To Haidut : What Do You Usually Eat In A Day?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Isn't it strange that you can eat CVS cheese sticks, but have problems with Organic Milk.

What's your opinion on the cause of this?

I wonder if it's necessary for some to cut out starch completely.

I think it may be the whey or the gums that they now add to ALL types of milk. Many organic brands will list no gums on the label but keep in mind that they do not have to report any ingredient that is below say 1g per serving. And if you there are say 12 servings per carton then you could be getting 11.99g of gum arabic/acacia/gellan and sometimes even carrageenan.
Cheese does not usually have gums as they do not have much usefulness in a solid food.

theLaw

I think it may be the whey or the gums that they now add to ALL types of milk. Many organic brands will list no gums on the label but keep in mind that they do not have to report any ingredient that is below say 1g per serving. And if you there are say 12 servings per carton then you could be getting 11.99g of gum arabic/acacia/gellan and sometimes even carrageenan.
Cheese does not usually have gums as they do not have much usefulness in a solid food.

I guess a way to test this would be with raw Milk, but that can be hard to find.

Thanks for the info!:D

Waremu

Hi Haidut. This is the first time I heard about this. Thanks for sharing this . Wow. Maybe that is why so many of us respond differently to different milk brands. Are you aware of any source that lists safer brands of organic milk that do not add and hide gums and other ingredient by any chance? (If not, no big deal.) For the last hour I was Googling around to see if I can find anything but have not been able to. Toxinless.com doesn't seam to list any as well.

Last edited:

RisingSun

I guess a way to test this would be with raw Milk, but that can be hard to find.

I just had access to raw goat’s milk for a full week last week, and still had digestion problems, a lot of bloating and gas.
Less so than with commercial milk, but still.

My daily quantity varied from 500ml to a gallon. It tastes delicious, but I have to come to the conclusion that milk isn’t for me.
No problem with raw cheese.
Raw goat milk kefir was better, but still some discomfort.

theLaw

@haidut

Have you ever gone competently starch free, and if so for how long? What changes did you notice?

Thanks!:D

Regina

My local grocery sells this brand:
https://maplehill.com/
It is so delicious.
I was raised to believe I was allergic to milk. So, my very first glass of milk occurred when I began reading the forum.
I can and often do drink a half gallon a day of Maple Hill 2% with zero issues.

Aaron

Do you have any citations for the "whey and gums they add to all milk"? I couldn't find anything about that, although I'm inclined to believe it about certain milks.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you have any citations for the "whey and gums they add to all milk"? I couldn't find anything about that, although I'm inclined to believe it about certain milks.

There was some testing by FDA and USDA done on various products and they all found at least one type of gum in the products. You can safely assume that anything known to improve homogenization and shelf life of product will be added if the law allows it and it is in amounts that do not require reporting. The only products that would not have it are non-homogenized milk and those products are very rare. Whole Foods has just one, from some local farm, and all the fat is at the top of the glass bottle. So, given that all other organic brands are perfectly homogenized and the fats does not accumulate at the top even then they are cooled suggests they all most likely have some type of gum in them.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi Haidut. This is the first time I heard about this. Thanks for sharing this . Wow. Maybe that is why so many of us respond differently to different milk brands. Are you aware of any source that lists safer brands of organic milk that do not add and hide gums and other ingredient by any chance? (If not, no big deal.) For the last hour I was Googling around to see if I can find anything but have not been able to. Toxinless.com doesn't seam to list any as well.

Non-homogenized milk usually does not have gums and this is why the fat floats to the top. Most stores do not have non-homogenized milk. WholeFoods has only one brand the last time I checked. And since all the other organic brands appear fully homogenized you can safely conclude they all have some gum in them.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Non-homogenized, pasteurized milk does not seem to have any gums but even WholeFoods seems to have only one brand and most stores do not have any.

Johhny Tazzle

I once saw the ingredient list in the added vitamins in a milk. The vitamin A added contained a certain type of gum that i can't remember, i think it was xanthem gum. So I think that is one of the main reasons i don't feel well with milk that has added vitamins. Every Milk that is unhomegenized with no added vitamins seems to be safe for me. I'm still not sure if the homogenization process is damaging to digestion, or if its just the gum in the added vitamins.

caliwom

This thread got me thinking about additives in milk. I've been drinking nonfat milk. Apparently, powdered milk solids are added to nonfat milk to improve taste. The processing can oxidize the cholesterol in it. They can also add MPC's which are milk protein concentrates. Both of these additives do not have to be listed in the ingredients since they are made from milk. Yesterday, I bought local unpasteurized milk. $11 a gallon. They only sell whole milk. I let it sit in the refrigerator for 12 hours. I then separated the fat layer at the top by poking a hole in the bottom of the plastic jug and letting the defatted milk drain into a mason jar. I put the cream into a separate container. OMG, the taste difference is incredibly better than my standard Costco NF milk. It's like a revelation. Or like the difference between grocery store oj and fresh oj. Yes, it is an investment.

schultz

This thread got me thinking about additives in milk. I've been drinking nonfat milk. Apparently, powdered milk solids are added to nonfat milk to improve taste. The processing can oxidize the cholesterol in it. They can also add MPC's which are milk protein concentrates. Both of these additives do not have to be listed in the ingredients since they are made from milk.

You'd be able to tell if these were added from the nutritional information on the package (assuming it's in meaningful amounts). Yogurt is an example of this. You'll see no-fat greek yogurts with 20g of protein per serving. I just checked my wife's yogurt in the fridge and one of the ingredients is "milk protein".

Edit: I'm not sure I've seen it listed as "milk protein" before. I think in Canada it is usually something like "Milk and milk ingredients".

Mito

There was some testing by FDA and USDA done on various products and they all found at least one type of gum in the products. You can safely assume that anything known to improve homogenization and shelf life of product will be added if the law allows it and it is in amounts that do not require reporting. The only products that would not have it are non-homogenized milk and those products are very rare. Whole Foods has just one, from some local farm, and all the fat is at the top of the glass bottle. So, given that all other organic brands are perfectly homogenized and the fats does not accumulate at the top even then they are cooled suggests they all most likely have some type of gum in them.
I emailed one company that sells homogenized milk at Whole Foods and asked if there is anything in their milk in sufficiently low quantities that they are not required to put it on the label. This was the response:

“All milk that is fortified with Vitamin A and/or D contains incidental additives which are in the vitamin blends at an extremely low amount. Otherwise, we do not add anything else to the milk products.”

Last edited:

RisingSun

If you decide that milk has to be a major part of your diet because it’s good for you, it would be congruent to move to a state/country where raw milk is available.

You cannot have pasteurized & homogenized milk as the major liquid of your diet and think you’re going to be fine forever, it’s pro-inflammatory.

sladerunner69

I emailed one company that sells homogenized milk at Whole Foods and asked if there is anything in their milk in sufficiently low quantities that they are not required to put it on the label. This was the response:

“All milk that is fortified with Vitamin A and/or D contains incidental additives which are in the vitamin blends at an extremely low amount. Otherwise, we do not add anything else to the milk products.”

Yes, this is what I have always thought about the issue. The vitamin blends can contain gums, magnesium stearate, or carrageenan depending on what vitamin blend they are using. The amount of these additives is extremely low, but still enough to trigger an allergic reaction in a few people I bet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals