Too Much Aspirin At Once: Massive Shedding

ddjd

just because it sheds it doesnt necessarily mean its bad for hair. it may grow back stronger thanks to the aspirin

DaveFoster

Dave ,on a less related note, do you think glycine or gelatin could be excitotoxic? I have been thinking lately that I may be taking too much because sometimes I feel a bit "out of it".
Glycine supplements have impurities and some people have allergies to gelatin. How much are you taking?

sladerunner69

Glycine supplements have impurities and some people have allergies to gelatin. How much are you taking?

Do all glycine supplements have impurities? I take one scoop of gelatin with my coffee in the morning and a couple grams of glycine before bed, and additional glycine or gelatin when I consume meat.

DaveFoster

Do all glycine supplements have impurities? I take one scoop of gelatin with my coffee in the morning and a couple grams of glycine before bed, and additional glycine or gelatin when I consume meat.
All supplements have some impurities. Glycine inhibits excitotoxicity, which can cause drowsiness, but gelatin shouldn't cause any problem. If you take glycine with protein it will reduce the drug-like effect.

sladerunner69

All supplements have some impurities. Glycine inhibits excitotoxicity, which can cause drowsiness, but gelatin shouldn't cause any problem. If you take glycine with protein it will reduce the drug-like effect.

Well there are different qualities of supplements. If mine says there are no impurities on a millionth scale than the impurities in my product may be too small to bear any kind of significant detrimental effect to taking it. I think you are right about taking it with protein, that results in a more natural feeling.

DaveFoster

Well there are different qualities of supplements. If mine says there are no impurities on a millionth scale than the impurities in my product may be too small to bear any kind of significant detrimental effect to taking it. I think you are right about taking it with protein, that results in a more natural feeling.
I experienced a mild allergic reaction from a glycine supplement, but after a while I didn't notice.

sladerunner69

I experienced a mild allergic reaction from a glycine supplement, but after a while I didn't notice.
Interesting. On a side note, I was wondering what your experience has been with bright light. Do you use incandescent "heat" lamps? Someone just claimed that these heat lamps can be very damaging to the eyes. Do you think heat can harm the eyes? My eyes have had a persistent soreness for a long time now, and I think it is probably due to the two incandescent bulbs I use above my head, though I continue to use them regardless. I do not stare directly into them, but they are only 3-4 feet away from my head.

DaveFoster

Interesting. On a side note, I was wondering what your experience has been with bright light. Do you use incandescent "heat" lamps? Someone just claimed that these heat lamps can be very damaging to the eyes. Do you think heat can harm the eyes? My eyes have had a persistent soreness for a long time now, and I think it is probably due to the two incandescent bulbs I use above my head, though I continue to use them regardless. I do not stare directly into them, but they are only 3-4 feet away from my head.
Try keeping them at a further distance and seeing if the eye soreness goes away. Any light can damage the eye if shined too close or at too great an intensity. The heat itself can be problematic, as can looking directly into the lamp.

D

Deleted member 5487

What is the final consensus on aspirin and hairloss?

I have niacin amide and aspirin seem to weaken my hair.

Luckytype

What is the final consensus on aspirin and hairloss?

I have niacin amide and aspirin seem to weaken my hair.

Based on this thread: 1.5 grams probably isnt a good idea. Otherwise its like personal differences that will affect outcomes considering the relationships between aspirin and pgd and pge

D

Deleted member 5487

Lipoxygenase is involved in prostate cancer and probably hair loss because it shares many mechanisms.

Arachidonic acid goes in two pathways, COX and lipoxygenase. When aspirin blocks the COX pathway (it only blocks this one) the arachidonic acid is diverted to the lipoxygenase pathway, so that 5-lipoxygenase and 15-lipoxygenase are increased. I think this is the most probable explanation, and lipoxygenase is very bad stuff for health overall.

See here, aspirin increases 5-lipoxygenase
Effect of the 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor ZD2138 on aspirin-induced asthma. - PubMed - NCBI

Once, I asked Peat about "safe" lipoxygenase inhibitors. He told me "Emodin, nordihydroguaiaretic acid, caffeic acid and baicalein" . I haven't really experimented with those (except emodin a bit) but for each of them I could find studies that made them undesirable. I think one of its most potent inhibitors is simply omega-3 intake because it blocks arachidonic acid before it goes to either pathway, contrarily to aspirin. Vitamin E would work in the same way.

New aspects of the inhibition of soybean lipoxygenase by alpha-tocopherol. Evidence for the existence of a specific complex. - PubMed - NCBI

Vit K also effective
Vitamin K prevents oxidative cell death by inhibiting activation of 12-lipoxygenase in developing oligodendrocytes. - PubMed - NCBI

Btw I've had a similar experience, finding my hair quality to decrease when I used aspirin daily. I think in doses of 100mg it can be beneficial for hair loss because it has anti-cancer mechanisms independent of COX inhibition and at this dose it would not inhibit COX very much hence not creating the lipoxygenase problem.

So aspirin
Based on this thread: 1.5 grams probably isnt a good idea. Otherwise its like personal differences that will affect outcomes considering the relationships between aspirin and pgd and pge

I generally take like 1/2 a full aspirn so like 180mg

But like you said in the thread earlier the tenogan phase hair or whatever they are called seem to fall out when I take aspirin/naicinamide

. I lost like 20 right on my widows peak-(the thin small ones). The strong hairs are still there. But I have an itch right where they were

Luckytype

So aspirin

I generally take like 1/2 a full aspirn so like 180mg

But like you said in the thread earlier the tenogan phase hair or whatever they are called seem to fall out when I take aspirin/naicinamide

. I lost like 20 right on my widows peak-(the thin small ones). The strong hairs are still there. But I have an itch right where they were

Do you feel the same with a 81mg dose?

How long does it take to get that itch

D

Deleted member 5487

Do you feel the same with a 81mg dose?

How long does it take to get that itch

I had some more dates after breakfast, and it receded.

Like you said the uncoupling may be much stronger than people realize. So the itch could be a stress response.

I will lower the dose tomorrow to 81mg

Luckytype

I had some more dates after breakfast, and it receded.

Like you said the uncoupling may be much stronger than people realize. So the itch could be a stress response.

I will lower the dose tomorrow to 81mg
Nice. Good observations. See if you can repeat the same thing one day as well to help confirm

dreamcatcher

So I just took 1,5 g aspirin with coffee pretty much all at once. Reckless, I guess.

500 mg and a cup of coffee makes me feel pretty good, but it's a brief effect. So call it an "experiment".

At worst, I thought, I would feel a little off.

What actually happened is that I'm shedding like never before at the crown. My hair loss has been pretty much in control for years now, a little shedding in the front and crown, but very little and slow.

Right now, though, I'm getting handfuls every time I gently pull the hair over my crown. Four or five hairs each time. I have counted dozens of lost hairs already.

This must stop. Any tips?
I'm sorry to hear that you're losing hair. Aspirin made me shed as well so I stopped using it. It took a couple of weeks for the hair loss to stop after I discontinued aspirin. I only took up to 325mg per day though. But even worse is when I ate a huge amount of PUFA for a few weeks after keeping my intake low in the last 5 years. How stupid is that. And now I have massive shedding since the last 2 months. I don't recommend anyone to mess with PUFAs.

Luckytype

I'm sorry to hear that you're losing hair. Aspirin made me shed as well so I stopped using it. It took a couple of weeks for the hair loss to stop after I discontinued aspirin. I only took up to 325mg per day though. But even worse is when I ate a huge amount of PUFA for a few weeks after keeping my intake low in the last 5 years. How stupid is that. And now I have massive shedding since the last 2 months. I don't recommend anyone to mess with PUFAs.

@Rosie, thats crazy that it affects you like that. What are some of the principle issues youre working on, if youre comfortable sharing.

PUFA is so dangerous in huge amounts

MrSmart

Lipoxygenase is involved in prostate cancer and probably hair loss because it shares many mechanisms.

Arachidonic acid goes in two pathways, COX and lipoxygenase. When aspirin blocks the COX pathway (it only blocks this one) the arachidonic acid is diverted to the lipoxygenase pathway, so that 5-lipoxygenase and 15-lipoxygenase are increased. I think this is the most probable explanation, and lipoxygenase is very bad stuff for health overall.

See here, aspirin increases 5-lipoxygenase
Effect of the 5-lipoxygenase inhibitor ZD2138 on aspirin-induced asthma. - PubMed - NCBI

Once, I asked Peat about "safe" lipoxygenase inhibitors. He told me "Emodin, nordihydroguaiaretic acid, caffeic acid and baicalein" . I haven't really experimented with those (except emodin a bit) but for each of them I could find studies that made them undesirable. I think one of its most potent inhibitors is simply omega-3 intake because it blocks arachidonic acid before it goes to either pathway, contrarily to aspirin. Vitamin E would work in the same way.

New aspects of the inhibition of soybean lipoxygenase by alpha-tocopherol. Evidence for the existence of a specific complex. - PubMed - NCBI

Vit K also effective
Vitamin K prevents oxidative cell death by inhibiting activation of 12-lipoxygenase in developing oligodendrocytes. - PubMed - NCBI

Btw I've had a similar experience, finding my hair quality to decrease when I used aspirin daily. I think in doses of 100mg it can be beneficial for hair loss because it has anti-cancer mechanisms independent of COX inhibition and at this dose it would not inhibit COX very much hence not creating the lipoxygenase problem.

Aspirin inhibits lipoxygenase catalyzed AA peroxidation with the same IC50 as COX-2 through iron chelating mechanisms at the enzymatic site.

Not only that, but hair cycles are controlled primarily through prostaglandins, not leukotrienes.

D

Deleted member 5487

Aspirin inhibits lipoxygenase catalyzed AA peroxidation with the same IC50 as COX-2 through iron chelating mechanisms at the enzymatic site.

Not only that, but hair cycles are controlled primarily through prostaglandins, not leukotrienes.

So aspirin cannot effect hair cycles? Or does blocking the prostglandins production tell telogen hairs to fall out?

MrSmart

So aspirin cannot effect hair cycles? Or does blocking the prostglandins production tell telogen hairs to fall out?

Of course it can, PGE and PGD families play a big role in controlling the hair cycle. This could be reduced through more intermittent aspirin dosing in my opinion. The good news is, hair that falls out will regrow.

D

Deleted member 5487

Intresting,
Of course it can, PGE and PGD families play a big role in controlling the hair cycle. This could be reduced through more intermittent aspirin dosing in my opinion. The good news is, hair that falls out will regrow.

Intresting,

Thank you for your input

How does niacinamide effect hairloss? I have seen several threads on the subject here on the fourms.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals