TocoVit - Liquid Vitamin E From Wheat Germ Oil

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
- Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues

@haidut

Do you think 800 IU vitamin E (as w/ TocoVit + micronized progesterone, or just TocoVit by itself) taken daily during the winter would be harmful?

I think 800 IU vitamin E is around the upper limit of what the organism can utilize daily. At that dose it may cause issues with increased bleeding especially when combined with progesterone, so maybe adding some vitamin K a few hours before/after the vitamin E would help balance that.

DaveFoster

I think 800 IU vitamin E is around the upper limit of what the organism can utilize daily. At that dose it may cause issues with increased bleeding especially when combined with progesterone, so maybe adding some vitamin K a few hours before/after the vitamin E would help balance that.
Thanks for the info, haidut.

I have another quick question that I've thought about for quite a while. Since stress and shock tend to increase clotting, wouldn't the use of anti-stress substances that tend to thin the blood (as with progesterone, vitamin E, aspirin, and so on) in a person under stress have a reduced chance of thinning the blood excessively, and wouldn't there be more homeostatic regulations here? Or would that apply moreso to thyroid and less so with regard to isolated substances such as vitamin E?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info, haidut.

I have another quick question that I've thought about for quite a while. Since stress and shock tend to increase clotting, wouldn't the use of anti-stress substances that tend to thin the blood (as with progesterone, vitamin E, aspirin, and so on) in a person under stress have a reduced chance of thinning the blood excessively, and wouldn't there be more homeostatic regulations here? Or would that apply moreso to thyroid and less so with regard to isolated substances such as vitamin E?

Yes, under stress there would be more clotting so higher vitamin E and/or progesterone can bring that back to normal. But if vitamin E manages to inhibit vitamin K absorption/transport/stores then bleeding issues can develop simply due to the inability of the liver to produce clotting protetins (which require vitamin K) even in the presence of stress. But I agree that excess clotting is probably a much more common risk than excess bleeding.

TreasureVibe

Hi Haidut, what is your opinion on the things that have been written about vitamin E on the following page?

NUTRI-SPEC - Article: Tocopherols

According to that webpage article, vitamin E causes cancer, strains the heart and depletes bodily energy, accelerates aging, raises cholesterol, and can cause cardiac arrhytmias to name a few.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi Haidut, what is your opinion on the things that have been written about vitamin E on the following page?

NUTRI-SPEC - Article: Tocopherols

According to that webpage article, vitamin E causes cancer, strains the heart and depletes bodily energy, accelerates aging, raises cholesterol, and can cause cardiac arrhytmias to name a few.

I think my opinion on vitamin E is pretty clear. Can't really argue with everything somebody decides to throw against a chemical they don't like. Aspirin is the same way. There are articles and studies painting as the devil.

TreasureVibe

I think my opinion on vitamin E is pretty clear. Can't really argue with everything somebody decides to throw against a chemical they don't like. Aspirin is the same way. There are articles and studies painting as the devil.
But do you think this source is credible? They represent their statements with plausible arguments..

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
But do you think this source is credible? They represent their statements with plausible arguments..

Honestly, I don't know if they are credible. They could be perfectly fine folks believing in the misinformation published about vitamin E. Given the widespread phenomenon of ghostwriting and sponsored studies we really do not have very unbiased picture of vitamin E effects, so it is easy to find damning statements paid for by Big Pharma.

Vinero

I have been using Tocovit for a few days now at 400 IU and can report the following:
- I no longer feel cold at any time during the day. I usually need a sweater at some point during the evening because I get cold. This has disappeared and I feel comfortable just wearing a t-shirt.
- Tocovit doesn't irritate my gut at all. This is in direct contrast to another vitamin E supplement I was using, which gave me stomach cramps and a high serotonin feeling. That vitamin E supplement was pure alpha-tocopherol made from sunflower oil. It gave me a huge mood lift initially, followed by stomach cramps and sick feeling. Tocovit seems neutral to my gut, which allows me to use vitamin E daily.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have been using Tocovit for a few days now at 400 IU and can report the following:
- I no longer feel cold at any time during the day. I usually need a sweater at some point during the evening because I get cold. This has disappeared and I feel comfortable just wearing a t-shirt.
- Tocovit doesn't irritate my gut at all. This is in direct contrast to another vitamin E supplement I was using, which gave me stomach cramps and a high serotonin feeling. That vitamin E supplement was pure alpha-tocopherol made from sunflower oil. It gave me a huge mood lift initially, followed by stomach cramps and sick feeling. Tocovit seems neutral to my gut, which allows me to use vitamin E daily.

Excellent, thanks so much for the feedback!

Fractality

Sorry if this has already been answered but I'm short on time. This latest batch of tocovit I've received has a pale/whitish color almost sediment like which forms in the bottom of the bottle. What is this? Should I shake the bottle up? Even when I shake the bottle it doesn't seem to combine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sorry if this has already been answered but I'm short on time. This latest batch of tocovit I've received has a pale/whitish color almost sediment like which forms in the bottom of the bottle. What is this? Should I shake the bottle up? Even when I shake the bottle it doesn't seem to combine.

I would shake the bottle so that the sediment disperses equally. These seem to be the non-soluble waxes in the liquid. We had TocoVit split into various constituents by a lab and the "waxes/terpenes" fraction looks like that.

Lucenzo01

Is there some kind of equivalence between topical tocovit vs generic E brand in terms of potency? I'm asking because although I would love to use it it can get really expensive with higher doses. Could 100 IU's of tocovit protect the possible toxicity of huge doses of vitamin A?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there some kind of equivalence between topical tocovit vs generic E brand in terms of potency? I'm asking because although I would love to use it it can get really expensive with higher doses. Could 100 IU's of tocovit protect the possible toxicity of huge doses of vitamin A?

Vitamin E is vitamin E, when it comes to tocopherol. So, the equivalence of both is 1 to 1. TocoVit contains other chemicals from wheat germ, which peat opined may have been responsible for the highly beneficial effects of older vitamin E products he (and his thesis adviser) used. So, not even sure how to compare TocoVit to a generic vitamin E. But as far as the alpha tocopherols in both of them is concerned they are all equivalent.

Katty

@haidut
So this is probably a dumb question, but for someone who wants to lower his/her triglyceride levels, is it a problem to take TocoVit because it has triglycerides in it? Not sure what happens when one ingests triglycerides.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
So this is probably a dumb question, but for someone who wants to lower his/her triglyceride levels, is it a problem to take TocoVit because it has triglycerides in it? Not sure what happens when one ingests triglycerides.

It is a very small amount and incomparable to what you get from diet. A dose of 20 drops TocoVit would provide milli-grams of trigs while any decent meal would probably give you tens of grams.

Katty

It is a very small amount and incomparable to what you get from diet. A dose of 20 drops TocoVit would provide milli-grams of trigs while any decent meal would probably give you tens of grams.
OK, thanks for your response, Haidut!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Bump. We changed the TocoVit formulation and updated the original thread with description of what we did. Please look at the section that starts with "Edit (3/10/2018)".
Basically, due to people complaining about taste/smell of the product we hired a lab to do additional purification and now the product has no smell/taste. In addition, we asked the lab to leave only the mixed tocopherols and the long chain fatty alcohols known as "policosanol". These long chain fatty alcohols are what Ray repeatedly said was likely responsible for the unique effects of the vitamin E he was working with in the 1960s and 1970s. So, the product now is as close as we can get to the original formula short of getting an actual sample of it and figuring out exactly what was in it.

L

lollipop

Bump. We changed the TocoVit formulation and updated the original thread with description of what we did. Please look at the section that starts with "Edit (3/10/2018)".
Basically, due to people complaining about taste/smell of the product we hired a lab to do additional purification and now the product has no smell/taste. In addition, we asked the lab to leave only the mixed tocopherols and the long chain fatty alcohols known as "policosanol". These long chain fatty alcohols are what Ray repeatedly said was likely responsible for the unique effects of the vitamin E he was working with in the 1960s and 1970s. So, the product now is as close as we can get to the original formula short of getting an actual sample of it and figuring out exactly what was in it.
Awesome! Just was going to buy more in the next few weeks. Good timing ❤️

Wagner83

Did you send one bottle to our CEO? I remember he disliked the taste of the old one so it would be interesting to know how he rates this one.
Is the colour still dark amber?