Too much baking soda?

Worlpt

Swandattur said:
I woke up a few times not feeling so good, but some fruit helped with tha
Are you doing LoCarb? More than a few Paleos end up with sleep-time hypoglycemia, characterized by rapid heart rate and edginess along with the insomnia.

OP
S

Swandattur

Worlpt, No, not for a while. Although I lost weight on a low carb diet, I think It caused me some health problems. I developed allergies I don't think I had before, on a low carb diet, and I did start having that type of insomnia. It may be sometimes I just get keyed up, which would mean my cortisol levels are up from stress. I was thinking some of the insomnia I have had lately might be from processed pectin, because I was eating this guava paste that had added pectin, not just the natural pectin in guava. I'll have to look for some without any processed pectin. I read something just the other day about added pectin containing allergens. So, maybe it isn't the natural pectin that is in the fruit that is the problem but pectin that has been extracted and processed some peculiar way.
I was just thinking about that 'keyed up' thing. When children get overtired and wired, maybe they are experiencing high cortisol from just too much stimulation. Maybe us adults should learn something from that.

Worlpt

Swandattur said:
I was just thinking about that 'keyed up' thing. When children get overtired and wired, maybe they are experiencing high cortisol from just too much stimulation. Maybe us adults should learn something from that.
yep, and/or adrenalin.

If I go on a particularly long bike ride through hills, I sometimes am literally too worn out to sleep for hours afterward :) It took a while before I realized that I was keyed up from the exercise-induced adrenalin that my system was using to provoke gluconeogenesis from the liver.

Worlpt

Dan Wich said:
I wish there was more data about transdermal absorption of different substances, it seems like a barely-studied topic.
Just in case not everybody has seen this semi-famous one:
http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/article ... ulfate.pdf

which proves that not every single study has to be super expensive to conduct in the modern world of science as big business. They work in a lab (in England) so they have the equipment, the workers volunteered as subjects, they take epsom salt baths and measure their blood. There you have it, a useful mini-experiment. (Maybe this is forbidden now, this one was some years ago.)

As a contrast, I remember reading a recent master's thesis on exercise and using some supplement, the subjects were paid a thousand dollars for twice-per-week exercise sessions over maybe 6 weeks. Incredible.

Worlpt

Swandattur said:
I developed allergies I don't think I had before, on a low carb diet, and I did start having that type of insomnia.
You probably know that the allergy-induced immune chemical histamine is also an alertness chemical. That's why the antihistamine Benadryl/diphenhydramine is also a sleep aid, and is the single ingredient in OTC drugs like Sominex.

What might not be so well known is that quercetin is sort of an antihistamine, but in a different way (not as a blocker). Histamine is mainly released from Mast Cells, and quercetin is a mast cell stabilizer; so the MCs are less likely to release their histamine. In some people, the mast cells get set off much more easily than average.

Some people (not me) get prescribed niacin in order to lower triglycerides and increase HDL. But then many people refuse to take it, because they can't stand the niacin flush. So they get told to take aspirin to reduce the flush. But that doesn't work so well, not nearly as well as quercetin does to abolish the flush. Anybody can try it, the difference is amazing.There's even an M.D. researcher named Theo Theoharides who has a paper out on it, but still most doctors don't know about it yet. 500mg is enough.

How quercetin might work on any one persons allergies is a different matter. As I remember, quercetin mainly comes from citrus, or from onions (but not white ones) - but it's also in many other foods in smaller amounts. There is also a paper which says that quercetin works better as a mast cell stabilizer than any of the prescription drugs that are used for the same purpose.

*Niacin as lipid therapy might be on the way out, but probably will be back one day...

OP
S

Swandattur

Yes, It would nice if there were more studies on transdermal absorption. What if just washing your hair in shampoo were making a big difference in how you felt and your health?

I am trying to find less likely to be harmful substances for hair washing. I had some cornstarch sitting in the kitchen cabinet that I am no longer using for cooking and decided to try that for hair washing for the heck of it. Actually, it did pretty well. My hair has stayed cleaner longer. I mixed a small amount of baking soda in it. It was hard to get it wet enough without having it dissolve. Maybe cooking it first would be better. I read on a gardening site that corn meal could get rid of fungus on the feet. I don't know if that works, but I have tried corn meal on this grass fungus that starts in a circle that expands. It worked for that. Ithink that is a common usage. Cornstarch may not be the best food, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt on the skin or scalp.

The study on Epsom salts is interesting.

OP
S

Swandattur

Well, I have a tendency to have allergic reactions. So maybe quercetin is something I should try.

Kray

Swandattur said:
Well, I have a tendency to have allergic reactions. So maybe quercetin is something I should try.

Did you ever try the quercetin or find out more about its estrogenic status? I'm interested in taking a bromelain/quercetin supplement to deal with skin rash. Thanks-

paper_clips43

I have been taking quarcetin and bromelain several times daily for the past two weeks.
Not sure if I have benefited directly form there supplementation although seem to be good measures taken for increasing health and digestion.

Filip1993

paper_clips43 said:
I have been taking quarcetin and bromelain several times daily for the past two weeks.
Not sure if I have benefited directly form there supplementation although seem to be good measures taken for increasing health and digestion.

"Hydroxylated flavones—apigenin, chrysin, and quercetin—inhibit the final rate-limiting step in cortisol synthesis, cytochrome P450 1B1.3 However, quercetin is known to induce the aromatase enzyme, while apigenin, as well as naringenin, inhibit the aromatase enzyme"- Andrew Kim

accelerator

That website is recommending lactic acid for the skin, I would not trust it.

However, I agree that just because something is natural, doesn't mean it appropriate for every situation.

Baking soda is very beneficial for me as it supplies co2 to the skin and I breathe better after using it. I still need to rinse it off with ACV or the leftover sodium itches. For poison ivy, applying it as a paste is soothing and stops the irritation and makes the rash go down and disappear. Bug bites too. It provides what my body needs.

I have a friend who does not use baking soda at all, but just uses diluted ACV. For washing, rinsing and deodorant. The ACV provides what her body needs.

For poison ivy, can it be used in place of a steroid cream? What dilution do you use, and how long does it take to treat the rash that way?

Hgreen56

how in earth you make soap from baking soda?

you throw some powder on your body? lol
1620222117926.jpeg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals