning when I wake up which is a sign I watch for proper digestion...
I seem to sleep better, 7 to 9 hours a night...

But I find that protein, in the form of lean meats like beef liver and heart, lean slow cooked pork loin, ground beef with mushrooms baked in the oven, eggs and the occasional chicken, are extremely satiating and satisfying. I could literally put down almost an entire rotisserie chicken 🙄.. but I haven't done that in a long time. I also like oysters and clams...

By the way, I am a 44 year old mother of four, 5 ft 10 in and 128 lb

remnant

I would also be really interested in hearing your update. There has been a lot of talk and discussion about protein after Peat mentioned in that podcast that he has lowered his protein consumption. I have been eating a lot more of my protein in the form of gelatin, I actually make these delicious jellos with blended fruit and I will put coconut Cool whip on top. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting carried away, they are so good.

This methionine restriction experiment of mine has yielded some interesting results:
My pants are definitely looser, and my wedding ring feels much looser in the morning when I wake up which is a sign I watch for proper digestion...

But I find that protein, in the form of lean meats like beef liver and heart, lean slow cooked pork loin, ground beef with mushrooms baked in the oven, eggs and the occasional chicken, are extremely satiating and satisfying. I could literally put down almost an entire rotisserie chicken 🙄.. but I haven't done that in a long time. I also like oysters and clams...

I'm new the forum and Ray Peat, but I am fascinated with the amount, and quality, of knowledge that is shared.

I have been eating far too much protein recently, upwards of 250-300 grams, consisting of ground beef, liver, and eggs. I just added oysters as well.
Not eating many carbs at all, probably around 100 grams per day of fruit, honey, and OJ. I also drink a small amount of kefir and have one carrot per day.
I am eating coconut oil, and collagen with every meal. I also drink mineral water all day long.

My issue centers around insomnia and anxiety. I work out on a daily basis...weights 4-5 times per week, and calisthenics the other days.
I'm a lifelong athlete, in good shape (under 10% bodyfat), and above average strength, but I feel like I can be much healthier, and happier.

I will add more balance to my nutrition by increasing the fruit, and honey, decreasing the red meat, and maybe adding a bit more dairy as well.
I'm also tracking my temperature, and heart rate. My temperature is usually in the 96-97 range and my heart rate is roughly around 85.

Looking forward to sharing my journey, and learning from everyone along the way :)

Sefton10

My issue centers around insomnia and anxiety. I work out on a daily basis...weights 4-5 times per week, and calisthenics the other days.
I'm a lifelong athlete, in good shape (under 10% bodyfat), and above average strength, but I feel like I can be much healthier, and happier.
There's a good thread emerging here from another new member on recovery from intense exercise.

OP
mantq

mantq

I'm new the forum and Ray Peat, but I am fascinated with the amount, and quality, of knowledge that is shared.

I have been eating far too much protein recently, upwards of 250-300 grams, consisting of ground beef, liver, and eggs. I just added oysters as well.
Not eating many carbs at all, probably around 100 grams per day of fruit, honey, and OJ. I also drink a small amount of kefir and have one carrot per day.
I am eating coconut oil, and collagen with every meal. I also drink mineral water all day long.

I will add more balance to my nutrition by increasing the fruit, and honey, decreasing the red meat, and maybe adding a bit more dairy as well.
I'm also tracking my temperature, and heart rate. My temperature is usually in the 96-97 range and my heart rate is roughly around 85.

Looking forward to sharing my journey, and learning from everyone along the way :)
Considering the fact that you are an active athlete, you would need way more carbs (speaking from experience).
The only issue that I have from carbs, is that my face bloats significantly (within 1-2 days), however I feel rather great on high carb! I've been trying to figure out on why that could be the case and now am wondering, if it could be the relatively high amount of protein that I consume (almost 300g).

remnant

There's a good thread emerging here from another new member on recovery from intense exercise.
Thanks for sharing that link! I'm definitely a "self-punisher", so I need to work on being a little nicer to myself. If we're in a bad mindset, it doesn't matter how perfect we eat, we'll still be in the same place. All about finding a balance between mind and body.

remnant

Considering the fact that you are an active athlete, you would need way more carbs (speaking from experience).
The only issue that I have from carbs, is that my face bloats significantly (within 1-2 days), however I feel rather great on high carb! I've been trying to figure out on why that could be the case and now am wondering, if it could be the relatively high amount of protein that I consume (almost 300g).
I added more fruit, honey, and milk to my meal last night, and already feel much better. I'm going to keep track of my macros, and look for a good balance between carbs, fat, and protein. Maybe keep everything in a 1 to 1 ratio to get myself back to center. Considering life is kind of a science project, experimentation is the best way to learn.
Could your bloating issue have to do with what type of carbs you eat? I seem to do much better with just fruit, and honey, as opposed to any starches.
I do think it's important to look at activity level on a daily basis, and eat more in line with that, then to have some fixed number of calories. Our bodies let us know what's needed, and what isn't. The hard part is quieting the noise around us, and truly tuning into our own organism.

frannybananny

How healthy will we be when we start eating eating animals vaxxed with mRNA?

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1610402309174972417

remnant

I used to eat this way and always felt on edge and stressed. Carbs were key to me feeling balanced, calm and happy. Meat drives aggression which may help in weight lifting but sucks for some other areas of your life when you just want to chill and be a nice person.

On the flip side when I go too low on protein I do feel something is missing and my cravings are worse. There is of a course a balance to these things…

remnant

I used to eat this way and always felt on edge and stressed. Carbs were key to me feeling balanced, calm and happy. Meat drives aggression which may help in weight lifting but sucks for some other areas of your life when you just want to chill and be a nice person.

On the flip side when I go too low on protein I do feel something is missing and my cravings are worse. There is of a course a balance to these things…
Balance is definitely key!
I've been eating less meat, more fruit, and more dairy. My sleep has improved tremendously, which means everything in life has improved.
I like eating simply, with nutrient dense foods. Quality over quantity is a motto I'm finally learning to trust.

LadyRae

@frannybananny regarding vaxxed animal protein, and standard feedlot protein in general... I have been focusing on alternatives like:
Eggs from my own backyard chickens
Venison (and their organs) shot local by friends
Oysters, clams
Grass-fed beef gelatin

I'm not eating as much protein every day as I was 6 months ago, without a doubt.

Even before the idea of vaccinated animals popped into my mind, I've always been suspicious of conventionally raised meat because of the GMO corn and soy diet and of course glyphosate...

frannybananny

@frannybananny regarding vaxxed animal protein, and standard feedlot protein in general... I have been focusing on alternatives like:
Eggs from my own backyard chickens
Venison (and their organs) shot local by friends
Oysters, clams
Grass-fed beef gelatin

I'm not eating as much protein every day as I was 6 months ago, without a doubt.

Even before the idea of vaccinated animals popped into my mind, I've always been suspicious of conventionally raised meat because of the GMO corn and soy diet and of course glyphosate...
Thank you for your thoughts @LadyRae ....I, too, eat less protein than I used to but do love eggs! My grandparents used to have a chicken farm in Texas......just a scratched out poor piece o land but that's basically how they subsisted...eggs, eating chickens and big veggie garden. I had always had a very large veggie garden in my adult life until the gophers and squirrels drove me out. It's war now. I used to want egg laying hens but here in my rural canyon they would take a huge amount of work in building a shelter to protect them from the coyotes, watching out for them all the time, and also I don't want to be chained down at this time in my life... want to enjoy my free time with my husband, So I guess no chickens for me. Enjoy yours!!
I don't eat oysters but do pluck mussels from the rocks in the ocean at low tide... do you happen to know if mussels have similar nutrients as oysters?