Tobacco

JewlzSanguine

I would like to start smoking organic tobacco again however it makes me break out. I assume it’s the detoxification of PUFA and estrogen. How can I smoke without breaking out?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hey there - you ought to be careful with any tobacco and pesticides. Even it it's organic, one has to ensure it does not have glyphosate or other pesticides / organophosphates.

peter88

What brand of tobacco did you smoke? Also I’d argue smoking out of a pipe or rolling your own cigarettes in hemp papers is just as important as the tobacco smoked.

A wild species of tobacco, Nicotiana rustica, grows pretty easily on several continents in different climates -- the Amazon, the Yukon, the US southwest. Drying it can be low maintenance if you have a place to keep the leaves a while where you can maintain the temperature, humidity, and air flow okay. And growing it yourself you can choose where the soil's from, add some compost, play records for it, tickle it, help the plant be really healthy. If you live in the US, you might be able to find some to buy in person or learn how to grow it from someone who's involved with the Native American community.

Last edited:

Nicotiana rustica also has more nicotine (and other alkaloids), so you don't have to smoke as much. Vaping it could be good, depending on the vaporizer.

TabulaRasa

Is American Spirit really organic? I’ve heard bad things about the brand, despite how it’s advertised.

RealNeat

A
Is American Spirit really organic? I’ve heard bad things about the brand, despite how it’s advertised.
Yes they really are, at least the ones labeled organic. However the combustion byproducts are still dangerous, along with the fertilizers and their radioactivity. Most tobacco commercially grown today is compromised. The rolling papers are also horrible, hemp or not, organic or not, the best is tobacco leaf like cigars for rolling or a pipe. The safest bet seems to be growing one's own tobacco or finding a clean one to make into snuss. Smoking it is something I wouldn't do, I'd only puff on it like a cigar, no need to push it down into the lungs to feel it.

golder

Vaping? Topical nicotine? Surely these are better options than smoking?

I've tried the American Spirit organic rolling tobacco, and also tried smoking tiny amounts of wild Nicotiana rustica out of a pipe, and the wild rustica gives a mild nicotine buzz from smoking only a few puffs and the smoke feels lighter and purer and more relatively expectorant (an herbal medicine term meaning reducing congestion in the lungs) and the body high feels a lot less heavy and sluggish and sedating than the commercial tobacco species, even the organic American Spirit. I've also read that tribal shamans in the Amazon say that wild tobacco helps cure and prevent addiction to tobacco, like a plant spirit teacher medicine, how some psychedelics are used to help treat addictions, and after smoking the rustica I feel in an intuitive emotional sense that's true; I feel that the wild plant somehow gives respect for the use of tobacco as being something to only maybe do in moderation occasionally as a medicine rather than an addiction. Making tea with rustica is another option, to get some nicotine and the complementary chemicals in the wild species without smoking.

Last edited:

@TabulaRasa
leafonly.com . They also have 1/4 lb samples of organic commercial species. 1/4 lb, even being whole leaf with stems being some of the weight, is much more after destemming than the ~2 oz package of American Spirit rolling tobacco. They also have wild Nicotiana rustica from India (sometimes; if it's in stock) but it's not certified organic so I don't know whether it's really wild grown or if the "wild" in the product name is to attract attention, from people who might not know the species name but have heard of wild tobacco species, and maybe it was cultivated with some chemicals. Rustica grows easily though so it might be more profitable for farmers in India to just let it grow naturally without extra input costs. There are also some people who sell Mapacho online, which is rustica from Ecuador or Peru. Depending where it's from and their traditions I think sometimes it's cured with alcohols or sugars or can be cured without those.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
@TabulaRasa
leafonly.com . They also have 1/4 lb samples of organic commercial species. 1/4 lb, even being whole leaf with stems being some of the weight, is much more after destemming than the ~2 oz package of American Spirit rolling tobacco. They also have wild Nicotiana rustica from India (sometimes; if it's in stock) but it's not certified organic so I don't know whether it's really wild grown or if the "wild" in the product name is to attract attention, from people who might not know the species name but have heard of wild tobacco species, and maybe it was cultivated with some chemicals. Rustica grows easily though so it might be more profitable for farmers in India to just let it grow naturally without extra input costs. There are also some people who sell Mapacho online, which is rustica from Ecuador or Peru. Depending where it's from and their traditions I think sometimes it's cured with alcohols or sugars or can be cured without those.
That's neat, will order some pipe tobacco from them. Thanks

The ingredients on the organic American Spirit rolling tobacco package are "tobacco, water". And also on the package it says, "No additives in our tobacco does NOT mean safer." I don't know what the legal requirements about the specification of ingredients of tobacco on packaging are (none? because cigarettes don't have to list ingredients), so together those two statements on the package might leave open the possibility of additives being put in the water ingredient. Smoking the organic American Spirit rolling tobacco felt less healthy to me than the certified organic tobacco from leafonly.com. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA has a mole working at American Spirit who they use to trick unsuspecting hipsters into inhaling things into their blood they otherwise might not want to. Now that I'm posting this, their AI internet surveillance will probably notify someone they should get a mole into LeafOnly (just kidding; they'd have to get moles into the growers LeafOnly buys from... uh oh). Maybe the stuff on the American Spirit package is a joke for overly paranoid people like me. Either way, American Spirit's owned by a big tobacco company, so better to get certified organic tobacco from other people, or grow your own Nicotiana rustica (or get it from the Native American community maybe).

Last edited:

RealNeat

The ingredients on the organic American Spirit rolling tobacco package are "tobacco, water". And also on the package it says, "No additives in our tobacco does NOT mean safer." I don't know what the legal requirements about the specification of ingredients of tobacco on packaging are (none? because cigarettes don't have to list ingredients), so together those two statements on the package might leave open the possibility of additives being put in the water ingredient. Smoking the organic American Spirit rolling tobacco felt less healthy to me than the certified organic tobacco from leafonly.com. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA has a mole working at American Spirit who they use to trick unsuspecting hipsters into inhaling things into their blood they otherwise might not want to. Now that I'm posting this, their AI internet surveillance will probably notify someone they should get a mole into LeafOnly (just kidding; they'd have to get moles into the growers LeafOnly buys from... uh oh). Maybe the stuff on the American Spirit package is a joke for overly paranoid people like me. Either way, American Spirit's owned by a big tobacco company, so better to get certified organic tobacco from other people, or grow your own Nicotiana rustica (or get it from the Native American community maybe).
I think tobacco producers do have to list ingredients, just not on their product but in a data base. This is one from Philip Morris for example.

Perry Staltic

Perry Staltic

One thing folks need to consider about the organic label is that may just pertain to growing the crop. After it's harvested it has to sit in huge warehouses for years to cure, and they fumigate those warehouses regularly to kill off tobacco beetles. I suspect organically grown stuff gets the same treatment. I can't imagine otherwise because tobacco beetles will absolutely destroy unprotected tobacco.

HighT

One thing folks need to consider about the organic label is that may just pertain to growing the crop. After it's harvested it has to sit in huge warehouses for years to cure, and they fumigate those warehouses regularly to kill off tobacco beetles. I suspect organically grown stuff gets the same treatment. I can't imagine otherwise because tobacco beetles will absolutely destroy unprotected tobacco.
Ye, also certain chemicals are allowed during the growing stage just as all organic crops. So I grew 9 plants this year (canadian virginia light) with seeds from leafonly. Tomorrow Im building a fermenting kiln.At the moment only 1/4 of the leaves are dry ready for fermenting and still plentiful. So just two plants can give you tobacco for months if u smoke less than 5 cigarretes a day.

Grapelander

The Health Benefits of Tobacco and Cutting Through the Anti-Smoking Propaganda

By Bernhard Guenther, September 5, 2017
...it all becomes clear when learning about the truth and the actual benefits of tobacco. For one, smoking tobacco helps to think clearer, increases memory, supports cognitive functions and essentially critical thinking….and the government is certainly not interested in that. Ironically it also protects the lung from pathogens and makes the body more resilient to disease, viruses, epidemics, and plagues. In fact, those employed in the collection of bodies during the Great Plague in 1666 (killing about 100,000 within a year) frequently smoked tobacco to avoid catching the plague. It was known and common knowledge that smoking tobacco served as protection from the plague. Smoking pure tobacco may actually also DECREASE the risk of lung cancer (see articles/resources at the end of the article).

TobaccoPlague.jpg

Body collectors smoking tobacco to avoid catching the plague (1666)