Tocopherol-based Products Gone Rancid?

Broco6679

I've had two products suspended in tocopherol both go rancid this week. The first was my Thorne Vitamin D/K2 mix, which began to emit a 'fishy' odor upon topical application. I didn't think much of this initially since I'd had the bottle for a while, so assumed it had just passed its use by date. However, a week later I went to apply my progesterone for the first time in a few months - which had also been sat on the shelf right next to the aforementioned D/K2 - and that also presented the exact same rancid, fishy and pungent odor.

I've read around the forum but I can't find much information about this. Can tocopherol itself go rancid, and if so, are the products still safe to use, despite the awful smell? I would rather not waste what are fairly expensive supplements, but likewise, I won't take the risk if the products aren't safe.

For context: the room they were stored in is dry and dark, though sunlight does shine on them for maybe an hour each day. The ambient temperature has remained mostly cool but there has been a few days that have reached 25c+ in the last month. All advice is appreciated!

OP
B

Broco6679

Bump.

Nobody ever had a tocopherol based product emit an unpleasant odor before? Need to decide whether I'm throwing them out or not soon.

golder

Had quite a few Idealabs product arrive with a fishy odour before I'd even used them. Keen to find an answer to this.

OP
B

Broco6679

Had quite a few Idealabs product arrive with a fishy odour before I'd even used them. Keen to find an answer to this.

Did you still use them?

My progesterone that smells is cortinon from IdeaLabs. To be fair to haidut, the very same smell started to emit from my thorne vitmain D/K2, so I don't believe it's specific to his products, but rather tocopherol and/or MCT in general.

Concerning, regardless.

Sheik

Well Health Natura Whole E smells like smoked oysters. They said it's normal but I have serious doubts about the quality.

I've never had one start smelling fishy after a long time. I can only imagine it's not good.

member11823

I've had two products suspended in tocopherol both go rancid this week. The first was my Thorne Vitamin D/K2 mix, which began to emit a 'fishy' odor upon topical application. I didn't think much of this initially since I'd had the bottle for a while, so assumed it had just passed its use by date. However, a week later I went to apply my progesterone for the first time in a few months - which had also been sat on the shelf right next to the aforementioned D/K2 - and that also presented the exact same rancid, fishy and pungent odor.

I've read around the forum but I can't find much information about this. Can tocopherol itself go rancid, and if so, are the products still safe to use, despite the awful smell? I would rather not waste what are fairly expensive supplements, but likewise, I won't take the risk if the products aren't safe.

For context: the room they were stored in is dry and dark, though sunlight does shine on them for maybe an hour each day. The ambient temperature has remained mostly cool but there has been a few days that have reached 25c+ in the last month. All advice is appreciated!
Same here, I've started taking thorn d k mix 2 month before expiring date. Worst 2 months of my life, nausea all the time till I figured out it was the supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals