Too Much Energy. When Will It Settle?

Such_Umami

No doubt this thing works. However, it's almost too strong. I've got far too much energy, I can't sleep. I've tried all the recommendations on this forum and they've helped to some extent but only slightly. There's no stopping now though, I've got to push through it.

I'd say I'm only in the first month or so of doing it. I've read others on this forum know this as a familiar period and that after this happens, there is some kind of crash. Is this true? And if so, will I be able to sleep when I crash? How long will it take for it to happen?

At this point, crashing sounds like a dream.

lampofred

Thyroid-driven energy makes you fall asleep immediately and sleep deeply. What you are experiencing sounds like excess adrenaline.

There is no crash, if your diet is good you eventually stabilize at a higher metabolic rate without the adrenaline-driven agitation.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

The weird thing is that when I switched onto this diet, I could feel my cortisol be much less. I was stressed before but it evaporated very quickly. How come I was sleeping much better before but when I switch over to peats diet and I am experiencing less stress plus supplementing things like kelp to help my thyroid, that I'm all of a sudden have an excess of adrenaline?

dreamcatcher

The weird thing is that when I switched onto this diet, I could feel my cortisol be much less. I was stressed before but it evaporated very quickly. How come I was sleeping much better before but when I switch over to peats diet and I am experiencing less stress plus supplementing things like kelp to help my thyroid, that I'm all of a sudden have an excess of adrenaline?
Lack of calories can cause insomnia, specially if you use thyroid supplements.

Max23

Don´t look for unversal rules in dieting. Results will probably be very individual. With every diet change I made, I got the initial energy surge, which later faded. Some dietary "experts" suggest pulsing diets to reap benefits, like energy. Might not happen with everybody.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Yes I am vegan.

I eat 100g of protein, about 450g carbs (mostly from fruit), 150g saturated fat (from organic coconuts), 200g spinach. I supplement b12, iodine (from kelp), Vit D/E/K/K2.

Yes I am vegan.

I eat 100g of protein, about 450g carbs (mostly from fruit), 150g saturated fat (from organic coconuts), 200g spinach. I supplement b12, iodine (from kelp), Vit D/E/K/K2.

A B-Complex is adviseable,also all Elements that are different from meat,e.g. zinc,Magnesium,Copper.

somuch4food

Yes I am vegan.

How is that a Peat diet? I only see the application of the principles of sugar and saturated fat. Many don't do well on a pure sugar diet. You will see plenty of members incorporating starch in their diet. Tubers are thought of as the most beneficial.

Which fruits do you eat? What are your protein sources?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

How is that a Peat diet? I only see the application of the principles of sugar and saturated fat. Many don't do well on a pure sugar diet. You will see plenty of members incorporating starch in their diet. Tubers are thought of as the most beneficial.

Which fruits do you eat? What are your protein sources?

It's a peat diet in the sense that I am now getting enough sodium/calcium/sat-fat/protein/water and carbohydrates into my diet. I was doing this incorrectly before I am also focussing on thyroid function with the iodine from kelp along with the trace vitamins and minerals. But perhaps the biggest change is the move away from poly-unsaturated fats. I believe this is partly the reason because I've had improved sleep when I stop burning fat with carbs before going to sleep. But it's not the whole story because there is still something there which is providing too much energy that I can't handle right now. I think it could be because my mitochondria is being given a lot more energy but my brain is not used to dealing with it and is subsequently much more awake. Despite this, I am able to function on minimal sleep. I am having a thyroid function test on friday and hopefully that will shed some light on it.

My protein source is mostly lentils. I know this is as far from the peat principals because they contain fibre but I just can't believe that it's the cause because I have had lentils in the past with no problem. However, after incorporating this whole diet together, everything is changing, mostly for the better, my dreams are extremely lucid and showing me I'm on the right path, my skin is much better, I have put on about 7lbs of muscle (tracked through tanita scales which are consistent if you are consistent with how you weigh yourself). I can feel my stress is much less. The only problem I am having is that my sleep is very unpredictable and borderline insomnia. I've read on here that many other people experience the same thing in the beginning.

As for starches, this is interesting. I've come at this as a former fruitarian perspective and I did quite well with a lot of fruit sugar. This diet however is a whole different animal, I can see why he calls it bioenergetics because it's providing real energy and materials (but it's almost too much for me right now). I actually had the best sleep when I was eating rice cakes. What I think I'll do is exchange much of my fruit calories for starch calories and see if there's a difference.

LUH 3417

It's a peat diet in the sense that I am now getting enough sodium/calcium/sat-fat/protein/water and carbohydrates into my diet. I was doing this incorrectly before I am also focussing on thyroid function with the iodine from kelp along with the trace vitamins and minerals. But perhaps the biggest change is the move away from poly-unsaturated fats. I believe this is partly the reason because I've had improved sleep when I stop burning fat with carbs before going to sleep. But it's not the whole story because there is still something there which is providing too much energy that I can't handle right now. I think it could be because my mitochondria is being given a lot more energy but my brain is not used to dealing with it and is subsequently much more awake. Despite this, I am able to function on minimal sleep. I am having a thyroid function test on friday and hopefully that will shed some light on it.

My protein source is mostly lentils. I know this is as far from the peat principals because they contain fibre but I just can't believe that it's the cause because I have had lentils in the past with no problem. However, after incorporating this whole diet together, everything is changing, mostly for the better, my dreams are extremely lucid and showing me I'm on the right path, my skin is much better, I have put on about 7lbs of muscle (tracked through tanita scales which are consistent if you are consistent with how you weigh yourself). I can feel my stress is much less. The only problem I am having is that my sleep is very unpredictable and borderline insomnia. I've read on here that many other people experience the same thing in the beginning.

As for starches, this is interesting. I've come at this as a former fruitarian perspective and I did quite well with a lot of fruit sugar. This diet however is a whole different animal, I can see why he calls it bioenergetics because it's providing real energy and materials (but it's almost too much for me right now). I actually had the best sleep when I was eating rice cakes. What I think I'll do is exchange much of my fruit calories for starch calories and see if there's a difference.
Peat has said people with high thyroid function can take midday naps and sleep through the night. Are you sure you aren’t starving from lack of meat/eggs?

Yeah,please take entire B-Complex higher dosed and Magnesium.
This can be also the onset of something different.
I recommend eggs and meat also.
Maybe reduce the sport?
Since when are you off from the fruitarian diet type?
Any thorough or any at all attempt of refeed after such strain?
Why did you quit.

"I would operate under the premise of being deficient in everything
regarding micronutrient amount,and replete."
Bioavailability is also of high importance,not only quantity,Plant based vitamins have sugar-
adducts that reduces uptake or strength.
Element-analyses are not reliable,they are not per-batch,only the type of element which are absolutely
needed for the type of plant will be encountered.There will be not much zinc,
copper or iron if the plant does not need it.It isnt in the fertilizer after all.
Loss of capacity to retain Sodium is decreased by around 30 percent compared to baseline
in hypothyroidism.Are you hypothyroid?

Last edited:

lampofred

Yes I am vegan.

Eating sugar instead of starch shifts the hormone/transmitter balance to adrenaline instead of serotonin, which I think is a good thing, but good salt retention is necessary to keep adrenaline under control, and if your tissue PUFA/estrogen stores are high and thyroid function is not strong then you won't retain salt well and the resulting adrenaline excess will cause insomnia. Quality animal protein and salt are essential for your liver to flush all the estrogen from your system and the PUFA stores just take time and a relatively low-fat diet to deplete. If you don't want to eat animal products, Dr. Peat says potatoes have very high quality protein, better quality than even egg yolk.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Peat has said people with high thyroid function can take midday naps and sleep through the night. Are you sure you aren’t starving from lack of meat/eggs?

I'd be open to the idea if you could tell me what essential nutrient meat/eggs have that I'm not getting?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Yeah,please take entire B-Complex higher dosed and Magnesium.
This can be also the onset of something different.
I recommend eggs and meat also.
Maybe reduce the sport?
Since when are you off from the fruitarian diet type?
Any thorough or any at all attempt of refeed after such strain?
Why did you quit.

"I would operate under the premise of being deficient in everything
regarding micronutrient amount,and replete."
Bioavailability is also of high importance,not only quantity,Plant based vitamins have sugar-
adducts that reduces uptake or strength.
Element-analyses are not reliable,they are not per-batch,only the type of element which are absolutely
needed for the type of plant will be encountered.There will be not much zinc,
copper or iron if the plant does not need it.It isnt in the fertilizer after all.
Loss of capacity to retain Sodium is decreased by around 30 percent compared to baseline
in hypothyroidism.Are you hypothyroid?

My fruitarian experience was mostly on during the weekdays and off during weekends where I couldn't manage it. I stopped because I just found it so hard to follow and my stress levels were getting very high. I also believe I took it to the point where I could tell whether or not it was working. I still believe it has very good elements to it and will incorporate fruit days when I get my body back online because fruit really helps the detox and I did have many positive experiences with it in that regard.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Eating sugar instead of starch shifts the hormone/transmitter balance to adrenaline instead of serotonin, which I think is a good thing, but good salt retention is necessary to keep adrenaline under control, and if your tissue PUFA/estrogen stores are high and thyroid function is not strong then you won't retain salt well and the resulting adrenaline excess will cause insomnia. Quality animal protein and salt are essential for your liver to flush all the estrogen from your system and the PUFA stores just take time and a relatively low-fat diet to deplete. If you don't want to eat animal products, Dr. Peat says potatoes have very high quality protein, better quality than even egg yolk.

That's very interesting because I think my sodium intake is still on the low side. So if I'm having difficulty absorbing it, I must take even more to compensate. I will try this.

Is there anywhere I can read about sugar/starch serotonin/adrenaline connection?

Thanks.