Tips on how minimize fat gain with low metabolism?

FitnessMike

Hi Mike! It's me again! I always am drawn to your questions. I can tell you that any diet can make you lose weight, but at what cost is the question. Ray Peat's food recommendations are certainly not gonna work for weight loss, for people who are digging themselves out of a hole. I gained weight many time over the last 5 years just eating Ray Peat's recommended foods, without knowing more of what he said about food pairings and other things. The biggest advice I can give you that works for me is pairing fats with nonfat. That means the stroganoff meatballs I just ate got paired with nonfat milk. My whole raw milk gets paired with nonfat things like shrimp, fruit or a spoonful of raw honey. Enjoy everthing in smaller amounts too. If I want to eat a bunch of something I eat it twice rather than all in one sitting. Ray Peat says if your body has too much at once to process it will store some as fat.

"Small meals help to increase the metabolic rate, single big meals increase fat storage." -Ray Peat

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Hi Mike! It's me again! I always am drawn to your questions. I can tell you that any diet can make you lose weight, but at what cost is the question. Ray Peat's food recommendations are certainly not gonna work for weight loss, for people who are digging themselves out of a hole. I gained weight many time over the last 5 years just eating Ray Peat's recommended foods, without knowing more of what he said about food pairings and other things. The biggest advice I can give you that works for me is pairing fats with nonfat. That means the stroganoff meatballs I just ate got paired with nonfat milk. My whole raw milk gets paired with nonfat things like shrimp, fruit or a spoonful of raw honey. Enjoy everthing in smaller amounts too. If I want to eat a bunch of something I eat it twice rather than all in one sitting. Ray Peat says if your body has too much at once to process it will store some as fat.

"Small meals help to increase the metabolic rate, single big meals increase fat storage." -Ray Peat
thanks sis

pushkin

this is really helpful thank you @Rinse & rePeat I have read your other posts on losing fat and they have been really inspirational to me. After 6 weeks of changing my diet to incorporate more peat stuff, I have put on weight but my body has really changed - I am the heaviest I have ever been at 51 (excluding the last months of pregnancy) and I have regained lots of muscle everywhere evenly. I had belly fat and no muscle before being diagnosed for low thyroid but I weighed much less. That is slowly changing so that I just look kinda muscly allover now but I am heavier, but I feel so much stronger. The only thing I do is squeeze OJ in the morning which I have noticed has got my arms toned up nicely. I get raw farm milk and don't want to change to low fat store bought milk so combining that with fruit has really been beneficial. When I have a large meal I suffer a lot from fatigue and blood sugar lows, so just little meals during the day are helping too.

K

Kaur Singh

I wonder if doing that thing of tracking water consumption vs excretion
- Peat talks about this in a KMUD interview.
it's hard to measure sweat, so maybe not during hot summer/humidity etc.-
(including the content in foods, you can calculate this with chronometer. plus the liquids ingested)
could get you an idea of how many calories you are burning

and then you can use that to adjust caloric intake.

so that you can match it more or less
and then as your metabolic rate (hopefully) increases,
you can increase your intake.

I'm waiting for summer to be over to do this,
cannot calculate how much sweat i'm producing...

this is really helpful thank you @Rinse & rePeat I have read your other posts on losing fat and they have been really inspirational to me. After 6 weeks of changing my diet to incorporate more peat stuff, I have put on weight but my body has really changed - I am the heaviest I have ever been at 51 (excluding the last months of pregnancy) and I have regained lots of muscle everywhere evenly. I had belly fat and no muscle before being diagnosed for low thyroid but I weighed much less. That is slowly changing so that I just look kinda muscly allover now but I am heavier, but I feel so much stronger. The only thing I do is squeeze OJ in the morning which I have noticed has got my arms toned up nicely. I get raw farm milk and don't want to change to low fat store bought milk so combining that with fruit has really been beneficial. When I have a large meal I suffer a lot from fatigue and blood sugar lows, so just little meals during the day are helping too.

I am so happy to hear someone else is losing fat and not pounds! Only in the last month have I worked on getting in my vitamin C in the first half of the day. I could never do that before because I was eating my meat, liver and seafood during the day and I didn't want the iron issues. So now I don't eat solid food for breakfast or lunch and focus on the milk and fruits and I have a lot more energy than the "a lot" I already had. Thanks for your inspirational story too lulu! Being strong in our 50's looks AND feels much younger than being frail and skinny.

pushkin

I am so happy to hear someone else is losing fat and not pounds! Only in the last month have I worked on getting in my vitamin C in the first half of the day. I could never do that before because I was eating my meat, liver and seafood during the day and I didn't want the iron issues. So now I don't eat solid food for breakfast or lunch and focus on the milk and fruits and I have a lot more energy than the "a lot" I already had. Thanks for your inspirational story too lulu! Being strong in our 50's looks AND feels much younger than being frail and skinny.
you mean vit C through your OJ? so did you move eggs to the afternoon too - if you ever had them for breakfast? and you now have fruit and milk in the morning - that is interesting, I will have to remember that - I often struggle with breakfast as I like a smoothie but find it really hard to warm up when I drink that in the morning so I have been eating eggs. One thing I am working on is my morning temps as they take forever to reach 37c - perhaps swapping around my meals like you did maybe the key!

you mean vit C through your OJ? so did you move eggs to the afternoon too - if you ever had them for breakfast? and you now have fruit and milk in the morning - that is interesting, I will have to remember that - I often struggle with breakfast as I like a smoothie but find it really hard to warm up when I drink that in the morning so I have been eating eggs. One thing I am working on is my morning temps as they take forever to reach 37c - perhaps swapping around my meals like you did maybe the key!

So I cut out the egg whites. I know they can be inflammatory and I feel better without them. Not to say I wouldn't eat a couple scrambled for dinner, but i am just not eating them daily. I drink lattes in the mornings with milk and sugar, then i juice some oranges. Then i might have a raw yolk egg "Flip" or custard, then a tall glass of 2% milk. I end up with my first sold food meal around 3:00 or even 4:00, and at that I am not even hungy. I just have the early evening meal, and maybe a small bowl of my homemade ice cream later if I get hungry. Having the milk mingling with solid foods seemed to slow digestion and was bloating. My stomach stays flatter separating milk far away from sold food.

pushkin

So I cut out the egg whites. I know they can be inflammatory and I feel better without them. Not to say I wouldn't eat a couple scrambled for dinner, but i am just not eating them daily. I drink lattes in the mornings with milk and sugar, then i juice some oranges. Then i might have a raw yolk egg "Flip" or custard, then a tall glass of 2% milk. I end up with my first sold food meal around 3:00 or even 4:00, and at that I am not even hungy. I just have the early evening meal, and maybe a small bowl of my homemade ice cream later if I get hungry. Having the milk mingling with solid foods seemed to slow digestion and was bloating. My stomach stays flatter separating milk far away from sold food.
wow that is great, thank you so much, I didn't realise that the mixing of the food itself was so very important - I am still on a huge experimentation curve right now, but this gives me hope that the fine tuning will be worth it! I think I will follow your advice re the eggs and prob have them later on in the day. I made some baked custard this evening ready for tomorrow morning, I will see how I get on with that. What do you do with the egg whites you don't eat? I would hate to throw them away - I already grind and eat the egg shells for the calcium

wow that is great, thank you so much, I didn't realise that the mixing of the food itself was so very important - I am still on a huge experimentation curve right now, but this gives me hope that the fine tuning will be worth it! I think I will follow your advice re the eggs and prob have them later on in the day. I made some baked custard this evening ready for tomorrow morning, I will see how I get on with that. What do you do with the egg whites you don't eat? I would hate to throw them away - I already grind and eat the egg shells for the calcium

I know I hate throwing them away. Back in the day that would be an angel food cake, but now my health and flat somach has to come first. Maybe we can freeze them and give them to the keto people? My sister-in-law is low carb maybe I will ask if I freeze them if she wants them?

People think Ray Peat's recommendation for high amounts of calcium and protein is so odd, but even the mainstream medical science is now agreeing.

"But paying attention to what you eat isn't only about controlling weight; the need for certain vitamins and minerals increases with age. One is calcium, necessary to protect bones. Another is B12, since some older adults make less of the stomach acid required to absorb the vitamin. More vitamin D also is required. "The skin gets less efficient at converting sunlight into this vitamin, so more is needed from other sources," Lichtenstein says. Fewer than 7 percent of Americans between ages 50 and 70 get enough vitamin D from the foods they eat, and fewer than 26 percent get enough calcium."

In the link above it goes on to mirror what Ray Peat says about having sugar and fats together......

"Eating right and staying lean are both crucial for maintaining health throughout the years. Carrying an extra 20 or 30 pounds with you into old age doesn't bode well for attempts to head off the myriad diseases that strike in midlife and later and are linked to weight—including diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. If weight is a problem, it is especially important to limit processed foods that combine sugar and fat. Studies with rats indicate that when the two are added to chow, animals can't easily stop eating, says Kessler."

The above coincides with what Ray Peat has said....

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes." -Ray Peat

This Ray Peat quote was a further game changer for me. Having my fats away from sugars have kept me from mysteriously gaining weight here and there. No wonder regular ice cream is good for gaining weight.

pushkin

In the link above it goes on to mirror what Ray Peat says about having sugar and fats together......

"Eating right and staying lean are both crucial for maintaining health throughout the years. Carrying an extra 20 or 30 pounds with you into old age doesn't bode well for attempts to head off the myriad diseases that strike in midlife and later and are linked to weight—including diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, and some forms of cancer. If weight is a problem, it is especially important to limit processed foods that combine sugar and fat. Studies with rats indicate that when the two are added to chow, animals can't easily stop eating, says Kessler."

The above coincides with what Ray Peat has said....

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes." -Ray Peat

This Ray Peat quote was a further game changer for me. Having my fats away from sugars have kept me from mysteriously gaining weight here and there. No wonder regular ice cream is good for gaining weight.
thank you that is great advice!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals