Tinnitus?

Lianda

I have tinnitus in my right ear, and less in my left for about a year. It's a constant high pitched and lower pitched tone in my head that sometimes even feels like pressure. Does anyone have it, have any experience with it, any ideas how to lessen or get rid of it?

Thanks for any suggestions-

poilochio

I have tinnitus in my right ear, and less in my left for about a year. It's a constant high pitched and lower pitched tone in my head that sometimes even feels like pressure. Does anyone have it, have any experience with it, any ideas how to lessen or get rid of it?

Hi Linda

My Girlfriend has had it for about 5 Months now (i posted about it) after major stress with her teenage daughter and School/work Deadlines

She has only had success with akkupunktur and some days especially right after akkupunktur it is very low and almost non existent. She has not tryed specific supplements yet..but There are some Posts in here about different approaches exmpl. Lidocaine and other supplements.

Sucrates

If you're taking aspirin, that could be the cause. If there's pressure then it might indicate something like meniere's disease, which is probably viral, do a search for meniere's +John of Ohio/monolaurin/aciclovir/valaciclovir. I'm not sure how safe the last two antivirals are, the JOH protocol and/or monolaurin can be effective for meniere's.

Ray has said;

Endotoxin can produce those effects. Keeping the digestive system free of inflammation often helps, and a daily raw carrot is sometimes enough, sometimes a supplement of thyroid or progesterone helps. The endogenous opioids can have one-sided effects, and they are increased by endotoxin. Having well cooked mushrooms every day, and avoiding green salads, unsaturated fats, grains and beans are other helpful things. A supplement of niacinamide and other B vitamins sometimes helps.

Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2013 Jan;51(1):5-11.

The effect of naltrexone on the perception and distress in tinnitus: an open-label pilot study.

Vanneste S(1), Azevedo A, De Ridder D.

(1)Brai²n, Tinnitus Research Initiative Clinic, University Hospital Antwerp,

Edegem, Belgium. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Tinnitus is a perceived sensation of sound without actual acoustic

stimulation. Currently there are no standardized drug therapies for the treatment

of tinnitus patients. A potential novel treatment for chronic tinnitus is

naltrexone. Tinnitus can be considered an auditory phantom phenomenon similar to

phantom pain. Naltrexone acts predominantly on μ-opioid receptors which are

present in multiple areas of the brain, including the thalamus, dorsal part of

the anterior cingulate, insula, amygdala, nucleus accumbens, and ventromedial to

orbitofrontal cortex. These areas overlap with the areas involved in

tinnitus-related distress. The aim of the present study is to investigate three

doses of naltrexone, namely 5, 12.5, and 50 mg and determine their influence on

tinnitus complaints. We conducted a 4-week single-center, open-label treatment

study.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: 86 patients received the drug treatment, while 30 patients

received no treatment.

RESULTS: Overall tinnitus distress was significantly reduced for the drug

treatment group, while for the waiting control group this was not the case. No

significant effect could be obtained for tinnitus intensity. A closer look at the

data indicates that this effect is mainly generated due to a significant

difference in the 50 mg drug treatment group for tinnitus distress.

CONCLUSION: our results indicate that naltrexone might have an effect on tinnitus

distress and more particularly higher doses of naltrexone.

beanie

It is probably something in your diet. Do you read labels? It might be MSG toxicity or artificial sweeteners like aspartame or sucralose. MSG is not always labeled so. You need to educate yourself on it so you know what to look for. Free glutamate is naturally occurring and similar to MSG. You are probably one of those individuals who are especially sensitive to it or you are ingesting too much of it. I bet if you really take a hard look at everything you are eating and clean up your diet, your tinnitus will go away. Good luck!

Makrosky

I also have tinnitus.... And I'm wondering if high glutamate content of gelatin/collagen could be the cause ? I eat a tablespoon of it a day....

Gl;itch.e

Vitamin K pretty much abolished it in me. I had a really annoying case from playing in a band without hearing protection. It hung around for ages but disappeared fairly quickly when I started supplementing with vitamin K.

Can confirm that aspirin will often bring it back if I take it too regularly without any extra vitamin K.

beanie

I also have tinnitus.... And I'm wondering if high glutamate content of gelatin/collagen could be the cause ? I eat a tablespoon of it a day....
Hi Makrosky, I definitely think this could be the cause for you. 1 tbsp every day can build up over time, and the tinnitus might be a reaction to it. I would take a break for a few weeks and see if the tinnitus goes away. I would also consider taking a break from your other supplements that contain any free glutamate ingredients (probably all of them.) Also, read all your food labels and question every ingredient. Don't consume anything with "natural flavors". They are anything but natural and probably contain MSG. Google free glutamate/MSG and familiarize yourself with hidden names for them. Also, just because a product advertises "no MSG added" doesn't mean it doesn't contain naturally occurring free glutamate. You may want to experiment with a short-term glutamate-free diet, but it is very challenging. It will let you know pretty quickly though if you are sensitive to it.

Also, I have read that cream of tartar neutralizes the toxic effects of MSG. Cream of tartar stabilizes your body by forming an alkaline environment and raising your pH, thus mitigating MSG headaches, allergies, and the like. Take a teaspoon mixed with 8 oz of water if you want to try it. I have also read that Taurine, CoQ10 and B6 can help with MSG/free glutamate toxicity, but you have to check the ingredients in the supplements to make sure you aren't ingesting more free-glutamate.

Also, in general, I recommend trying to find the causes for things rather than just trying random supplements that have worked for other people, (ie Vitamin K supplementation, etc). You need to really research your supplements and understand how they work, and make sure you are not creating new problems for yourself. Short-term supplementation is probably okay while you search for the cause, but don't just give up on finding the cause because a supplement works.

Keep us posted. I hope this is the answer for you!

Last edited:

Atalanta

Vitamin K pretty much abolished it in me. I had a really annoying case from playing in a band without hearing protection. It hung around for ages but disappeared fairly quickly when I started supplementing with vitamin K.

Can confirm that aspirin will often bring it back if I take it too regularly without any extra vitamin K.

What form of Vitamin K did you take? What was the dosage and how long did you take it?

OP
Lianda

Lianda

I eat mostly organic foods, rarely eat out. One of my doctors prescribed LDN (low dose naltrexone) for my Hashimoto's dx- vitamin regime includes Vit K complex, Taurine, CoQ10 and magnesium malate/glycinate. I've tried (not for too long a time yet) Helichrysum essential oil on a cotton ball in my ear... I meditate, and in fact use focus on the sounds for my meditative method, practice yoga. Sometimes it almost feels like a "pressure". The sounds I hear are tones at different frequencies- thankfully, my hearing has not been negatively impacted.

And I have ALWAYS been very careful about wearing earplugs at noisy concerts and places where the sound is very loud.

I recently read that someone was using a laser treatment - but it was very expensive and took years....

I am trying to convince myself that I'm hearing my body's vibration. and there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

loess

I've had tinnitus since I was 19 years old. Multiple frequencies in both ears. I think it developed mostly as a result of coming home from school in my teens and practicing and playing drums with my headphones on at full blast for hours on end. I saw a lot of live music standing very close to the PA system without earplug protection.

I don't think I will ever fully rid myself of the ringing but it is interesting to observe how the intensity and volume can fluctuate and it seems to have a lot to do with digestion and inflammation. If I drink too much OJ and/or milk at once that excacerbates it. The nightly rise of cortisol triggers it and getting fuel in me helps calm it back down. I regularly supplement vitamin K and have observed no changes there.

WestCoaster

Did you ever get checked for ear wax? I thought I had Tinnitus for the longest time only to find out it was ear wax in there causing the issue. Once removed the ringing stopped.

Gl;itch.e

I have used both the life extention and thorne liquid vitamin k. I had my best results when using the thorne stuff. I think I was doing about 5 drops a day at the time the tinnitus was resolved. Not sure how long it took I just noticed one day that the ringing that had been bothering my incessantly just wasn't there anymore. I guess it was gradual and I just didn't notice it slowly leaving. Would have been a month or two as the thorne liquid k lasted for awhile

beanie

I eat mostly organic foods, rarely eat out. One of my doctors prescribed LDN (low dose naltrexone) for my Hashimoto's dx- vitamin regime includes Vit K complex, Taurine, CoQ10 and magnesium malate/glycinate. I've tried (not for too long a time yet) Helichrysum essential oil on a cotton ball in my ear... I meditate, and in fact use focus on the sounds for my meditative method, practice yoga. Sometimes it almost feels like a "pressure". The sounds I hear are tones at different frequencies- thankfully, my hearing has not been negatively impacted.

And I have ALWAYS been very careful about wearing earplugs at noisy concerts and places where the sound is very loud.

I recently read that someone was using a laser treatment - but it was very expensive and took years....

I am trying to convince myself that I'm hearing my body's vibration. and there's nothing wrong with it.
Isn't tinnitus a side effect of naltrexone?

beanie

I was wondering if you are still experiencing tinnitus. I just read that tinnitus can be a symptom of iron deficiency. Have you considered this? It is very easy for women to become anemic because they lose so much blood, and often times don't eat iron rich foods. This is a very easy symptom to fix by taking iron tablets, but you have to take a lot of it over a long period of time. I once had to do this when I became very anemic.

Did you ever get checked for ear wax? I thought I had Tinnitus for the longest time only to find out it was ear wax in there causing the issue. Once removed the ringing stopped.
I know it'd been a while since you posted this but I'm desperate. How did you go about the removal? I heard some horror stories about doctors doing it and making it worse....

CaryO

In my case, I have hashimotos and when my thyroid T3 med is insufficient, I get tinnitus. When meds are increased it goes away.