Tips On Snoring

InChristAlone

I had to sleep in the other room from my partner because of his snoring. He finally got a CPAP machine and his snoring nearly completely STOPPED, he still snores a bit towards morning sometimes which was always his problem that he couldn't sleep in the morning hrs due to waking himself up snoring. I think it's stress, serotonin, mouth breathing, fat neck, his airway is just too obstructed. Tilting the bed helped before we got the cpap, but it wasn't enough to stop the obstruction. He says he feels so much better too. Have someone watch you snore, if they see any retraction in your chest that's a sign its caused by obstruction.

OP
ecstatichamster
You all keep equating snoring to apnea. I do not have apnea. I am 100% positive.

Apnea is PROTECTIVE anyway unless it is severe. CPAP machines are dangerous and I would never use one even if I did have apnea.

I snore. I like Boris’s ideas and will try to implement. When I fall asleep I’m relaxing muscles that cause the noise. It reduces breathing and that has a benefit too, and it may be a part of it, probably is.

InChristAlone

You all keep equating snoring to apnea. I do not have apnea. I am 100% positive.

Apnea is PROTECTIVE anyway unless it is severe. CPAP machines are dangerous and I would never use one even if I did have apnea.

I snore. I like Boris’s ideas and will try to implement. When I fall asleep I’m relaxing muscles that cause the noise. It reduces breathing and that has a benefit too, and it may be a part of it, probably is.
I never said you have it, I said have someone watch you at night, particularly the chest area. Have them look up videos of obstructive breathing causing retracting in the chest and it will confirm it. If not then fine no harm done. My partner never stopped breathing, his snoring was super loud I just thought he needed to keep his mouth shut but that didn't fix it. He also used nasal expanders to try to keep his airway more open, he was almost forced to use them it was so bad. I didn't want him to have to use a CPAP I figured there was no way it could stop the snoring, but it did! I'm still hesitant to sleep next to him though. Why would a CPAP be dangerous if someone is literally not getting enough air? That can reduce the quality of your life substantially. I agree that retracted jaw can cause snoring. But AGGA doesn't work for everyone I've been following the group for it as I am TMJ sufferer (that also has to tape my mouth at night otherwise wake up struggling for air) and not everyone is seeing the results they wanted and 10K plus the uncomfortable appliances is not exactly my idea of a good treatment. Mewing seemed to worsen my TMJ, I never had jaw pain til I started mewing and mouth taping. But then again I don't snore so can't really say what it does for that.

OP
ecstatichamster
CPAP increases hyperventilation which destroys the body’s CO2 levels and shortens lifespan.

I keep saying this. Sleep apnea is protective unless it is severe. I think even then it is protective but people with severe apnea have by definition very serious health problems.

Sleep Apnea as an Independent Risk Factor for All-Cause Mortality: The Busselton Health Study

Background:

Previously published cohort studies in clinical populations have suggested that obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a risk factor for mortality associated with cardiovascular disease. However, it is unknown whether sleep apnea is an independent risk factor for all-cause mortality in a community-based sample free from clinical referral bias.

Methods:
Residents of the Western Australian town of Busselton underwent investigation with a home sleep apnea monitoring device (MESAM IV). OSA was quantified via the respiratory disturbance index (RDI). Mortality status was determined in 397/400 participants (99.3%) after up to 14 years (mean follow-up 13.4 years) by data matching with the Australian National Death Index and the Western Australian Death Register. Univariate analyses and multivariate Cox proportional hazards modelling were used to ascertain the association between sleep apnea and mortality after adjustment for age, gender, body mass index, mean arterial pressure, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, diabetes, and medically diagnosed angina in those free from heart attack or stroke at baseline (n = 380).

Results:
Among the 380 participants, 18 had moderate-severe OSA (RDI ≥15/hr, 6 deaths) and 77 had mild OSA (RDI 5 to <15/hr, 5 deaths). Moderate-to-severe OSA was independently associated with greater risk of all-cause mortality (fully adjusted hazard ratio
= 6.24, 95% CL 2.01, 19.39) than non-OSA (n = 285, 22 deaths). Mild OSA (RDI 5 to <15/hr) was not an independent risk factor for higher mortality (HR = 0.47, 95% CL 0.17, 1.29).

Conclusions:
Moderate-to-severe sleep apnea is independently associated with a large increased risk of all-cause mortality in this community-based sample.

—-

Note the bolded text (my bolding) — mild apnea shows a huge reduction in risk...there are MANY studies like this.

https://id.elsevier.com/ACW/?return...253D%26ORIGIN%3D622937215%26RD%3DRD&code=null

Background
The effect of obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea as a cardiovascular risk factor and the potential protective effect of its treatment with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is unclear. We did an observational study to compare incidence of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events in simple snorers, patients with untreated obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea, patients treated with CPAP, and healthy men recruited from the general population.

Methods

We recruited men with obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea or simple snorers from a sleep clinic, and a population-based sample of healthy men, matched for age and body-mass index with the patients with untreated severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea. The presence and severity of the disorder was determined with full polysomnography, and the apnoea-hypopnoea index (AHI) was calculated as the average number of apnoeas and hypopnoeas per hour of sleep. Participants were followed-up at least once per year for a mean of 10·1 years (SD 1·6) and CPAP compliance was checked with the built-in meter. Endpoints were fatal cardiovascular events (death from myocardial infarction or stroke) and non-fatal cardiovascular events (non-fatal myocardial infarction, non-fatal stroke, coronary artery bypass surgery, and percutaneous transluminal coronary angiography).

Findings

264 healthy men, 377 simple snorers, 403 with untreated mild-moderate obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea, 235 with untreated severe disease, and 372 with the disease and treated with CPAP were included in the analysis. Patients with untreated severe disease had a higher incidence of fatal cardiovascular events (1·06 per 100 person-years) and non-fatal cardiovascular events (2·13 per 100 person-years) than did untreated patients with mild-moderate disease (0·55, p=0·02 and 0·89, p<0·0001), simple snorers (0·34, p=0·0006 and 0·58, p<0·0001), patients treated with CPAP (0·35, p=0·0008 and 0·64, p<0·0001), and healthy participants (0·3, p=0·0012 and 0·45, p<0·0001). Multivariate analysis, adjusted for potential confounders, showed that untreated severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea significantly increased the risk of fatal (odds ratio 2·87, 95%CI 1·17–7·51) and non-fatal (3·17, 1·12–7·51) cardiovascular events compared with healthy participants.
Interpretation
In men, severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea significantly increases the risk of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events. CPAP treatment reduces this risk.

OP
ecstatichamster
Error - Cookies Turned Off

Background Although mortality risk associated with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) tends to disappear from the age of 50, it has been suggested that OSA treatment by continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) improves survival even in older subjects. Life expectancy of subjects with several diseases is worse if OSA coexists. The objectives of this study were to evaluate the relevance of comorbidities in the relationship between OSA and mortality, and in the effect of CPAP on survival, in subjects ≥ 50 years old.

Methods Data from 810 patients studied by polysomnography for suspected OSA between 1991 and 2000 were retrospectively evaluated. In 2009, state of survival and use of CPAP were enquired. Three hundred and thirteen subjects were < 50 and 497 were ≥ 50 years at diagnosis.

Results Age and comorbidities, but not apnoea/hypopnoea index (AHI) or lowest nocturnal arterial oxygen saturation (Nadir SaO2), predicted mortality in the whole sample. Nadir SaO2 was related to mortality among the younger subjects without comorbidities (P = 0·01), but not among the older subjects. In the older patients with an AHI > 30 CPAP treatment was associated with a better survival only if comorbidities coexisted.

Conclusions Unlike in younger subjects, in subjects ≥ 50 years old, comorbidities do not mask an effect of OSA on mortality. Among OSA subjects ≥ 50 years old, comorbidities could separate those who may expect an improvement in survival with CPAP treatment from those who may not. Possibly, after the age of 50, OSA per se does not affect survival, but worsens prognosis of subjects with coexisting diseases.

InChristAlone

CPAP increases hyperventilation which destroys the body’s CO2 levels and shortens lifespan.

I keep saying this. Sleep apnea is protective unless it is severe. I think even then it is protective but people with severe apnea have by definition very serious health problems.

Sleep Apnea as an Independent Risk Factor for All-Cause Mortality: The Busselton Health Study

Background:

Previously published cohort studies in clinical populations have suggested that obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a risk factor for mortality associated with cardiovascular disease. However, it is unknown whether sleep apnea is an independent risk factor for all-cause mortality in a community-based sample free from clinical referral bias.

Methods:
Residents of the Western Australian town of Busselton underwent investigation with a home sleep apnea monitoring device (MESAM IV). OSA was quantified via the respiratory disturbance index (RDI). Mortality status was determined in 397/400 participants (99.3%) after up to 14 years (mean follow-up 13.4 years) by data matching with the Australian National Death Index and the Western Australian Death Register. Univariate analyses and multivariate Cox proportional hazards modelling were used to ascertain the association between sleep apnea and mortality after adjustment for age, gender, body mass index, mean arterial pressure, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, diabetes, and medically diagnosed angina in those free from heart attack or stroke at baseline (n = 380).

Results:
Among the 380 participants, 18 had moderate-severe OSA (RDI ≥15/hr, 6 deaths) and 77 had mild OSA (RDI 5 to <15/hr, 5 deaths). Moderate-to-severe OSA was independently associated with greater risk of all-cause mortality (fully adjusted hazard ratio
= 6.24, 95% CL 2.01, 19.39) than non-OSA (n = 285, 22 deaths). Mild OSA (RDI 5 to <15/hr) was not an independent risk factor for higher mortality (HR = 0.47, 95% CL 0.17, 1.29).

Conclusions:
Moderate-to-severe sleep apnea is independently associated with a large increased risk of all-cause mortality in this community-based sample.

—-

Note the bolded text (my bolding) — mild apnea shows a huge reduction in risk...there are MANY studies like this.

https://id.elsevier.com/ACW/?return=https://secure.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/action/consumeSsoCookie?redirectUri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thelancet.com%2Faction%2FconsumeSharedSessionAction%3FJSESSIONID%3DaaafXjcyb5grualAutK5w%26MAID%3DZWiL7Q3HCYFhWAeF2bXl%252FA%253D%253D%26SERVER%3DWZ6myaEXBLEEYvrnizi8SQ%253D%253D%26ORIGIN%3D622937215%26RD%3DRD&code=null

Background
The effect of obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea as a cardiovascular risk factor and the potential protective effect of its treatment with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) is unclear. We did an observational study to compare incidence of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events in simple snorers, patients with untreated obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea, patients treated with CPAP, and healthy men recruited from the general population.

Methods

We recruited men with obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea or simple snorers from a sleep clinic, and a population-based sample of healthy men, matched for age and body-mass index with the patients with untreated severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea. The presence and severity of the disorder was determined with full polysomnography, and the apnoea-hypopnoea index (AHI) was calculated as the average number of apnoeas and hypopnoeas per hour of sleep. Participants were followed-up at least once per year for a mean of 10·1 years (SD 1·6) and CPAP compliance was checked with the built-in meter. Endpoints were fatal cardiovascular events (death from myocardial infarction or stroke) and non-fatal cardiovascular events (non-fatal myocardial infarction, non-fatal stroke, coronary artery bypass surgery, and percutaneous transluminal coronary angiography).

Findings

264 healthy men, 377 simple snorers, 403 with untreated mild-moderate obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea, 235 with untreated severe disease, and 372 with the disease and treated with CPAP were included in the analysis. Patients with untreated severe disease had a higher incidence of fatal cardiovascular events (1·06 per 100 person-years) and non-fatal cardiovascular events (2·13 per 100 person-years) than did untreated patients with mild-moderate disease (0·55, p=0·02 and 0·89, p<0·0001), simple snorers (0·34, p=0·0006 and 0·58, p<0·0001), patients treated with CPAP (0·35, p=0·0008 and 0·64, p<0·0001), and healthy participants (0·3, p=0·0012 and 0·45, p<0·0001). Multivariate analysis, adjusted for potential confounders, showed that untreated severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea significantly increased the risk of fatal (odds ratio 2·87, 95%CI 1·17–7·51) and non-fatal (3·17, 1·12–7·51) cardiovascular events compared with healthy participants.
Interpretation
In men, severe obstructive sleep apnoea-hypopnoea significantly increases the risk of fatal and non-fatal cardiovascular events. CPAP treatment reduces this risk.

Yeah the second study says CPAP treatment reduces the risk in severe sleep apnea. Of course mild apnea is not going to show high risk of death.

OP
ecstatichamster
Many studies show benefit of CPAP only for severe apnea. It is vastly over used and diminishes health in most people.

My dentist said it’s coming off pretty soon, maybe another month or 2! I have grown big gaps in my teeth that need to be closed with braces once the appliance comes off
Very cool. Best wishes!

Never noticed much from thiamine hydrochloride other than tiredness, but 400mg is the maximum I've used. I recall an old thread where a commenter would unblock his nose with 1500mg of thiamine plus two other supplements (aspirin and an antihistamine?) I've experienced something similar, like a cold flavoured sensation accompanied by unparalleled freeflow of oxygen through both nasal passages, which at first I attributed to swishing with xylitol after meals, but now am considering to have possibly been caused by benfotiamine.

The ease with which methylene blue allows me to breathe and fall asleep cannot be compared with benfotiamine. That stuff is a stimulant. With MB I never awaken gasping for air and am more refreshed the next day. I have large and growing lats, delts, triceps, and neck, so it's possible that those were worsening sleep quality over the years.
Interesting. Thanks. I think I'll try MB in the near future then. I had never thought about muscles getting in the way of breathing, but if they are large, then I can see them adding some extra load to the muscles involved in breathing.

OP
ecstatichamster
last night I discovered something, to be confirmed.

I directed an electric fan on my face and snored far less. The least I've snored, with less "epic" snoring according to Snore Lab.

Lejeboca

I directed an electric fan on my face and snored far less. The least I've snored, with less "epic" snoring according to Snore Lab.

This is a bit unexpected to me. (Are you sure the Snore Lab doesn't pick up the noise from electric fan as a snore-noise canceling occurrence, like a white noise :): .)

I am saying this because, from my experience, I snore less with warmer temperatures rather than colder ones. Perhaps, because warmer air passes freer though my nose.

Recently, now when ambient temps are cooler, I've gotten into a habit of sleeping with a surgical mask. This increases my CO2 intake and warms the inhaled air. I feel that I snore less or not at all now, which was confirmed by a roommate couple of times. I don't have a devise or app to measure the level of snoring, however.

Very cool. Best wishes!

Interesting. Thanks. I think I'll try MB in the near future then. I had never thought about muscles getting in the way of breathing, but if they are large, then I can see them adding some extra load to the muscles involved in breathing.

Sleep apnea is a common problem in the bodybuilding, olympic lifting, powerlifting, and strongman communities.

InChristAlone

That's basically a very mild CPAP experiment. All I know is my husband is waking up rested for the first time in years, that's got to be a positive thing.

olive

How big are you? For me, the larger I grow the worse my snoring becomes - many other report the same. Avoiding food near bed also helps alleviate snoring in my experience.

OP
ecstatichamster
This is a bit unexpected to me. (Are you sure the Snore Lab doesn't pick up the noise from electric fan as a snore-noise canceling occurrence, like a white noise :): .)

I am saying this because, from my experience, I snore less with warmer temperatures rather than colder ones. Perhaps, because warmer air passes freer though my nose.

Recently, now when ambient temps are cooler, I've gotten into a habit of sleeping with a surgical mask. This increases my CO2 intake and warms the inhaled air. I feel that I snore less or not at all now, which was confirmed by a roommate couple of times. I don't have a devise or app to measure the level of snoring, however.

I'll try it tonight. Yes i am sure. The mask idea is a good one.

Vinny

Vinny

Beastmode

3 Nights in a row with the nose strip and my wife says there's little to no snoring from me :)

I've felt a bit more rested with it on so overall that's a good sign.

ReSTART

How is sleep apnea protective?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals