Tomato inflammation

PaRa

It depends of the individuals, it's a nightshade so you can be sensitive to it.
the skin/seeds can be irritative,
IME organic top quality tomato concentrate/paste / fresh whole raw (or cooked) tomato are great but others products/ forms mess with me

Perry Staltic

Tomatoes contain some powerful antioxidants, but also contain an alkaloid that can cause problems in some people.

It depends of the individuals, it's a nightshade so you can be sensitive to it.
the skin/seeds can be irritative,
IME organic top quality tomato concentrate/paste / fresh whole raw (or cooked) tomato are great but others products/ forms mess with me
Not to mention all the seeds in them. Wouldn't they be the seeds that Ray Peat would recommend avoiding, like the berries?

mostlylurking

I am sure it would help, but I wonder if the spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce companies are bothering to do that?
I am strongly sensitive to nightshade vegetables. They cause a strong inflammatory response that really hurts. I avoid them like the plague. However, I've found that I can eat some organic pizza sauce I found at the grocery, and I can eat a little catsup without a reaction.

I am strongly sensitive to nightshade vegetables. They cause a strong inflammatory response that really hurts. I avoid them like the plague. However, I've found that I can eat some organic pizza sauce I found at the grocery, and I can eat a little catsup without a reaction.
I wonder why?

I think the most inflammatory part of tomatoes is the mucilage around the seeds and I don't think it is included in the sauce.
But with you being sensitive to night shades, even removing the seeds still makes it a nightshade. So something more has to be going on there.

mostlylurking

But with you being sensitive to night shades, even removing the seeds still makes it a nightshade. So something more has to be going on there.
I don't think so. I can have a little bit of a specific organic pizza sauce. That's it. Ray Peat has said that the problem is mainly caused by the mucilage around the tomato seeds. I also react badly to peppers and to eggplant. Sort of wipes out any reason to grow a vegetable garden in Texas. I can tolerate young yellow crookneck squash and that's it.

I don't think so. I can have a little bit of a specific organic pizza sauce. That's it. Ray Peat has said that the problem is mainly caused by the mucilage around the tomato seeds. I also react badly to peppers and to eggplant. Sort of wipes out any reason to grow a vegetable garden in Texas. I can tolerate young yellow crookneck squash and that's it.
What about potatoes? I sometimes get achy legs when I eat them.

Potatoes don’t bother me. Peppers and tomatoes bother me but I love them. Have to minimize consumption.

skittles

I suspect underripe tomatoes cause some irritation and phlegminess for me. But the sweet, ripe Grape tomatoes, or beautiful organic on-the-vine-and-bright-red-all-the-way-through tomatoes seem fine

mostlylurking

What about potatoes? I sometimes get achy legs when I eat them.
I think I can tolerate potatoes occasionally, so long as I avoid the skin. However, different people can have different responses to it. I think that the integrity of the gut lining plays a big part of a person's reactivity. If you have leaky gut you are going to be more reactive because things will get into your bloodstream that don't belong there.

I think I can tolerate potatoes occasionally, so long as I avoid the skin. However, different people can have different responses to it. I think that the integrity of the gut lining plays a big part of a person's reactivity. If you have leaky gut you are going to be more reactive because things will get into your bloodstream that don't belong there.
Mine is just a faint ache, and just sometimes. Like you I always peel them too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals