Too much fluids making you bloated?

stevensmith

I just want to throw this in the debate forum because I think it is an issue that a lot of people deal with when following Peat's work.

I think a lot of people think that Peat suggests to drink a gallon of milk per day, in addition to 32-64 oz of orange juice!!!! lol.... This is very false. Just because he did something himself in the past, doesn't mean that you have to do it. Just because somebody eats a certain amount of food, etc, doesn't mean we all have to emulate their behavior and follow their food amounts. Peat also recommends eating salt and salty foods to balance out the amount of liquid one consumes, so that the person does not become hyponatremic (low sodium), which can cause a stress reaction and lower temperatures. I certainly have dabbled with drinking lots of fluids and have felt the effects of bloating and fatigue with heavy fluid consumption, along with a decreased body temp. At one point, I drank a gallon of milk and a 1/2 gallon of orange juice per day for a week! This was a stupid experiment as I felt like my waist size increased like 2 inches, and I felt like I was literally going to explode. I have found a sweet spot right now, as I drink 1/2 gallon of milk and 1/4 gallon of orange juice, but sometimes I comfortably enjoy more of either.

Has anybody else experienced trying to drink lots of fluids, and have had low temperatures as a result? Maybe if enough people answer, we can all come to the consensus that drinking a ***t load of fluid isn't a good idea.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thinking of moving this over to the Dietary forum.

cliff

I drink a gallon of milk and half gallon of OJ everyday with no problems, I also consume ~4 cups of water(mainly with gelatin) and other foods like rice/potatoes/chocolate/meat. I have no problems doing this, I typically eat anywhere from 5-6 meals a day though. I could see it causing problems if you try to eat all of this in 2-3 meals.

ericrlepine

I drink AT LEAST 2 litres of milk a day (½ gallon) and a litre (¼ gallon) of OJ myself. And then some carbonated water on top of that, coffee and often times either watermelon or watermelon juice... Other fruits as well during the course of the day... I workout everyday though (i.e. plenty of sweating) and I also consume around 1TBS+ of salt...

But, that's just me, and that's what works for my particular case...

OP
S

stevensmith

Yeah, I've seen that fluid consumption is highly individual. Cliff, if you surf all the time, I could easily understand you having no problems with that amount of fluid. Eric, I notice that myself, if I workout a lot, I can easily drink a gallon of milk and 1/2 gallon of OJ. But on days when I don't workout, drinking that much is a chore for me. I think also depends on where one lives. For example, I would think that if one lived in a hotter climate, and sweated more, they would need more fluids.

OP
S

stevensmith

Also, I didn't mean to say that its inappropriate to drink a lot, but I have noticed that many people believe that they must drink that much, even though it makes them uncomfortable.

Rem

For me yes, too much fluid bloats me. If drinking according to thirst seems a good rule of thumb, the problem with a Peat style diet is that we are prone to drink even if not thirsty, just to get calories.
I think Cliff makes a point with the idea of spreading fluid intake, so that the system is not suddenly overwhelmed with water.
Nevertheless, trying to replace milk with cheese, fruit/juice with potatoes or honey, drinking very strong coffee, and eating chocolate mousse, are some tricks to reduce my fluid intake. Unfortunately, fruit is so appealing and cooking potatoes so difficult (^^) that I drink a lot against my will.

milushq

I drink 1 liter of milk and about 1 liter of orange juice. Just yerstaday I've discovered the ice-cream recipe from Dr.Peat(thanks to this forum), so from now on it will also count for amount of milk consumed. There are also milk shakes and plenty of other different recipies with milk and orange juice. I think it's very important to consume enough calcium, like 1000 to 2000 mg a day, but it's up to one's preferences how to achieve this goal, in liquid or solid form ;)

narouz

stevensmith said:
I just want to throw this in the debate forum because I think it is an issue that a lot of people deal with when following Peat's work.

I think a lot of people think that Peat suggests to drink a gallon of milk per day, in addition to 32-64 oz of orange juice!!!! lol.... This is very false. Just because he did something himself in the past, doesn't mean that you have to do it. Just because somebody eats a certain amount of food, etc, doesn't mean we all have to emulate their behavior and follow their food amounts. Peat also recommends eating salt and salty foods to balance out the amount of liquid one consumes, so that the person does not become hyponatremic (low sodium), which can cause a stress reaction and lower temperatures. I certainly have dabbled with drinking lots of fluids and have felt the effects of bloating and fatigue with heavy fluid consumption, along with a decreased body temp. At one point, I drank a gallon of milk and a 1/2 gallon of orange juice per day for a week! This was a stupid experiment as I felt like my waist size increased like 2 inches, and I felt like I was literally going to explode. I have found a sweet spot right now, as I drink 1/2 gallon of milk and 1/4 gallon of orange juice, but sometimes I comfortably enjoy more of either.

Has anybody else experienced trying to drink lots of fluids, and have had low temperatures as a result? Maybe if enough people answer, we can all come to the consensus that drinking a ***t load of fluid isn't a good idea.

Define "bloated."
I feel "fat." :(