Tingling Hands/feet

Luis aguilar

Hey guys

Ever since Ive upped my dose on fructose, and a bit of table sugar (Im cutting this back down) Ive noticed my hands and feet, esp the tips are always tingling and numby

Also its been harder to sleep at night
Anyway in how I can go about fixing these?

Im trying my best to become further glucose metabolic

Also what are some of the best fruits any of you would suggest to get plenty of daily carbs and if cooking fruit makes it easier to digest?

Thank you

marcar72

Anyway in how I can go about fixing these?

It could very well be that your increased fructose intake is causing a mild/chronic copper deficiency. Lately I feel that copper don't get nearly enough recognition as it should here on the Ray Peat forum.

Factor in the low copper content of dairy foods paired with the high fructose consumption of most "Ray Peat diets" and you have a real good environment for induced copper deficiency. :2cents:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Could be B1 deficiency.

somuch4food

The numbing in my big toes disappeared yesterday. I had it on and off since last year.

What I've been doing in the last few days is more oysters, 1000IU of D, some magnesium and I have been applying the D cream and the E cream from the Now brand.

Maljam

Have you ever tried testing your blood sugar with a cheap glucometer? Diabetics often have tingling in those area would be useful to rule it out.

PhilParma

I experienced this for awhile. See my thread Peripheral Neuropathy, Rapidly Receding Gums + Bloods

My numbness is 95% gone. I don't know for sure what made it go away. I do agree that it's blood sugar/hyperglycemia related. Do you take coffee or caffeine? I think what solved it for me was cutting out all caffeine. Caffeine raises free fatty acids, which interferes with glucose metabolism. Keep free fatty acids low. Maybe take biotin. Maybe aspirin.

OP
L

Luis aguilar

I experienced this for awhile. See my thread Peripheral Neuropathy, Rapidly Receding Gums + Bloods

My numbness is 95% gone. I don't know for sure what made it go away. I do agree that it's blood sugar/hyperglycemia related. Do you take coffee or caffeine? I think what solved it for me was cutting out all caffeine. Caffeine raises free fatty acids, which interferes with glucose metabolism. Keep free fatty acids low. Maybe take biotin. Maybe aspirin.
Thats interesting I always thought caffiene reduced FFA thank you for your input

Im trying to get my hands on some Aspirin/Niacinamaide

Tarmander

Have you tried alpha lipoic acid? So many good reviews on it for nerve stuff. It can cause hair shedding though

OP
L

Luis aguilar

Wow thanks marcar :)

So it seems that heavy sucrose meals depletes/utilizes copper at a much higher rate than starchy diets

This could make sense since its now day 7 of my mainly sugar/sucrose and fruit diet, low starch, and aim starting to feel adverse affects

For a couple of nights now I cannot sleep well, also my hands and feet are always tingly

How is copper important in a high fruit/sucrose diet? Believe me Im no genius.....but cytochrome c oxidase comes to mind, isnt this enzyme copper dependant?

Anyways thanks again for this Marcar, you know of any great copper sources other than grinding pennies? Jk jk :)

gately

Hey Luis, I haven’t been following along closely to your threads until now. Honestly thought you were trolling with the sugar thread at first.

What are your overall health problems / symptoms? I gather you are hypo, but what are your symptoms exactly?

Any reason you don’t eat a relatively normal human diet? Are there bad reactions to starch, etc?

OP
L

Luis aguilar

Hey Luis, I haven’t been following along closely to your threads until now. Honestly thought you were trolling with the sugar thread at first.

What are your overall health problems / symptoms? I gather you are hypo, but what are your symptoms exactly?

Any reason you don’t eat a relatively normal human diet? Are there bad reactions to starch, etc?
Yes Im hypothyroid

My heart rate per min is 70ish average

And my waking temp is 97.2 average

Also these past couple of nights my hands, and feet have been pretty tingly even from just laying down normaly and comfortably.

I havent been getting much rest either, waking up every few hours and urinating pretty much clear colored liquid.

Around 7 days back I flip flopped my main source of calories....at first the bulk of my daily cals were mostly starch, like rice and potatoes (esp rice) lil sat fats, some protein and lil bit sugar/fruit...
I then switched it, most cals are now currently from fruit/sugar, lil starch, very lil fat, some protein

Im doing this cuz Im trying to rev up my metabloism (further glucose metabolize/oxidative phosphorilation)
I heard Haidut mention that fructose helps inhibit pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase and stimulate pyruvate dehydrogenase as well as increase glycogen storage.

But after incorporating more table sugar and fructose (esp sugar) I guess I depleted alot of my bodily nutrients/vitamin resevoirs and because of this Im currently suffering from the numb extremeties and sleep deprevation
(This is my educated guess, either this or high sugar diets really do cause diabetes, yikes)

I would like my body to become further glucose metabolic, so any tips to help achieve this would be incredible :)

marcar72

For a couple of nights now I cannot sleep well,

Reduced copper availability probably down regulating your neurotransmitters in turn causing insomnia I would surmise. Copper is needed for neurotransmitters.

Anyways thanks again for this Marcar, you know of any great copper sources other than grinding pennies? Jk jk :)

Well there's liver and oysters as the two main sources of copper in most Ray Peat inspired diets. Oysters has a lot of zinc though which could reduce copper absorption in the G.I. tract so there's really only liver. I'd imagine a good amount of people avoid liver and oysters though. There is of course dark chocolate which I was trying to get by on but it wasn't cutting it. I have been eating a lot of veal liver here lately to get levels back up but probably need to back down a bit because of the vitamin A content. Liver is the most ideal source though because you need vitamin A to make ceruloplasmin. I bought a bottle of Solaray 2mg copper chelate today to help out in the short term.

gately

Yes Im hypothyroid

My heart rate per min is 70ish average

And my waking temp is 97.2 average

Also these past couple of nights my hands, and feet have been pretty tingly even from just laying down normaly and comfortably.

I havent been getting much rest either, waking up every few hours and urinating pretty much clear colored liquid.

Around 7 days back I flip flopped my main source of calories....at first the bulk of my daily cals were mostly starch, like rice and potatoes (esp rice) lil sat fats, some protein and lil bit sugar/fruit...
I then switched it, most cals are now currently from fruit/sugar, lil starch, very lil fat, some protein

Im doing this cuz Im trying to rev up my metabloism (further glucose metabolize/oxidative phosphorilation)
I heard Haidut mention that fructose helps inhibit pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase and stimulate pyruvate dehydrogenase as well as increase glycogen storage.

But after incorporating more table sugar and fructose (esp sugar) I guess I depleted alot of my bodily nutrients/vitamin resevoirs and because of this Im currently suffering from the numb extremeties and sleep deprevation
(This is my educated guess, either this or high sugar diets really do cause diabetes, yikes)

I would like my body to become further glucose metabolic, so any tips to help achieve this would be incredible :)
I’m sorry just to be clear: you weren’t having these extreme symptoms before you began eating an extreme diet, correct? You just had cold basal temp as a symptom? And then you began eating a sugar based diet to rev up your metabolism? And now you’re having new symptoms like tingling?

Just want to make sure I understand. Because I think the first step is to get off this wild rollercoaster you are on and eat a traditional and nutrient rich diet to restore you to baseline, and then if the only problem that remains is still just the hypothyroidism, you can address that in safer ways.

Last edited:

marcar72

How is copper important in a high fruit/sucrose diet?

I've read that fructose chelates copper to a certain degree making it inactive and eliminating it from the body. Sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose so there you go!! I'd suggest you Google all the info I've provided you yourself and come up with your own conclusion. :2cents:

OP
L

Luis aguilar

I’m sorry just to be clear: you weren’t having these extreme symptoms before you began eating an extreme diet, correct? You just had cold basal temp as a symptom? And then you began eating a sugar based diet to rev up your metabolism? And now you’re having new symptoms like tingling?

Just want to make sure I understand. Because I think the first step is to get off this wild rollercoaster you are on and eat a traditional and nutrient rich diet to restore you to baseline, and then if the only problem that remains is still just the hypothyroidism, you can address that in safer ways.
Yes Gately its only until I started showing down on sugar and fruits that the tingling and insomnia began

I really want to rev up my metabolism so I figured consuming mostly fructose would help

OP
L

Luis aguilar

I've read that fructose chelates copper to a certain degree making it inactive and eliminating it from the body. Sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose so there you go!! I'd suggest you Google all the info I've provided you yourself and come up with your own conclusion. :2cents:
Thanks again for all your info marcar :) learning new stuff everyday

Ill try eating more liver see how I feel of course I also better dial it down on the table sugar

gately

Yes Gately its only until I started showing down on sugar and fruits that the tingling and insomnia began

I really want to rev up my metabolism so I figured consuming mostly fructose would help

Luis, if all of these scary symptoms started when you began high sugar dieting, you should cease doing the thing that makes you feel worse. It's very important you understand that doing things which make you weak (in any sense) are not going to help you. It's really as simple as that.

If you felt better on a high fruit or sugar diet, meaning stronger, then that would indicate it was helpful in some way. But because these experiments are harming you, weakening you, you should cease them... for now.

Eat a traditional, nutrient rich diet centered around cooked starches, red meat, seafood, grass-fed butter, cheese, milk if you tolerate it, some occasional organs meats, olive oil, boiled veggies, and very small amounts of fruit from berries, some dark chocolate or some additive-free ice cream if you really crave it (should be okay as a dessert once a day.) Regardless of "nutrient density" it's also very important to eat the foods you are craving and enjoy during this time period, because that's your body's way of telling you what it needs to restore homeostasis. So if you want a bacon cheeseburger and cajun fries from Five Guys, go get one. Once you regain a semblance of balance to your physiology (and I emphasize that you pretty much need to do this because: the insanely high sugar / low nutrient density experiments you've been on have likely severely destabilized your mineral and vitamin balance,) you can then address the underlying hypothyroidism with desiccated thyroid, herbs, or other supplements (ideally natural) that don't make you feel worse. Once you've improved the condition of your thyroid, you can start experimenting with throwing sugar at the system, but right now that's like throwing rocket fuel in a Honda Civic: it's going to break the damn car.

Good luck. You're getting lots of bad advice here, and I hope you're able to sift through what's useful.

Luis, if all of these scary symptoms started when you began high sugar dieting, you should cease doing the thing that makes you feel worse. It's very important you understand that doing things which make you weak (in any sense) are not going to help you. It's really as simple as that.

If you felt better on a high fruit or sugar diet, meaning stronger, then that would indicate it was helpful in some way. But because these experiments are harming you, weakening you, you should cease them... for now.

Eat a traditional, nutrient rich diet centered around cooked starches, red meat, seafood, grass-fed butter, cheese, milk if you tolerate it, some occasional organs meats, olive oil, boiled veggies, and very small amounts of fruit from berries, some dark chocolate or some additive-free ice cream if you really crave it (should be okay as a dessert once a day.) Regardless of "nutrient density" it's also very important to eat the foods you are craving and enjoy during this time period, because that's your body's way of telling you what it needs to restore homeostasis. So if you want a bacon cheeseburger and cajun fries from Five Guys, go get one. Once you regain a semblance of balance to your physiology (and I emphasize that you pretty much need to do this because: the insanely high sugar / low nutrient density experiments you've been on have likely severely destabilized your mineral and vitamin balance,) you can then address the underlying hypothyroidism with desiccated thyroid, herbs, or other supplements (ideally natural) that don't make you feel worse. Once you've improved the condition of your thyroid, you can start experimenting with throwing sugar at the system, but right now that's like throwing rocket fuel in a Honda Civic: it's going to break the damn car.

Good luck. You're getting lots of bad advice here, and I hope you're able to sift through what's useful.

+1