Tips On How To Quiet The Mind

johnsmith

What contributes to having a noisy or quiet mind?

Are there biological shortcuts that would achieve similar things as meditation and vipassana retreats?

I have a feeling that Ray Peat paints pictures here and there to exercise aspects of his psyche that aren't of the thinking mind.

mrchibbs

What contributes to having a noisy or quiet mind?

Are there biological shortcuts that would achieve similar things as meditation and vipassana retreats?

I have a feeling that Ray Peat paints pictures here and there to exercise aspects of his psyche that aren't of the thinking mind.

That's exactly what he's doing, he calls it "getting out of the words".

And I know it's an easy answer but when thyroid function is high, the mind is usually calm.

Korven

:rightagain2

You can't really 'stop thinking' by force, you can only shift your conscious attention to something better = the present moment... painting seems like a great way to do just that.

I would like to start painting as well but have no clue what things to buy/get started with, nailing difficult guitar parts works to get me into a zen like state. Paying full attention to whatever you're doing, focusing on sensory perceptions of feeling, looking and hearing. Being out in nature.

I think this state of mind is associated with high GABA so maybe something like taurine would work seeing as it's a GABA agonist. Keeping a clean gut, avoiding starchy foods, probably helps as well.

lampofred

Clean gut, high blood sugar, enough protein especially gelatin, adequate vitamin D, etc.

Quieting the mind is pretty complex.

Melekai

Energizer

Meditation (breathing less), drawing, painting, doing something which is highly stimulating and demands your full focus (flow state), doing creative activities in general which depend on your visualization and exercise your imaginative capabilities.