Too Much Ashwagandha, Now Serotonin Syndrome? Please Help

edd00

Hey guys, I made an account here specifically to get some help with this question.

I wanted to take ashwagandha for anti anxiety purposes. I ended up taking ashwagandha and rhodiola for about 1 month. The thing is I was taking A LOT of them both. I took about 1.5 tablespoons of powdered ashwagandha (not standardized) and about (1/4 tsp of rhodiola powder (standardized)

I noticed that I felt really relaxed. Meditation was better than ever and I felt strong at the gym. Sometimes though I would feel like not bothering at all( I just stopped keeping up with online dating even, not that I was getting much action anyways lol)

The most troubling was my anhedonic orgasm. I try to do no fap but I got sidetracked and when I came it felt no where near half as good as usual.

I posted on a different site (I will not name it) and I didn't get much help. Apparently you cant say anything bad about ashwagandha.

Anyways, I hope I didnt screw myself up. I've since stopped taking the ashwagandha and rhodiola. I haven't ejaculated since and I am wondering if I can take anything or do anything to get me back to normal. I have heard good things about shilajit, and vitamin B1 (thiamin HCL)

Can I recover from this? Have I screwed up my neurotransmitters or upregualted/downregualted some vital receptors or enzymes?

Thank you all for reading this.

InChristAlone

Hey guys, I made an account here specifically to get some help with this question.

I wanted to take ashwagandha for anti anxiety purposes. I ended up taking ashwagandha and rhodiola for about 1 month. The thing is I was taking A LOT of them both. I took about 1.5 tablespoons of powdered ashwagandha (not standardized) and about (1/4 tsp of rhodiola powder (standardized)

I noticed that I felt really relaxed. Meditation was better than ever and I felt strong at the gym. Sometimes though I would feel like not bothering at all( I just stopped keeping up with online dating even, not that I was getting much action anyways lol)

The most troubling was my anhedonic orgasm. I try to do no fap but I got sidetracked and when I came it felt no where near half as good as usual.

I posted on a different site (I will not name it) and I didn't get much help. Apparently you cant say anything bad about ashwagandha.

Anyways, I hope I didnt screw myself up. I've since stopped taking the ashwagandha and rhodiola. I haven't ejaculated since and I am wondering if I can take anything or do anything to get me back to normal. I have heard good things about shilajit, and vitamin B1 (thiamin HCL)

Can I recover from this? Have I screwed up my neurotransmitters or upregualted/downregualted some vital receptors or enzymes?

Did you have any other symptoms? Serotonin syndrome has a pretty well defined symptom list, did you have any of those symptoms?

I am glad you stopped taking it, niacinamide can help bring back good orgasms. I experienced difficulty with orgasms when I was on an antidepressant. It's a well known side effect. And a terrible one at that!

OP
E

edd00

Did you have any other symptoms? Serotonin syndrome has a pretty well defined symptom list, did you have any of those symptoms?

I am glad you stopped taking it, niacinamide can help bring back good orgasms. I experienced difficulty with orgasms when I was on an antidepressant. It's a well known side effect. And a terrible one at that!
I think I had diarrhea also sometimes. But I cant say what else for sure. Maybe I didn't have really severe serotonin syndrome but my serotonin levels were definitely elevated.

Also thanks for the tip about niacinamide!

Frankdee20

Ashwaganda has clear linkage to the 5ht1a and 2a receptors. I forget exactly what it does on the 1A, but that’s an Auto receptor for Serotonin. Rhodiola is also linked to Serotonin, but I find data saying it blocks the reuptake of it. I don’t know how strongly Serotonergic Rhodiola is, but theoretically, it’s possible to over do it. Especially if you say you were taking a lot. Try Cyproheptadine to block Serotonin, idk.

OP
E

edd00

Ashwaganda has clear linkage to the 5ht1a and 2a receptors. I forget exactly what it does on the 1A, but that’s an Auto receptor for Serotonin. Rhodiola is also linked to Serotonin, but I find data saying it blocks the reuptake of it. I don’t know how strongly Serotonergic Rhodiola is, but theoretically, it’s possible to over do it. Especially if you say you were taking a lot. Try Cyproheptadine to block Serotonin, idk.
I see thanks for clearing that up!

At this point I am kind of worried and I'd like to not try a medication right away. But say if I did decide to take it, would I have to take for the rest of my life? Or would a cycle or two regualte my receptors and neurotransmitters to the way they should be?

Serotonin syndrome is overrated.
When you experience serious serotonin syndrome, someone has to take you to the hospital immediately. So, no you dont have that.
-How long have you stopped taking them? you have to quit at least one month for your brain to get back in balance.
-rhodiola has an inverse bell curve, so the more you take, the less effect. edit I mean bell curve
-ashwagandha can have effects on ejaculation time. It reduces 5-HT1A serotonin signaling involved in ejacs and arousal.

Better stop using the ashwagandha but continue the rhodiola for a month, coz that has enhancing effects on oxytocin, which is released with orgasms. And it upregulates 5-HT1A receptors, so it should negate the effects from the ashwaganhda.

Last edited:
OP
E

edd00

When you experience serious serotonin syndrome, someone has to take you to the hospital immediately. So, no you dont have that.
-How long have you stopped taking them? you have to quit at least one month for your brain to get back in balance.
-rhodiola has an inverse bell curve, so the more you take, the less effect.
-ashwagandha can have effects on ejaculation time. It reduces 5-HT1A serotonin signaling involved in ejacs and arousal.

Better stop using the ashwagandha but continue the rhodiola for a month, coz that has enhancing effects on oxytocin, which is released with orgasms. And it upregulates 5-HT1A receptors, so it should negate the effects from the ashwaganhda.
I stopped taking it 2 days ago.

And thank you so much for this insightful response! I really appreciate it! :)

How much of the rhodiola should I take, as much as before? OK JUST SAW YOU POST ABOUT RHODIOLA DOSAGE THANK YOU! (EDIT)

I have been researching like mad the past 2 hours so far I have come up with. Can any of these help my brain re balance itself?
-Collagen
-Shilajit
-Niacinimide
-Thiamine HCL
-Aspirin

Do you recommend anything else?

Also how exactly does my brain re balance itself? Have I upregulated or downregualted something that I have to repair now?

Frankdee20

-rhodiola has an inverse bell curve, so the more you take, the less effect.

Interesting, so each of these interacts with 1A, albeit differently. Theoretically, can one of these two be useful for delaying ejaculation ?

aguilaroja

...I ended up taking ashwagandha and rhodiola for about 1 month. The thing is I was taking A LOT of them both.
...The most troubling was my anhedonic orgasm. I try to do no fap but I got sidetracked and when I came it felt no where near half as good as usual.
...Can I recover from this? Have I screwed up my neurotransmitters or upregualted/downregualted some vital receptors or enzymes?
Many measures for reducing excess serotonin can be found by searching this forum or Dr. Peat’s site, including this article:
Serotonin: Effects in disease, aging and inflammation

Large residues of serotonin are in the gut. Simple/safe/cheap Peat-style maneuvers like taking raw carrot (grated)or bamboo shoots or (for their fiber)well-cooked mushrooms, for reducing endotoxic gut burdens, may help quickly.

As @Janelle525 notes, the description differs from more extreme serotonin syndrome states. It may correspond to adverse serotonin effects. Both these agents have multiples pathways for untoward actions in addition to possible serotonin boosting. For instance, Rhoidiola can act as a “selective estrogen receptor modulator”
Pause menopause with Rhodiola rosea, a natural selective estrogen receptor modulator. - PubMed - NCBI
and Ashwaganda may boost Gonadotropin Releasing Hormore (GnRH) action
Withania somnifera aqueous extract facilitates the expression and release of GnRH: In vitro and in vivo study. - PubMed - NCBI

Years ago, I experimented with considerable amounts of these substances, with less benefit and more side effects than reported here. The effect washed out pretty quickly, within a few days.

Effects always depend on context. It might be useful to explore this forum or Dr. Peat’s site & books for general suggestions on how to boost resiliency. While there is life, there is hope and, even more, open possibility.
-
“In this newer view, high serotonin production causes behavioral inhibition and harm avoidance, which are traits of the authoritarian personality, while anti-authoritarians tend to have "novelty seeking" personalities, with high dopamine and low serotonin functions.”

I stopped taking it 2 days ago.

And thank you so much for this insightful response! I really appreciate it! :)

How much of the rhodiola should I take, as much as before? OK JUST SAW YOU POST ABOUT RHODIOLA DOSAGE THANK YOU! (EDIT)

I have been researching like mad the past 2 hours so far I have come up with. Can any of these help my brain re balance itself?
-Collagen
-Shilajit
-Niacinimide
-Thiamine HCL
-Aspirin

Do you recommend anything else?

Also how exactly does my brain re balance itself? Have I upregulated or downregualted something that I have to repair now?
collagen has little effect on brain.
shilajit can decrease serotonin activity by antagonism, but is unclear on which receptors it has effects. I would not recommend it.
niacinamide and thiamine can help generally clear serotonin out of the brain, in case of anxiety or high serotonin symptoms.

It is possible that aswagandha had downregulated 5ht1, but not yet permanently after just one month of use, it takes a few months. So probably after 6 weeks this should be back to normal.

OP
E

edd00

Many measures for reducing excess serotonin can be found by searching this forum or Dr. Peat’s site, including this article:

Large residues of serotonin are in the gut. Simple/safe/cheap Peat-style maneuvers like taking raw carrot (grated)or bamboo shoots or (for their fiber)well-cooked mushrooms, for reducing endotoxic gut burdens, may help quickly.

As @Janelle525 notes, the description differs from more extreme serotonin syndrome states. It may correspond to adverse serotonin effects. Both these agents have multiples pathways for untoward actions in addition to possible serotonin boosting. For instance, Rhoidiola can act as a “selective estrogen receptor modulator”
Pause menopause with Rhodiola rosea, a natural selective estrogen receptor modulator. - PubMed - NCBI
and Ashwaganda may boost Gonadotropin Releasing Hormore (GnRH) action
Withania somnifera aqueous extract facilitates the expression and release of GnRH: In vitro and in vivo study. - PubMed - NCBI

Years ago, I experimented with considerable amounts of these substances, with less benefit and more side effects than reported here. The effect washed out pretty quickly, within a few days.

Effects always depend on context. It might be useful to explore this forum or Dr. Peat’s site & books for general suggestions on how to boost resiliency. While there is life, there is hope and, even more, open possibility.
-
“In this newer view, high serotonin production causes behavioral inhibition and harm avoidance, which are traits of the authoritarian personality, while anti-authoritarians tend to have "novelty seeking" personalities, with high dopamine and low serotonin functions.”
Thank you so much for this awesome information! I am blown away at how much you all know and humbled by how you are all trying to help!
I love carrots actually just bought a bag of baby carrots. Do I have to shred them?

Also do you agree that I should continue with Rhodiola for a month?

OP
E

edd00

collagen has little effect on brain.
shilajit can decrease serotonin activity by antagonism, but is unclear on which receptors it has effects. I would not recommend it.
niacinamide and thiamine can help generally clear serotonin out of the brain, in case of anxiety or high serotonin symptoms.

It is possible that aswagandha had downregulated 5ht1, but not yet permanently after just one month of use, it takes a few months. So probably after 6 weeks this should be back to normal.
Well I already ordered the shilajit in excitement, I guess I'll just keep it on the shelf, I know its good for broken bones lol.

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I am super thankful to have come across this supportive community!

It is weird, normally Rhodiola should have a quick effect on orgasm and libido after 30 minutes.
But sometimes it has different effects on different people, it is up to you to continue it or not.

OP
E

edd00

It is weird, normally Rhodiola should have a quick effect on orgasm and libido after 30 minutes.
But sometimes it has different effects on different people, it is up to you to continue it or not.
I mean I really have no frame of reference to base this decision on lol
If it can upregulate 5ht1 receptors and I downregulated those receptors with ashwaghanda then I guess I should continue to take it to regain normal 5ht1 receptor density?

Nicole W.

Hi there,

I was a long time user of Ashwagandha and one day developed severe GERD. As it turns out, Ashwagandha belongs to the nightshade family and even if you’ve never been sensitive to nightshades before, you can develop an allergy to them when exposure to nightshades (as in large amounts of Ashwagandha powder) is chronic. If you are having digestive issues along with the other stuff, I would consider an allergic reaction as a possible explanation. The symptoms of nightshade allergy symptoms and serotonin excess kinda sorta overlap. Just my 2 cents...

OP
E

edd00

Hi there,

I was a long time user of Ashwagandha and one day developed severe GERD. As it turns out, Ashwagandha belongs to the nightshade family and even if you’ve never been sensitive to nightshades before, you can develop an allergy to them when exposure to nightshades (as in large amounts of Ashwagandha powder) is chronic. If you are having digestive issues along with the other stuff, I would consider an allergic reaction as a possible explanation. The symptoms of nightshade allergy symptoms and serotonin excess kinda sorta overlap. Just my 2 cents...
well last week I had stuffed eggplants and tomatoes (Mama's home cooking) and I was totally fine. No GERD. But that is an interesting aspect I did not consider, maybe I might be mildly allergic? I read that they do cause inflammation in many people anyways, perhaps best to just avoid it for now. That's too bad because I put ketchup on everything lol . Thanks for the tip!

I mean I really have no frame of reference to base this decision on lol
If it can upregulate 5ht1 receptors and I downregulated those receptors with ashwaghanda then I guess I should continue to take it to regain normal 5ht1 receptor density?
Theoretical yes, but if you want safest action, quit both for a few months. You could always reintroduce the Rhodiola later.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals