too broken to fix

Im in a very bad situation mentally/physically(im in a real f***ing mess) i cant figure out how to deal with my situation or if there even is a way to deal with it. Im thinking about emailing ray peat but its complicated i would have to go into a fair bit of detail about things, i hav no money to give him for his time .im sure he gest a lot of emails i don’t want to burden him with my problems i dunno if its a good idea or not? I dunno wat else to do, i find it very hard to talk to ppl even on forums, cos i feel really isolated/hopeless. Would it be rude if i send him an email explain my situation and asked him for his opinion. I have been trying to deal with something that happened to me 3 ½ years ago i don’t know how to deal with it anymore nothing i do works............... :cry:

kiran

Welcome! Since you're here, you might as well ask us to see if we can get the obvious answers out of the way!

Also, Ray is really good about responding to emails asking for help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
the nobody, welcome to the forum. :welcome

Like kiran said let us know whats going on and then people with experience can chime in.

OP
T
hello Kiran, Charlie :)

i will try and explain but i dont think anyone can help :cry: its complicated.............3 1/2 years ago i did a water fast during the fast i aslo did a salt water flush and something realy bad happened to my body my whole body swelled up, my face everything literally from head to toe(its not edema) my body has been stuck like this for the whole time and other weird things happened to my skin tone/weird changes that accompanied the swelling i could go into it but it takes me ages to describe all the weird stuff that happened , i have probably been hypothyroid since i was 8, which i only realized when i found ray peats work 7 months ago. Im trying to follow as many of his recommendations as i can afford, but my depression is getting really bad i can barely get out of bed i cant stop crying,i have to force myself to eat :( i dont know wat to do

J

j.

One thing that is usually easy to digest and tends to be helpful is gelatin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Have you tried to start on thyroid supplementing?

Please email Ray Peat. See what he says and go from there. That's what I would do if you were me.

4peatssake

the_nobody_2know said:
Im in a very bad situation mentally/physically(im in a real f***ing mess) i cant figure out how to deal with my situation or if there even is a way to deal with it. Im thinking about emailing ray peat but its complicated i would have to go into a fair bit of detail about things, i hav no money to give him for his time .im sure he gest a lot of emails i don’t want to burden him with my problems i dunno if its a good idea or not? I dunno wat else to do, i find it very hard to talk to ppl even on forums, cos i feel really isolated/hopeless. Would it be rude if i send him an email explain my situation and asked him for his opinion. I have been trying to deal with something that happened to me 3 ½ years ago i don’t know how to deal with it anymore nothing i do works............... :cry:

:welcome2 to the forum.

Hang in there. Stick with us and with RP and we'll do everything we can to help.
There are some really, really great and knowledgeable people here and Ray is very accessible.

Use this form to contact him http://raypeat.com/contact.shtml

Many people here have or have had some pretty serious health problems and are being helped by RP.
I think j's advice to add gelatin is a good one, especially if you are not getting enough protein.

Also, eating small frequent meals is helpful when eating is tough.

Can you tolerate, milk and orange juice? Give us an idea of what you are eating now and we can begin to help you with that.

Make sure to eliminate PUFAs, that is really important.

So glad you are here!

OP
T
I eliminated all pufas and most starches 7 months ago actually probably longer, i occasionally have potato (although i think the damage is well and truly done, its like when the truth mattered i didnt know it and now its too late? i know what to do)

i also started having coffee everyday and cocoa powder and 2 litres semi-skimmed milk in the beginning i had lots of fresh orange juice and eggs, but lately i just been having store bought orange juice

2 months ago i added progest-e, 8 aspirins ,vitamin K,D,A and i have liver twice a month
The great lakes gelatine is really expensive which is why i don’t use it, i used to have the the now foods but i dont like it.........now i only have it when i eat liver or meat

Charlie..........i was planning on starting with 1/8 dose of cynoplus in a few days im just waiting till i feel a bit better

I have pretty much been depressed all my life but its gotten really bad recently i feel like im dying i don’t understand wat im doing wrong

OP
T
is the now foods gelatin ok, i mean is it better to use it than not using any Gelatin?

if i email ray is it ok if i explain the situation to him properly or should i keep it short? evrytime i hav tried to explain to someone what happened they think i got edema when most ppl hear salt, swelling they think water retention and they stop listening to me.....but i know ray says salt gets rid of excess water so he wud probably not think that

Swandattur

I can't help much in a practical way, but I just wanted to say that I feel lots of sympathy for you with the depression. It makes it hard to function and have hope. It sounds like you really should email Peat. It seems to me you should cover any details you think are important, tell him the whole story. Then he can sort out what is important. Make it as clear as you can. You are just as important as anyone. Ask for help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Swandattur said:
I can't help much in a practical way, but I just wanted to say that I feel lots of sympathy for you with the depression. It makes it hard to function and have hope. It sounds like you really should email Peat. It seems to me you should cover any details you think are important, tell him the whole story. Then he can sort out what is important. Make it as clear as you can. You are just as important as anyone. Ask for help.

:1

cbar09

Just to add, in the few people I have known seeking help with depression, pregnenolone has been a very useful tool. Ray Peat always mentions that it is a safe supplement to add - hardly any side effects other than possible lowering of blood sugar (so just take with a meal).

Beyond a century sells it for $20 and that will probably last for several months to a year if taken daily: http://www.beyond-a-century.com/Pregnen ... p_600.html

And red light therapy might be another thing to look into:

lamp: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061M ... UTF8&psc=1
light: http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/bulbri ... 0br40h.asp

Both are relatively cheap.

You've clearly done some research and have tried following peat's dietary advice for a while, so I think it would be acceptable to email him about your circumstances.

Good luck!

narouz

the_nobody_2know said:
hello Kiran, Charlie :)

i will try and explain but i dont think anyone can help :cry: its complicated.............3 1/2 years ago i did a water fast during the fast i aslo did a salt water flush and something realy bad happened to my body my whole body swelled up, my face everything literally from head to toe(its not edema) my body has been stuck like this for the whole time and other weird things happened to my skin tone/weird changes that accompanied the swelling i could go into it but it takes me ages to describe all the weird stuff that happened , i have probably been hypothyroid since i was 8, which i only realized when i found ray peats work 7 months ago. Im trying to follow as many of his recommendations as i can afford, but my depression is getting really bad i can barely get out of bed i cant stop crying,i have to force myself to eat :( i dont know wat to do

Welcome, nobody2!
I would try emailing Peat.

Not prying, but the things I'd like to hear more about
might be useful to Dr. P as well.
I may've missed some things earlier, so apologies if you've already given the info:

1. more detail about that fast and salt flush
2. male or female?
3. what was your diet/health/meds like before?
4. age?
5. any lab work or any doctors' diagnoses?
6. height/weight?

Hang in there. :)

OP
T
Swandattur said:

:) that means a lot to me thank you, everyone around me treats me like im nothing, they think im on self-destruct, to pathetic to pull myself together so i don’t deserve any help, i made a lot of stupid mistakes but i just wanted to be healthy and for my life to be more than a living hell. i think i will email him when i feel a bit better

char09........I have some of the beyond a century pregnenolone and i hav another liquid one too, i usually take it when i feel like im gonna have a bad day, maybe i should take it evryday? i just ddint feel like it made that much of a difference maybe i need a bigger dose? i read some ppl talking about it giving them acne or turning into a stress hormone so i wasn’t sure about using it.

OP
T
narouz said:
Welcome, nobody2!
I would try emailing Peat.

Not prying, but the things I'd like to hear more about
might be useful to Dr. P as well.
I may've missed some things earlier, so apologies if you've already given the info:

1. more detail about that fast and salt flush
2. male or female?
3. what was your diet/health/meds like before?
4. age?
5. any lab work or any doctors' diagnoses?
6. height/weight?

thnx narouz i will as soon as i feel a bit betta

1. it was the stupidest thing any person could ever do! i was really depressed/suicidal i stopped eating. i don’t know but i think at the time i thought it would heal me i was reading a lot of fasting propaganda and i thought hey if its true this could make things better or if not maybe il get lucky and die :lol: turns out things are never quite that black and white? i don’t exactly remember for how long i did it 10-14 days just drinking water. oh yea and it gets better i also was running on my treadmill during this! :oops: the salt water was to flush out the intestines i did it for 3 days the third time it never mad me go to the toilet were as the previous 2 days it did i didn’t think anything of it then a few hours later in the shower i noticed my body had changed. i thought hmm strange! must be water weight? im sure it will be fine once i start eating again.

i didn’t realize the severity of the situation till i started eating again noticed my face had changed my jaw line disappeared my skin was odd texture/colour. My weight didn’t match my appearance i was severely underweight cos of the fast but i didn’t look it. I went from always being cold to always feeling warm but being unable to sweat were as before i wud sweat tons, everything felt odd the smallest task like brushing my teeth were impossible i felt stuck and like i was trying to swim upstream and it was too much effort, talking was hard sometimes not cos i couldn’t but becasue it felt like it required a lot of effort, i couldn’t run or do yoga anything that put pressure on my body made it worse weird things happened to my ears, pressure build up like my ear needed to pop but couldn't, if it popped sometimes i would hear a pulse in my ear and my face would go down i would look a bit like i used to but sometimes just moving to quick or in the wrong way would distort it again

it sounds like something happened to my thyroid? But those symptoms are so weird i have never come across anyone describing anything like this ?i have no idea how the salt plays into it or why it triggered it? i don’t know if i can trust my pulse/temps they seem inconsistent, linked to how bad the swelling is, when it goes down my pulse speeds up im not sure whether my temps go down or up i think it varys

2.female

3. 27

4.TERRIBLE............i tried to be healthy :lol: by being vegetarian staying away from milk (i couldn’t tolerate it),i never had any sugar cos i thought it was :twisted: i would run loads! Everyday! cos i was paranoid about bein fat i would yoyo from being underweight to being overweight ,i had a lot of mental health problems including depression i was an owel slept during day stayed up at night, they put me on the pill when i was 16 cos i had acne that’s when the s*** hit the fan and everything started to fall apart my health was already very bad by the time i was 16 due to many reasons :cry: but it just went downhill from there

5.i will never go to the doctor again so no blood work or diagnosis

6.i don’t know i try not to think about my weight(and its hard to tell with my body swollen all over i wear bagy clothes went from running 1 hour everyday doing yoga controlling my calories to pretty much not being able to do anything so i cant imagine its good :(

Attachments

• Kaster Caffeine acts through neuronal adenosine PNAS-2015.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • Plattner ventral striatal 2015.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Yin Yong-Qin 2015 caffeine resil social defeat stress.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 43

narouz

nobody2-

Well, you're young, so that's in your favor.
Try not to feel so doomed--that you're "too broken to fix."
I bet you can.
I might just take a little time.
You seem to be learning what Peat says is a good diet,
so that's great
Just try to put one foot in front of the other with eating good Peat foods.
And try to get some Red Light.
Read around on this forum--search for threads about Red Light.
Peat really thinks that's crucial.
The easiest thing might be to shine some bright, incandescent lights on your for a while everyday.
Try to make sure you're getting plenty of good sugars and proteins everyday.

I think with all you've been through you likely have some thyroid problems.
IMO you need to explore this seriously.
Best way to do that is by tracking your daily temperatures and pulse rates.
Do that for a week or two and tell us what you find.
That should tell you a lot about your thyroid health.

SheilaHelm1

I'm sorry to hear your feeling so down on yourself, everybody always thinks us hypos feel sorry for ourselves because even doctors think there is nothing wrong with us so we look like we are moping....
Everyone on this forum has felt pretty bad at times in their life so we hear ya. xx

Anyhow, regarding your swellling, have you ever heard of 'mucin', it is a symptom with hypothyroidism or a form of it called myxedema (i have it). I have pasted a section below from the tuberose site that explains it well, I think, but read the whole thing from this link http://www.tuberose.com/HypothyroidSymptoms.html . Dr Broda Barnes writes of it too, anyway see what you think x

Myxedema

In 1878, Dr. William Ord performed an autopsy on a middle-aged woman who succumbed to hypothyroidism. Upon cutting into her skin, he saw tissues that were thickened and boggy. The tissues appeared to be waterlogged, but no water seeped from his incisions. Dr. Ord realized this disease was unique and previously unrecognized.

Dr. Ord summoned a leading chemist named Halleburton to help identify the substance causing the swelling. What they found was an abnormally large accumulation of mucin. Mucin is a normal constituent of our tissues. It is a jelly-like material that spontaneously accumulates in hypothyroidism. Mucin grabs onto water and causes swelling. Dr. Halleburton found 50 times the normal amount of mucin in the woman’s skin. Her other tissues also contained excess mucin.

The doctors coined the term myxedema. Myx is the Greek word for mucin and edema means swelling. Myxedema was adopted as the medical term for hypothyroidism.

The edema or swelling associated with hypothyroidism usually begins around the face, particularly above or below the eyes and along the jaw line. However, the skin on the side of the upper arms may be thickened early in the course of the disease. The swelling associated with hypothyroidism is firm and will eventually spread throughout our body’s connective tissues.

One of the many functions of connective tissue is to help hold our bodies’ organs and structures together. Connective tissue lines our blood vessels, nervous system, muscles, mucous membranes, the gut, as well as each and every cell in our glands and organs. Abnormal accumulation of mucin in these tissues causes swelling and significantly impairs normal function.

narouz

Great connection, Sheila.
Might be.
nobody2,
you say you don't want to go to doctors
and that is understandable.
But if you are hypothyroid,
and perhaps severely so,
all the Peat eating in the world will likely not have much effect
at least in the short-term, IMO.
You'd need thyroid.
There are over the counter thyroid supplements
that are definitely worth taking.
"Nutri-Meds" is one.
Again, my opinion is it probably does contain
all the T's--T3, T4, etc.
There is some debate on this,
but I think it is the raw dessicated thyroid with no T's removed.
And there are other ways to get thyroid supplement without a doctor.
Finally, you might consider breaking your rule
and trying to find a doctor who will prescribe natural, dessicated thyroid.
But, as I say, charting your temperatures several times daily, over a week or two,
and your pulses, likewise, can tell you a lot.
There's info here if you search about on how best to do that.

SheilaHelm1

Thanks Narouz, the page has connected a lot of dots for me.... Natural Desiccated Thyroid was definitely the only route that worked for me, nothing else comes close.
Nobody2, I'm not trying (nor qualified) to tell you what to do but NDT would be the first thing I would do if I were in your shoes.. Good luck with finding relief but remember to go slow...Never rush things.

OP
T
SheilaHelm1 said:
I'm sorry to hear your feeling so down on yourself, everybody always thinks us hypos feel sorry for ourselves because even doctors think there is nothing wrong with us so we look like we are moping....
Everyone on this forum has felt pretty bad at times in their life so we hear ya. xx

Anyhow, regarding your swellling, have you ever heard of 'mucin', it is a symptom with hypothyroidism or a form of it called myxedema (i have it). I have pasted a section below from the tuberose site that explains it well, I think, but read the whole thing from this link http://www.tuberose.com/HypothyroidSymptoms.html . Dr Broda Barnes writes of it too, anyway see what you think x

Myxedema

In 1878, Dr. William Ord performed an autopsy on a middle-aged woman who succumbed to hypothyroidism. Upon cutting into her skin, he saw tissues that were thickened and boggy. The tissues appeared to be waterlogged, but no water seeped from his incisions. Dr. Ord realized this disease was unique and previously unrecognized.

Dr. Ord summoned a leading chemist named Halleburton to help identify the substance causing the swelling. What they found was an abnormally large accumulation of mucin. Mucin is a normal constituent of our tissues. It is a jelly-like material that spontaneously accumulates in hypothyroidism. Mucin grabs onto water and causes swelling. Dr. Halleburton found 50 times the normal amount of mucin in the woman’s skin. Her other tissues also contained excess mucin.

The doctors coined the term myxedema. Myx is the Greek word for mucin and edema means swelling. Myxedema was adopted as the medical term for hypothyroidism.

The edema or swelling associated with hypothyroidism usually begins around the face, particularly above or below the eyes and along the jaw line. However, the skin on the side of the upper arms may be thickened early in the course of the disease. The swelling associated with hypothyroidism is firm and will eventually spread throughout our body’s connective tissues.

One of the many functions of connective tissue is to help hold our bodies’ organs and structures together. Connective tissue lines our blood vessels, nervous system, muscles, mucous membranes, the gut, as well as each and every cell in our glands and organs. Abnormal accumulation of mucin in these tissues causes swelling and significantly impairs normal function.

omg there is so much information on that site! i really hadn’t realized that there was so many different varied symptoms that linked back to hypothyroidism, like about alcoholism/addiction(i suppose that makes sense as ppl use alcohol as a crutch to deal with stress) and psychosis? i always wondered what caused severe mental health problems/addictions

its the fist time i heard of mucin and Myxedema..........i don’t know maybe? if this is what happened it must be a very severe form of it though? my skin being affected all over, i dont get how the weird stuff in my head/ears plays into it though, and when it goes down, how can mucin reduce so quickly and than appear again in a matter of minutes? hmmmmmm maybe im too muciny

i thought cynoplus was supposed to be good as well? i cudnt get any good NDT in the UK