Tongkat Ali For Hair Loss And Anti Aging?

dq139

hey guys, Ive been doing some research on this herb and it says that not only does it raise Free T DHT & DHEA but it also lowers Aromatase/E2, Prolactin & Cortisol...could this be a good herb for stopping male pattern baldness and prolonging youth in men?

theres a site called supermanherbs.com that sells a very strong tincture of Tonkat. I got my 66 year old Dad to try it with 60mgs of Zinc and a glass of OJ (because it tastes like ***t) and he said that for a short period of time he did get a libido and energy boost....at 25 I'm wary of doing cycles of it because I hear that its almost like taking pro hormone theropy and can slow or even shut down natural androgen production in the body if taken too much and not cycled properly.

Wagner83

An evidence-based systematic review of tongkat ali (Eurycoma longifolia) by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration. - PubMed - NCBI
This one looks pretty thorough.

The effect of eurycoma longifolia Jack on spermatogenesis in estrogen-treated rats. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSIONS:
EL extract acts as a potential agent for reversing the effects of estrogen by increasing spermatogenesis and sperm counts in rats after fourteen consecutive days of treatment.
The anti-osteoporotic effect of Eurycoma Longifolia in aged orchidectomised rat model. - PubMed - NCBI
Both testosterone replacement and EL supplementation to orchidectomised rats were able to maintain the bone calcium level, with the former showing better effects. As a conclusion, EL prevented bone calcium loss in orchidectomised rats and therefore has the potential to be used as an alternative treatment for androgen deficient osteoporosis.
Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) on the initiation of sexual performance of inexperienced castrated male rats. - PubMed - NCBI
...Further results also showed that E. longifolia Jack promoted the growth of both ventral prostate and seminal vesicles as compared with the control...

Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects
Properly standardized hot-water extracts [2,26,29] have a distinctly bitter taste due to the presence of quassinoids, which are recognized as some of the bitterest compounds in nature [30,31]. Tongkat ali extracts that do not taste bitter are either not true Eurycoma longifolia root (there are many commercial examples of “fake” tongkat ali extracts) or are sub-potent in terms of bioactive constituents, and thus would also be expected to have low efficacy.

(Improves digestion?)

Animal studies have shown that many of the effects of the extract are mediated by its glycoprotein components [14]. The mechanism of action of the bioactive complex polypeptides (“eurypeptides” with 36 amino acids) has been shown to activate the CYP17 enzyme (17 alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20 lyase) to enhance the metabolism of pregnenolone and progesterone to yield more DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) and androstenedione, respectively [29]. This glycoprotein water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia has been shown to deliver anti-aging and anti-stress benefits subsequent to its testosterone-balancing effects [41,42].

Hormone profile (salivary cortisol and testosterone) was significantly improved by TA supplementation, with reduced cortisol exposure (−16%, Figure 2), increased testosterone status (+37%, Figure 3) and overall improved cortisol:testosterone ratio (−36%) in the TA group compared to placebo.
Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? - PubMed - NCBI
Results show that treatment of LOH patients with this Tongkat ali extract significantly (P < 0.0001) improved the AMS score as well as the serum testosterone concentration. While before treatment only 10.5% of the patients did not show any complaint according to the AMS scale and 35.5% had normal testosterone levels, after the completed treatment 71.7% and 90.8% of the patients showed normal values, respectively. Thus, Tongkat ali extract appears to be useful as a supplement in overcoming the symptoms of LOH and for the management of hypogonadism.
Eurycomanone, the major quassinoid in Eurycoma longifolia root extract increases spermatogenesis by inhibiting the activity of phosphodiesterase an... - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSION:
Eurycomanone enhanced testosterone steroidogenesis at the Leydig cells by inhibiting aromatase conversion of testosterone to oestrogen, and at a high concentration may also involve phosphodiesterase inhibition.
Standardized quassinoid-rich Eurycoma longifolia extract improved spermatogenesis and fertility in male rats via the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal... - PubMed - NCBI
RESULTS:
The male rats orally administered with 25mg/kg of F2 and 250mg/kg of W, significantly increased the sperm concentration when compared with that of the control animals (P<0.05). High performance liquid chromatography analysis revealed that 25mg/kg of F2 and 250mg/kg of W were almost similar in concentration of eurycomanone, the major and most potent quassinoid. Microscopic morphometrical analysis of the rat testis following treatment with F2, showed significant increase in the number of spermatocytes and round spermatids at Stage VII of the spermatogenesis cycle when compared to that of the control (P<0.05). The estimated spermatozoa production rate and the number of Leydig cells were also elevated (P<0.001). The fertility index, fecundity index and the pup litter size delivered from the females after mating with the males treated with F2 were increased. The plasma testosterone level of the animals given 25mg/kg of F2 orally was significantly different at day-26 (p<0.05) and day-52 (P<0.01) from those of control but was not different at day-104. The testicular testosterone also peaked in the animals treated with 25mg/kg F2 and was higher than that in the plasma. The plasma LH and FSH levels of the rats treated with 25mg/kg of F2 were higher than those of the control (P<0.001). In contrast, the plasma estrogen level was significantly lower than that of the untreated control. Amongst the isolated quassinoids of F2, eurycomanone and 13α(21)-dihydroeurycomaone significantly increased the testosterone level from the Leydig cells of the testicular interstitial cells cultured in vitro (P<0.05).
New antiulcer quassinoids from Eurycoma longifolia - ScienceDirect

Eurycoma longifolia in Radix for the treatment of ethanol-induced gastric lesion in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Hence it is concluded that Eurycoma longifolia in Radix is as effective as ranitidine in the treatment of ethanol-induced gastric lesions in rats.

Last edited:

Wagner83

@haidut given the post above is there any chance you tried the Tongkat Ali during your paleo days? Without enough food?

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut given the post above is there any chance you tried the Tongkat Ali during your paleo days? Without enough food?

I did try it around 2009 and as I mentioned before it did not affect me well. It made me agitated and angry and gave me wild/bizarre dreams, even when taken with food.

I've been taking it for runs of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, for a couple years now. My experience has been that a tolerance builds up pretty fast, there was a definite honey moon period of a few months - now I notice some benefits from it - but not like the first few months; I'm not going to up my dose because it is expensive and also because I don't like the idea of chasing tolerances with supplements.

Wagner83

I did try it around 2009 and as I mentioned before it did not affect me well. It made me agitated and angry and gave me wild/bizarre dreams, even when taken with food.
Ok, I guess at that time thyroid would have made you feel like crap as well. Do you remember which brand you tried?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok, I guess at that time thyroid would have made you feel like crap as well. Do you remember which brand you tried?

I tried a few different brands, all with the same result. Source naturals, NOW, and vitamin shoppe's own brand.

B

Braveheart

An evidence-based systematic review of tongkat ali (Eurycoma longifolia) by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration. - PubMed - NCBI
This one looks pretty thorough.

The effect of eurycoma longifolia Jack on spermatogenesis in estrogen-treated rats. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSIONS:
EL extract acts as a potential agent for reversing the effects of estrogen by increasing spermatogenesis and sperm counts in rats after fourteen consecutive days of treatment.
The anti-osteoporotic effect of Eurycoma Longifolia in aged orchidectomised rat model. - PubMed - NCBI
Both testosterone replacement and EL supplementation to orchidectomised rats were able to maintain the bone calcium level, with the former showing better effects. As a conclusion, EL prevented bone calcium loss in orchidectomised rats and therefore has the potential to be used as an alternative treatment for androgen deficient osteoporosis.
Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) on the initiation of sexual performance of inexperienced castrated male rats. - PubMed - NCBI
...Further results also showed that E. longifolia Jack promoted the growth of both ventral prostate and seminal vesicles as compared with the control...

Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects
Properly standardized hot-water extracts [2,26,29] have a distinctly bitter taste due to the presence of quassinoids, which are recognized as some of the bitterest compounds in nature [30,31]. Tongkat ali extracts that do not taste bitter are either not true Eurycoma longifolia root (there are many commercial examples of “fake” tongkat ali extracts) or are sub-potent in terms of bioactive constituents, and thus would also be expected to have low efficacy.

(Improves digestion?)

Animal studies have shown that many of the effects of the extract are mediated by its glycoprotein components [14]. The mechanism of action of the bioactive complex polypeptides (“eurypeptides” with 36 amino acids) has been shown to activate the CYP17 enzyme (17 alpha-hydroxylase and 17,20 lyase) to enhance the metabolism of pregnenolone and progesterone to yield more DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) and androstenedione, respectively [29]. This glycoprotein water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia has been shown to deliver anti-aging and anti-stress benefits subsequent to its testosterone-balancing effects [41,42].

Hormone profile (salivary cortisol and testosterone) was significantly improved by TA supplementation, with reduced cortisol exposure (−16%, Figure 2), increased testosterone status (+37%, Figure 3) and overall improved cortisol:testosterone ratio (−36%) in the TA group compared to placebo.
Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? - PubMed - NCBI
Results show that treatment of LOH patients with this Tongkat ali extract significantly (P < 0.0001) improved the AMS score as well as the serum testosterone concentration. While before treatment only 10.5% of the patients did not show any complaint according to the AMS scale and 35.5% had normal testosterone levels, after the completed treatment 71.7% and 90.8% of the patients showed normal values, respectively. Thus, Tongkat ali extract appears to be useful as a supplement in overcoming the symptoms of LOH and for the management of hypogonadism.
Eurycomanone, the major quassinoid in Eurycoma longifolia root extract increases spermatogenesis by inhibiting the activity of phosphodiesterase an... - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSION:
Eurycomanone enhanced testosterone steroidogenesis at the Leydig cells by inhibiting aromatase conversion of testosterone to oestrogen, and at a high concentration may also involve phosphodiesterase inhibition.
Standardized quassinoid-rich Eurycoma longifolia extract improved spermatogenesis and fertility in male rats via the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal... - PubMed - NCBI
RESULTS:
The male rats orally administered with 25mg/kg of F2 and 250mg/kg of W, significantly increased the sperm concentration when compared with that of the control animals (P<0.05). High performance liquid chromatography analysis revealed that 25mg/kg of F2 and 250mg/kg of W were almost similar in concentration of eurycomanone, the major and most potent quassinoid. Microscopic morphometrical analysis of the rat testis following treatment with F2, showed significant increase in the number of spermatocytes and round spermatids at Stage VII of the spermatogenesis cycle when compared to that of the control (P<0.05). The estimated spermatozoa production rate and the number of Leydig cells were also elevated (P<0.001). The fertility index, fecundity index and the pup litter size delivered from the females after mating with the males treated with F2 were increased. The plasma testosterone level of the animals given 25mg/kg of F2 orally was significantly different at day-26 (p<0.05) and day-52 (P<0.01) from those of control but was not different at day-104. The testicular testosterone also peaked in the animals treated with 25mg/kg F2 and was higher than that in the plasma. The plasma LH and FSH levels of the rats treated with 25mg/kg of F2 were higher than those of the control (P<0.001). In contrast, the plasma estrogen level was significantly lower than that of the untreated control. Amongst the isolated quassinoids of F2, eurycomanone and 13α(21)-dihydroeurycomaone significantly increased the testosterone level from the Leydig cells of the testicular interstitial cells cultured in vitro (P<0.05).
New antiulcer quassinoids from Eurycoma longifolia - ScienceDirect

Eurycoma longifolia in Radix for the treatment of ethanol-induced gastric lesion in rats. - PubMed - NCBI
Hence it is concluded that Eurycoma longifolia in Radix is as effective as ranitidine in the treatment of ethanol-induced gastric lesions in rats.
Good...thanks for the links...take it once a week

Wagner83

I tried a few different brands, all with the same result. Source naturals, NOW, and vitamin shoppe's own brand.
I didn't find the vitamin shoppe one (unfortunately 'Python Extra' and 'Ejaculoid' weren't the ones) but for the record now foods is a mix of herbs, source naturals has excipients like gmo gum and silica but otherwise it looks fine. Given the studies, could it be too much to handle depending on health? Or perhaps it doesn't work for some, like many supposedly good supplements.

B

Braveheart

I didn't find the vitamin shoppe one (unfortunately 'Python Extra' and 'Ejaculoid' weren't the ones) but for the record now foods is a mix of herbs, source naturals has excipients like gmo gum and silica but otherwise it looks fine. Given the studies, could it be too much to handle depending on health? Or perhaps it doesn't work for some, like many supposedly good supplements.

B

Braveheart

I use the Source Naturals...once a week only...the other days diff similar herbs...all only once a week

haidut

Forum Supporter

I think the effects were from the herb - clear adrenergic effects that I can get from a nicotine gum or smoking a cigarette. Intestinal irritation feels different and since I got the same effects from several brands I just thought it is not for me. Maybe it works for others.

haidut

Forum Supporter
These are all terrible brands for Tongkat ali, you should try LJ100. Properly. It outperforms Tribulus.

All of them used LJ100 actually. LJ100 is a patented ingredients that many vendors buy under license and include in their products. In fact, the label for most Tongkat products I have seen usually shows at least some LJ100, and often it is the only ingredient.

magnesiumania

All i can say is that it made me horney and easily erect my penis but its been a while. I just started taking it again but i dont experience any effect. Probably because my metabolism is trashed from psychyatric drugs latly and nothing really works properly.

johnsmith

I want to try consuming this herb again but it made me very agitated and angry the last few times I took it. Any ideas why this herb may have caused that or how to prevent it from happening? I took the Lost Empire Herbs brand and I'm a PFS guy.

magnesiumania

I want to try consuming this herb again but it made me very agitated and angry the last few times I took it. Any ideas why this herb may have caused that or how to prevent it from happening? I took the Lost Empire Herbs brand and I'm a PFS guy.
I gresset the minerals and vitamin to support it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom