Too Much Iron? How To Know?

leo

I am getting labs early next week and would like to check my iron status.

What specifically do I ask for? And what does Peat consider too high?

In the past I ate a lot of meat, and never had coffee or cola with it. To top it off, I had early menopause, so I fear I may be high and if I am, am considering blood donating.

Thank you.

Mittir

You will need both serum Ferritin and Transferrin Saturation Index ( also called iron saturation index).
This gives a complete picture of your total iron storage. RP has said that iron saturation index lower than 25 percent is protective against cancer. Ferritin level depends on many factors including hypothyroidism and inflammation.

Mittir

Hemoglobin test shows if one is anemic or not. It is usually a part of regular blood test.
Hypothyroid people tend to be anemic even when they have adequate iron storage.

OP
L

leo

Thanks

I am getting labs done tomorrow. So far on list:

calcium
sodium
potassium
magnesium
*these are to determine cause of higher blood pressure

chloride
co2
ferritin
transferritin saturation index

Should I add anything else?

thnx

Mittir

@leo Parathyroid hormone Test ( PTH) is important in evaluating high BP problem.
Doctors usually do calcium and PTH together.

@swandattur If you are diagnosed with anemia the next step is to determine if
you have sufficient iron storage or not. If iron storage is low you will eat iron rich food.
If iron status is fine then improving thyroid condition is treatment for anemia.

OP
L

leo

Thank you Mittir. I am doing labs on my own, not through a doctor, although I do have a cardio appt. on Wed. Funny, blood pressure has come back down. No idea on earth what caused it nor what got rid of it.

Only thing I did was drop supplements and be more diligent with the magnesium oil on feet.

sara n.

Where does total serum iron fit in determining iron status?
My serum iron jumped almost 50 pts last year, and a further 32 pts this year, this year 168, so it is over 80 pts higher than my usual average (past years it was always in the 80s).

Ferritin is supposedly fine at 53, but honestly, I feel best when my ferritin is under 30.

FWIW, my hemoglobin is always at the higher end of range, and transferrin sat has never been high.

tomisonbottom

@leo Parathyroid hormone Test ( PTH) is important in evaluating high BP problem.
Doctors usually do calcium and PTH together.

@Swandattur If you are diagnosed with anemia the next step is to determine if
you have sufficient iron storage or not. If iron storage is low you will eat iron rich food.
If iron status is fine then improving thyroid condition is treatment for anemia.

How do you check if you have good iron storage?