Too much bourbon. Ways to mitigate damage?

This time of year, my work becomes more demanding and stressful. My alcohol consumption increases quite a bit. I know I need to reduce/eliminate drinking and that time will come. Until then, do any of you have suggestions to mitigate harm, ie. estrogen, belly fat, liver health, etc? Thank you in advance.

nomoreketones

Get a blood test and find out what your ALT/AST levels are. That will give you a good idea how much you have to worry.

B

Braveheart

lots of B1....before drinking and after.... Vitamin B1 can reverse heart damage/failure caused by alcoholism – To Extract Knowledge from Matter

and artemisinin

and finally....

Last edited by a moderator:

redsun

This time of year, my work becomes more demanding and stressful. My alcohol consumption increases quite a bit. I know I need to reduce/eliminate drinking and that time will come. Until then, do any of you have suggestions to mitigate harm, ie. estrogen, belly fat, liver health, etc? Thank you in advance.

Zinc and B-complex (especially B1) help metabolize alcohol. So taking extra of those will help. As for reducing liver fat, choline should be higher in the diet (eggs are a good and easy source).

haidut

Forum Supporter
Copy, thanks. Y'all are awesome.

In addition to the other advice for B1, I would also add niacinamide. It is a precursor to NAD and NAD levels determine how fast you metabolize alcohol as NAD is a cofactor for both alcohol dehydrogenase (ALD) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALHD). Not only that but NAD is also required cofactor for properly metabolizing acetic acid, which is the final output of alcohol metabolism. Furthermore, older studies have shown that reducing estrogens and/or increasing androgens drastically increases the mRNA levels of both ALD and ALHD. Those studies show giving old mice an aromatase inhibitor or androgen agonist enabled them to metabolize 4-5 times more alcohol per unit of time than even young controls. Combining both pathways (anti-estrogen + androgen) greatly amplifies these effects and also protects the liver not only by lowering estrogen (which burdens the liver) but also by reducing endotoxin absorption into the bloodstream (which also burdens the liver) through repair of the gut barrier (which alcohol damages). So, in theory taking B1, B3 and something like exemestane (which both lowers estrogen and metabolizes into an androgen) could allow one to outdrink the Russian army and still feel fresh in the morning and go to work. Kidding aside, 10mg exemestane before going out drinking makes me incapable of getting drunk...to the great amazement and even chagrin or my drinking buddies. To be honest, these "protection" approaches have a moral hazard involved. Not so much because they increase the propensity to drink more, but because you literally cannot get drink unless you are drinking hard liquor like water, and that removes most of the fun from social drinking events. The people around you can sense you are not getting buzzed and it makes them (and you) feel weird. I find that when you do not feel the buzz when using these remedies, over time it makes drinking boring and even annoying. So, use as you see fit, but keep in mind that with power/knowledge comes responsibility and judgment how/when/if to use it:):

OP
UphillEndeavors
Dude, nice. I am a wildland firefighter, so having the drinking ability of the Spetsnaz would definitely come in handy. Thank you for the reply. Great information.

B

Braveheart

In addition to the other advice for B1, I would also add niacinamide. It is a precursor to NAD and NAD levels determine how fast you metabolize alcohol as NAD is a cofactor for both alcohol dehydrogenase (ALD) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALHD). Not only that but NAD is also required cofactor for properly metabolizing acetic acid, which is the final output of alcohol metabolism. Furthermore, older studies have shown that reducing estrogens and/or increasing androgens drastically increases the mRNA levels of both ALD and ALHD. Those studies show giving old mice an aromatase inhibitor or androgen agonist enabled them to metabolize 4-5 times more alcohol per unit of time than even young controls. Combining both pathways (anti-estrogen + androgen) greatly amplifies these effects and also protects the liver not only by lowering estrogen (which burdens the liver) but also by reducing endotoxin absorption into the bloodstream (which also burdens the liver) through repair of the gut barrier (which alcohol damages). So, in theory taking B1, B3 and something like exemestane (which both lowers estrogen and metabolizes into an androgen) could allow one to outdrink the Russian army and still feel fresh in the morning and go to work. Kidding aside, 10mg exemestane before going out drinking makes me incapable of getting drunk...to the great amazement and even chagrin or my drinking buddies. To be honest, these "protection" approaches have a moral hazard involved. Not so much because they increase the propensity to drink more, but because you literally cannot get drink unless you are drinking hard liquor like water, and that removes most of the fun from social drinking events. The people around you can sense you are not getting buzzed and it makes them (and you) feel weird. I find that when you do not feel the buzz when using these remedies, over time it makes drinking boring and even annoying. So, use as you see fit, but keep in mind that with power/knowledge comes responsibility and judgment how/when/if to use it:):
B1/B3 WORK! "I find that when you do not feel the buzz when using these remedies, over time it makes drinking boring and even annoying." :darts: Its not "fun" any more...plus learned my lesson the hard way...stroke. Been a "baby" alcoholic most of my life and had I been replete in B1/B3 I'd be walking normal today. Why do some of us not learn, until we get hit in the head?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Taurine, dihydromyricetin and succinic acid (cardenosine) are all liver protective and help with the detoxification of alcohol.

youngsinatra

B1 + B7 + Magnesium (PDH↑)
B2 (FAD↑)
B3 (NAD↑)
Vitamin D (25OHD: 60-100ng/ml)
Vitamin K2/E
Caffeine + Taurine

Last edited:
OP
UphillEndeavors
is that the same as a hot shot? if so that's rough. id be downing bourbon as well, that is assuming I didn't quit after the first day
Hot shots are a type of crew, usually federal like USFS, BLM, BIA, etc. I am on an engine crew with the county. Occasionally I get attached to hot shots on bigger fires. They generally are hiking in or flown in for direct/indirect attacks on fires that vehicles can't get to.

Switch to white tequila. Dark liquors are more toxic to the liver than clear ones. High end white tequila makes for good sleep, unlike whiskey, and no bad feelings the next day.

youngsinatra

Switch to white tequila. Dark liquors are more toxic to the liver than clear ones. High end white tequila makes for good sleep, unlike whiskey, and no bad feelings the next day.
Yes, try some tequila sunrise, it tastes amazing and I never get a hangover from it. Fresh orange juice, tequila silver, grenadine syrup and ice cubes.

Yes, try some tequila sunrise, it tastes amazing and I never get a hangover from it. Fresh orange juice, tequila silver, grenadine syrup and ice cubes.
Yummy! I have been liking 2 ounces of white tequila with milk and honey or sugar before bed. It sounds strange, but replacing the Kaluah for sugar or raw honey tastes like a vanilla white Russian

E-mails from Kvothe about tequila, "It’s very pleasant, and might have small amounts of beneficial things from the maguey juice."

Asked whether he had a favorite brand
"No, I like any that is slightly yellow." ?

OP
UphillEndeavors
Thank you for the tequila recommendation. I have heard Ray mention clear alcohol being better, but my brain automatically went to vodka (which I do not like).

Thank you for the tequila recommendation. I have heard Ray mention clear alcohol being better, but my brain automatically went to vodka (which I do not like).
You will never look back after feeling so good with white tequila! Don't buy the cheap stuff either! Here is another quote from Dr. Peat, that should turn you from the dark side and into the light! ?

"Small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals