Tips on how to care for an extracted wisdom tooth socket?

Josh

Went to the dentist today to get a filling for a cavity on a molar and on a wisdom tooth, the dentist started drilling the wisdom tooth and then realised that the decay was so bad (it had a large hollow part to it and it was messed up overall, i actually saw the tooth) that it was beyond repairable and so we decided to extract instead (I never normally do ANYTHING like this without researching but i think if the decay is that bad and it’s not repairable it’s best to get it out asap to avoid future infections/potential abceseses etc, i did hear something about how they play a role in jaw development, i am 22 now and i just thought i had no choice really, it was the upper right wisdom tooth so hopefully does not have as much of an impact as what a lower wisdom tooth would have done)

Any tips on how to avoid complications moving forward? Avoiding dry socket, proper recovery etc? I know to avoid suction, avoid eating solid foods for a bit and let the blood clot, i’ve been told to not swish with anything for the first 24 hours and then to swish with salt water the next day.

Please don’t come to this post explaining why i shouldn’t have done it because it’s obviously too late now, i guess it probably has un wanted effects but so does leaving a seriously decayed tooth in your mouth.

mostlylurking

Extraction is best over root canal. I assume the dentist reamed the socket all around so that there is fresh healthy material to grow back to fill the socket? Keep that blood plug in there at all costs; you don't want a dry socket.

I found out that the corresponding lower tooth that touched the missing tooth when your mouth is closed will grow up higher because it needs that missing tooth to tell it where it belongs. My dentist solved my problem of the missing tooth by increasing the size of the crown just in front of the gap. This gave the lower tooth something to hit when I chew.

There was talk about doing a titanium implant to replace my missing tooth but I waited too long and missed the time it was possible to do. So glad I did.