Tom Brady's Diet

forterpride

There is nothing special about how he looks if he's not 40 yet. If he was nearing 50 maybe. Ray peat has less wrinkles than him

And the guy in the video just has more bodyfat and no tan on his face. that is all. he doesn't look any older or "worse" than brady. Less bodyfat in face will automatically register a "more attractive" look to people. there have been studies done on it. Pulse and temperature is probably a bit more accurate than photographs. just a hunch.

Rock_V

IMO, I wouldn't really say that Tom Brady is in the best physical shape, judging by this picture during his holidays. Especially when you compare him with the Italian footballers - Francesco Totti (40) - Paolo Maldini (48) - who are recognised for how long they they have been able to perform at the top level.
francescototti_miami.jpg
paolo-maldini-con-la-moglie-a-miami.jpg

PCN_gisele_bundchen_tom_brady_beach_sk_150324.jpg

forterpride

Body fat% and six pack abs are not reliable indicators of physical health. Thats putting it mildly.

444-png.4558

Xisca

Inner Mammal Institute: building power over your mammalian brain chemistry.
Our bodies can make serotonine, so why speak only about it coming from food?
Sound a bit like the cholesterol story ok people who do not want to eat egg yolks...
To my knowledge, there is something true in what lampofred says. I am just surprised that it is dopamine that is increased. If it is, it is from getting prospect of a reward. Dopamine is what makes you motivated, and it is the basis of additive reinforcement. When you want something, your body makes all it can, and you do not have to drag yourself out of bed! I prefer that dopamine get me up rather than adrenaline...
Winning triggers serotonine I think.
A humongous part of health is social status, much more than diet. High social status/success literally changes hundreds of gene's expressions to increase attractiveness and reduce metabolic syndrome traits (massive testosterone and dopamine increase from winning, for example, is well-documented, and high blood pressure/abdominal fat/cardiovascular disease from low social status is well-documented). It makes sense if you think of it from evolutionary terms: if you are successful, then nature will want you to be healthy and attractive to pass your genes on. If not, then no. Tom Brady is obviously at the top of ladder in those terms.

That's why I think many people are super healthy even though they eat like junk. For them, even though their tissues may be full of PUFA, they don't have the stress to turn on the enzymes that convert PUFA into dangerous prostaglandins, for example. For others who are stressed, Peat's approach is more viable. If you can't substantially improve your social standing/success/wealth in a short amount of time to reduce those enzymes, then get rid of PUFA in the first place so that even if you are stressed, then you won't be unhealthy. Peat repeatedly says that PUFA-deficient animals are enormously stress-resistant, but that doesn't mean that you can't be healthy if you are full of PUFA but experience no stress in life. It all depends on stress.
So it depends on your inner stress from the past, and it is documented that some rich people still have this stress unless they keep it on check with MORE earning. The stress is still there no matter how much money they have in stock, they need the gaining itself and not only the money.

Michael Mormot did extensive research on this. He found that health outcomes in selected individuals (anecdotal evidence) can be attributed to variety of factors, but statistically significant patterns show that social status IS the unifying predictor of health and longevity across studies.
When you are on top and can get what you need more easily, it obviously reduces stress for survival! There is a thread about perinatal threat (I play on words!), and when you had this, you can stay in survival mode. I am one of those... As a child I wanted to know all about survival in nature, and was reading all sort of Robinson story books... It can show in many ways in your life coices, however neo-cortexly you can justify your choices!
We are all about survival, to be there and alive, aren't we? Sugar also help this! All good nutrition helps you feel confident you are going to live, and reduces stress. Of course it is also more than nutrition.

I've read Sapolsky's book and this social status stuff is fairly dumb because humans are not monkeys or baboons. *All* the research is extrapolated from primate models. Human society just does not work anything like a baboon troop. It's completely ridiculous.

It's interesting that the people who go big into this stuff and start talking about humans as alpha or beta are always obviously deeply neurotic. It says more about them than biological or social reality.
We are not monkeys but we are mammals with the same limbic brain, and still have the older brain as all animals. It is proven that we still have some reflexes that come from the first fish in the sea, I do not remember, it is about something in the breathing and automatic closing of airways... Every layer of evolution has some underneath layers.

I agree with this of the alfa and beta, but the other way round. This theory came from wolf watching, and was a short cut, and we started to put this theory in dog training, because we humans like it, and people think they have to be the leader of the pack, and probably get some serotonine this way!
Wellllll, now it starts to come out another way, and that wolves do not use this hierarchy for hunting. I do not mean there is no hierarchy, it is documented in neuro-science, but it does not show the way it is said, and you can either train your dog OR educate children without at all using the alfa model!!! When it comes from neurotic people, then it says a lot about them, I agree with zztr, and for me the sadness is when people TRY to believe this, and TRY to act with what is taught to them as being authority. Definitely, serotonine is not all that good... Oxytocine and dopamine are very much more friendly to my feelings and thought equally!

Xisca

One who is adept at burning glucose will have low insulin levels allowing the body to access fat stores during times of not eating (or eating things not carby like veggies). A life long diet of food consumption that creates elevated insulin levels like sugar, dairy, fruit smoothies etc will create insulin resistance which is what happens when insulin levels remain elevated.
I had low insuline and was burning fat very well, I never put on weight. But I do not feel an adept at burning glucose either... would like to know more about insuline and how this all works!

My idea about using the 2 routes for fuel, is that we should be like a gazoline and gasoil car at the same time, with an easier switch.

May be we are meant to have a seasonal diet, and use fruits when available. Maybe in old time they were using carbs form grain as fuel when fruits were not available... And much more norht, they were using fruits in autumn, and then fat in winter, and also grains if they had some storage. Maybe the problem is to not be fluent in changing language... Flexibility over ridgidity might be a key to heath! Go seasonally to Mexico!

I live in "only" subtropical, but no way to eat fruits all year long. People always kept fresh caves withh potatoes alll through the dry summer. Even eggs are not all year long, cheese yes.

Last edited:

Mito

In ‘Play On,’ Exploring How Elite Athletes Improve With Age

Q. What were some of the unusual diets you came across in your research for the book?

A. Nutrition is probably the area of sports science where pseudoscience flourishes most widely. That’s partly because nutritional knowledge doesn’t tend to change that much, and novelty is powerful.

Tom Brady, for example, follows a diet that is built around the idea of lowering systemic inflammation by eating a balance of 80 percent “alkaline” foods and 20 percent “acidic” foods, and avoiding certain foods that are believed to be pro-inflammatory, like nightshades and strawberries.

But the weirdest thing I came across was a nutritionist who works with a lot of famous athletes. He does blood tests that are supposed to identify the five foods that are most compatible with your immune system. Then you limit your diet to those five foods. At one point he had Dwight Freeney, the great N.F.L. pass rusher, eating nothing but pinto beans and beef during the playoffs.

Mito

0C9CC114-5B79-4C06-9502-C5BE1722A7BA.jpeg
7156F91D-F283-4EE8-91C0-60F1DC98ED32.jpeg
F7E1D816-8BB0-44B8-A412-D476ADF300E6.jpeg
82378F97-F8AD-4064-8E4E-B15777FAB620.jpeg
25813A2A-3574-447C-8A44-161133CE0E3B.jpeg

“Caffeine is off the table. So is white flour, white sugar, dairy products and anything with gluten. He steers clear of veggies — tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, mushrooms — that could cause inflammation. Everything has to be organic. Brady each day tries to drink “a couple of hundred ounces” of water, usually enhanced with electrolytes. (He sells those, along with various nutritional supplements, through his TB12 site.)”

pro marker

about time i say this again: recently met with some retired models in their 40s. very beautiful people. great skin, hair, everything.
vegetarian and high pufa diets. why is it so hard to accept that genetics can be more important than diet?

schultz

about time i say this again: recently met with some retired models in their 40s. very beautiful people. great skin, hair, everything.
vegetarian and high pufa diets. why is it so hard to accept that genetics can be more important than diet?

Sure, what your mother and father ate during their time before conceiving you would affect your health. Or even if one of your grandparents was a drunk, or had excessive radiation exposure, etc. That's what I think of when people say "genetics".

But also, why jump right from his current diet to just saying genetics? Could be his mother's health while he was in-utero and his childhood dietary habits, whether he had a good stable home and family, etc. People seem to leave out childhood (our formative years) and go from "oh this guy eats PUFA so it must be genetics" ignoring the most important part of a person's life, as if the assumption is they ate exactly the same their entire life.

MitchMitchell

how about this: why is it so hard to accept that PUFAs from whole food sources aren’t detrimental whatsoever and contribute to healthy skin and hair health? Hmmm???

I look much younger than my age. 33 soon with fierce boners every morning, easily build muscle, on the shredded side tho (grew up very lanky because undernourished). All I one Gainer shakes twice daily, rice + lean meat or fatty fish + cooked greens twice daily.

whatever people do that ends up somewhat successful is nearly always low fat, whole food, appropriate calories. Cultists hate it.

tankasnowgod

Because

1. I'm betting you didn't get a look at their food diaries to verify exactly what they eat, and
2. I'm betting you didn't run a genetic test like 23 and Me on them and isolate the specific SNIP that allows them to have beautiful skin and hair while eating 40+ grams of PUFA a day.

Everyone that likes to credit or blame genetics never offers up any real proof.

mrchibbs

Sure, what your mother and father ate during their time before conceiving you would affect your health. Or even if one of your grandparents was a drunk, or had excessive radiation exposure, etc. That's what I think of when people say "genetics".

But also, why jump right from his current diet to just saying genetics? Could be his mother's health while he was in-utero and his childhood dietary habits, whether he had a good stable home and family, etc. People seem to leave out childhood (our formative years) and go from "oh this guy eats PUFA so it must be genetics" ignoring the most important part of a person's life, as if the assumption is they ate exactly the same their entire life.
Exactly. Culturally we have such a flawed understanding of what heredity, development and things like hormonal imprinting actually mean. Much of the reason for that is the dogma of immuable "genes", but the scientific work in the field of transgenerational epigenetics shows much of the 19th and 20th century notions to be completely bogus.

Re: Tom, he is a passionate guy, has taken care of his body, gets massages, sleep, and has a fulfilling life (his life purpose as a football player) and family environment (not to mention a beautiful wife) these things matter more than diet. Certain inaquacies in the diet don't mean much when all the other boxes are checked. This is why some people do great on carnivore diets; sure it can have the excess of phosphate, and amino acid imbalance etc., but it also has little to no contaminants, or gut irritants, and provides plenty of protein to deal with stress and prevent muscle wastage etc. Similarly fruitarian has many benefits and you can find people who look and feel marvelous on such diets.

Brady does eat some PUFAs, but he avoids virtually all of the commercial vegetable oils, so he eats less than the typical american. He avoids gluten, and that is a huge positive factor along with his overall emphasis on minimizing inflammation. Emphasis on electrolytes and water is great, consuming sugars from natural fruits, great, eats eggs, and good organic meat, great. Avocado fats are mostly monounsaturated. Really the only "issue" is the PUFA he gets from various nuts and seeds, but he probably gets really fresh nuts and seeds and those are filled chockful with vitamin E, b vitamins, minerals etc. which help to metabolize the PUFAs. He's not eating rancid peanuts from a vending machine.

So I would say it's not really a big surprise that he feels and look the way he does.

Anyway, he's the GOAT. Been watching him since I was a teenager, and it's really unbelieveable what he's done, especially these past 4-5 years.

tankasnowgod

how about this: why is it so hard to accept that PUFAs from whole food sources aren’t detrimental whatsoever and contribute to healthy skin and hair health? Hmmm???

Because whole food sources have a lot less PUFA than high PUFA oils.

100 grams of soybean oil is basically pure fat, and has about 60 grams of PUFA.

100 grams of salmon has about 13 grams of fat, and about 4 grams of PUFA. To equal the PUFA in 100g soybean oil, you would have to eat 1.5 Kilograms of Salmon.

When you eat less poison, you would expect it to have less poisonous effects.

gaze

100 grams of salmon has about 13 grams of fat, and about 4 grams of PUFA. To equal the PUFA in 100g soybean oil, you would have to eat 1.5 Kilograms of Salmon.

not to mention the extremely pro thyroid things in salmon like b6 selenium iodine b3 biotin protein that off set the pufa.

gaze

these are the meals tb sells. it's not just salads and nuts and seeds. far better than the SAD as well

reality

100g of (wild) salmon has only 1.4g of pufa. that’s nearly the same as 1 whole egg. Not to mention it’s all o3

salmon is a great food imo. That PUFA also comes with vitamin e and astaxanthin, protecting it from oxidation

equipoise

Tom is GOAT. His diet is amazing aswell, it clearly works for him. Just universally good looking chad who's passionate about what he does in life indicating high androgens.