To Everybody That Supplements Magnesium Glycinate And Especially To Dan Of Toxinless.com

Dan W

tara said:
Do you know what proportion of PureBulk's mag. glycinate is actually mag. oxide?
If I did my math correctly (and assuming there's negligible water content), it's about 9% magnesium oxide. But because magnesium oxide is so magnesium-dense, it would account for about 30% of the magnesium content.

tara

Dan Wich said:
tara said:
Do you know what proportion of PureBulk's mag. glycinate is actually mag. oxide?
If I did my math correctly (and assuming there's negligible water content), it's about 9% magnesium oxide. But because magnesium oxide is so magnesium-dense, it would account for about 30% of the magnesium content.
Ta. Not quite what I would have chosen, but not enough of a problem to stop me using the stocks I've got.

Mastemah

Plenty of people get progesterone through customs if the order is small enough. Order it direct from Kenogen

amethyst

Perhaps you should add Magnesium L-Threonate to your list. I haven't tried it but according to Dr. Mercola who sells it, claims it "crosses the blood-brain barrier and penetrates cell membranes." He claims it is better than magnesium glycinate, as far as absorption goes. Depending on where you stand with Dr. Mercola's information, it might be another good magnesium to try.

Frankdee20

See I knew it ! I've taken the Magnesium Glycinate by Pure Encapsulations before, good product but expensive. Im currently using Doctors Best Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate powder Albion. It really isn't as potent, perhaps it's the Oxide reduced absorption. Once I finish it, I'm going back to the Chloride liquid, nothing compares ! I do like the extra Glycine from Amino bonded minerals but **** it.

yerrag

This is why i say the future belongs to auto-production; we should produce ourselves our own progesterone, Vit E, etc...
On your cue, I started looking into this idea, Based on the balanced equation I got from webqc.org, the other reactant to glycine needed to make magnesium glycinate is (surprise, surprise) magnesium oxide. The reaction is as follows:

MgO + 2C2H5NO2 -> C4H8MgN2O4 + H2O + 1.24 x 10^-16 CO2

or

Magnesium Oxide + 2 Glycine -> Magnesium Glycinate + Water + 1.24x10^-16 CO2

I just don't understand why there is an infinitesimal amount of CO2 as a byproduct.

Since water is often a carrier for reactions, and knowing magnesium oxide and water produce magnesium hydroxide, I decide to try magnesium hydroxide to replace magnesium oxide, hence the reaction:

Mg(OH)2 + C2H5NO2 = C4H8MgN2O4+H2O

While it looks good on paper, it doesn't say under what conditions the reaction is to be carried out. Since I don't have glycine on hand, I could not try this out. Yesterday I tried making magnesium taurate mixing magnesium hydroxide with taurine in water, but it didn't react well, as evidenced by solid sediments even after shaking an sitting for a while. I imagine it won't be a slamdunk with glycine either, but who knows? But they're both chelates, and I'm not a chemist. What's needed to be done for chelates to be reactive? Perhaps @Captain_Coconut or @General Orange or @Travis could shed some light?

At any rate, it would be nice to make our own magnesium glycinate and be free from the magnesium oxide contamination.

- Magnesium oxide is still a good supplement of Mg opposed to ALBION buffered or glycinate and other chelate variants, maybe even better and cheaper.

New Data

"In this double-blind study, researchers investigated the impact of supplemental oral Mg citrate versus Mg oxide on intracellular magnesium levels ([Mg2+]i) in healthy subjects. Healthy volunteers received either magnesium oxide tablets (520 mg/day of elemental magnesium) or magnesium citrate tablets (295.8 mg/day of elemental magnesium) for one month (phase 1), followed by a four-week wash-out period, and then crossover treatment for one month (phase 2). Using new analytical techniques (x-ray dispersion analysis) results showed Mg oxide produced a [Mg2+]i level of 36.3 mEq/L vs. 35.4 mEq/L for Mg citrate and reduced total and LDL cholesterol more significantly as well. Both forms also reduced platelet aggregation"

"Since the dosage of magnesium was also greater in the Mg oxide group, what these results indicate is that MG oxide as suitable of a form of magnesium as Mg citrate when given at larger dosage levels. Approximately 500 mg of Mg oxide may be equal to 350 mg Mg citrate."
Comparison of magnesium status using X-ray dispersion analysis following magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate treatment of healthy subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

- Taking too much magnesium per meal is not effective for it's uptake and increases side effects.
- There is an limit to absorption of magnesium from the gut, per meal that is around 625mg (500 passive * 80% -> 125 active)

From Albion website:
1. Passive Paracellular non-saturable pathway is responsible for 80-90% of magnesium uptake in the intestinal tract. Driven by solvent drag and electrochemical gradient for higher magnesium loads (>250mg) it needs tight junction proteins (Claudins) to strip magnesium of its hydration shell to facilitate passive transport.

2. Active Transcellular pathway (distal intestine and colon) can transport only smaller magnesium loads (< 125-250mg) because active transporters TRPM 6 and 7 become saturated.3,4

3. De Baalj, JHF. et al;Clin Kidney J.2012;5:i15-i24
4. Bohn, T. Current Nutrition & Food Science, 2008,4

Edit: extra article link

Last edited:
On your cue, I started looking into this idea, Based on the balanced equation I got from webqc.org, the other reactant to glycine needed to make magnesium glycinate is (surprise, surprise) magnesium oxide. The reaction is as follows:

MgO + 2C2H5NO2 -> C4H8MgN2O4 + H2O + 1.24 x 10^-16 CO2

or

Magnesium Oxide + 2 Glycine -> Magnesium Glycinate + Water + 1.24x10^-16 CO2

I just don't understand why there is an infinitesimal amount of CO2 as a byproduct.

Since water is often a carrier for reactions, and knowing magnesium oxide and water produce magnesium hydroxide, I decide to try magnesium hydroxide to replace magnesium oxide, hence the reaction:

Mg(OH)2 + C2H5NO2 = C4H8MgN2O4+H2O

While it looks good on paper, it doesn't say under what conditions the reaction is to be carried out. Since I don't have glycine on hand, I could not try this out. Yesterday I tried making magnesium taurate mixing magnesium hydroxide with taurine in water, but it didn't react well, as evidenced by solid sediments even after shaking an sitting for a while. I imagine it won't be a slamdunk with glycine either, but who knows? But they're both chelates, and I'm not a chemist. What's needed to be done for chelates to be reactive? Perhaps @Captain_Coconut or @General Orange or @Travis could shed some light?

At any rate, it would be nice to make our own magnesium glycinate and be free from the magnesium oxide contamination.

I am also not a chemist, but I have played around with mag oxide a bit and have found that it acts very hydrophobically. I cannot get mag oxide powder mixed with water to become a smooth slurry like the milk of magnesia found on drugstore shelves. I think there must be some industry secret with creating milk of magnesia.... Anyway, I would try the reaction with milk of magnesia, my guess is it would work better that way.

I just found this:

Magnesium Glycinate
The ethanol solvent recovered from Example 1, approximately 80 ml, was distilled to remove any impurities and then combined with fresh ethanol to total 100 ml for this experiment. 4.0 grams (0.1 Mole) of magnesium oxide and 15 grams (0.2 Mole) of glycine were placed into a beaker provided with a reflux condenser. The 100 ml ethanol was added and the mixture was stirred and boiled at atmospheric pressure for 5 hours. The reaction mixture was then cooled, and thereafter filtered yielding 17.2 grams of magnesium glycinate having the physical characteristic of a fine white powder.”

Seems like heat and a solvent are needed to speed up the reaction....

I’d like to try this sometime as Mag Glycinate is a bit pricey. I’m not sure how one would confirm that the reaction is complete though without lab equipment... maybe measuring ph would be enough?

yerrag

Magnesium Glycinate
The ethanol solvent recovered from Example 1, approximately 80 ml, was distilled to remove any impurities and then combined with fresh ethanol to total 100 ml for this experiment. 4.0 grams (0.1 Mole) of magnesium oxide and 15 grams (0.2 Mole) of glycine were placed into a beaker provided with a reflux condenser. The 100 ml ethanol was added and the mixture was stirred and boiled at atmospheric pressure for 5 hours. The reaction mixture was then cooled, and thereafter filtered yielding 17.2 grams of magnesium glycinate having the physical characteristic of a fine white powder.”

Thanks for that. That would be only worth about 2 days consumption. Would have to scale up the batch size to make it worthwhile. 5 hours of tending to it is a long time.
I’d like to try this sometime as Mag Glycinate is a bit pricey. I’m not sure how one would confirm that the reaction is complete though without lab equipment... maybe measuring ph would be enough?
Would having a little excess of glycine help? Just to make sure all the magnesium oxide is used up.

inthedark

Thanks for that. That would be only worth about 2 days consumption. Would have to scale up the batch size to make it worthwhile. 5 hours of tending to it is a long time.
Would having a little excess of glycine help? Just to make sure all the magnesium oxide is used up.
Obviously this isn't glycinate but an ounce of regular (5% acetic acid) vinegar will dissolve around 450mg of magnesium hydroxide ( I get mine from purebulk) making magnesium acetate. I believe this ends up being app 225 mg mag per ounce of liquid -although I'm not totally sure on that part-.

yerrag

I am also not a chemist, but I have played around with mag oxide a bit and have found that it acts very hydrophobically. I cannot get mag oxide powder mixed with water to become a smooth slurry like the milk of magnesia found on drugstore shelves. I think there must be some industry secret with creating milk of magnesia.... Anyway, I would try the reaction with milk of magnesia, my guess is it would work better that way.

I just found this:

Magnesium Glycinate

The reaction to make mag glycinate from mag hydroxide and glycine should be corrected to be:

Mg(OH)2 + 2 C2H5NO2 = C4H8MgN2O4 + 2 H2O

@Captain_Coconut I'm thinking that we don't need the condenser at all. We're not really making magnesium glycinate powder, are we? If we can just mix magnesium oxide (or magnesium hydroxide) and glycine in ethanol, and then heat long enough, we would end up with a magnesium glycinate solution in an ethanol base.

If I wanted a better taste, I could substitue vodka for alcohol.

What do you think could be wrong with this idea?

Amazoniac

On spotting:

Does Your Magnesium Glycinate Contain Magnesium Oxide? | AOR

"One of the most popular forms is magnesium glycinate. Recently, I have noticed that several magnesium glycinate products claim to contain 200mg of elemental magnesium. We obviously want higher amounts of elemental magnesium but this immediately raised some red flags because dosage calculations just don’t add up. As you can see in the above chart, the percent of elemental magnesium for magnesium glycinate is 11-14%. If you consider that the maximum you can fit into the standard capsule (largest 00 veggie cap) is 850mg, this means the maximum elemental magnesium would be 100-120mg."

baccheion

If an Albion/TRAACS-based magnesium product says buffered, then it's mixed with magnesium oxide.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals