Time Restricted Eating Aka Intermittent Fasting

Momado965

I came across something semi-interesting. Aside from her sugar-fat combination which is a half truth, what do you make of this?

DaveFoster

Dr. Rhonda Patrick's philosophy prioritizes self-denial in deprivation of both taste and craving.

she said the mitochondria works better when you are fasting and fasting makes metabolism faster... how is that possible considering cortisol decreases thyroid, and thyroid is what determines metabolism.. someone should ask her that, i would like to know what is her definition of metabolism, or where is she pulling this data from?

LCohen

Hypoglycemia has a lot of potential to bring up stress response (aka cortisol and adrenaline can raise, this will mess thyroid)

But whenever I go fasting my digestion improves a lot. Also you can lose weight on fasting. I also did some supplementation.

- Famotidine: increases glycogen storage, improves glucose metabolism. It's highly useful on fasting.

- Cyproheptadine: decreases hypoglycemia induced stress response.

- T4 & T3: To make sure thyroid works good.

- Ketotifen (Sometimes): Helps digestion. If you're prone to constipation.

With that way fasting is easier, less destructive for me. I'm doing it for weight loss sometimes.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

I agree on all points you all mentioned. I was in fact referring to time restricted eating. In other words, adhering to peating while using time restricted eating.

Broken man

Hypoglycemia has a lot of potential to bring up stress response (aka cortisol and adrenaline can raise, this will mess thyroid)

But whenever I go fasting my digestion improves a lot. Also you can lose weight on fasting. I also did some supplementation.

- Famotidine: increases glycogen storage, improves glucose metabolism. It's highly useful on fasting.

With that way fasting is easier, less destructive for me. I'm doing it for weight loss sometimes.
Same here.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

Same here.

I know fasting means absolute refrain from any food but I had great success using taurine, salt, and juice during a fast. I found it greatly help with weight loss and keeping weight gain at bay if any. I would go as far as saying this method changed my metabolic set point. That is not to say I no longer do a 24 hr fast when convenient.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

I have yet to try NDT and t3 and probably some dopamine 'drugs' in-conjunction with my use of juice, taurine and salt. It is a very viable way to lose fat mass, I found.

Broken man

I have yet to try NDT and t3 and probably some dopamine 'drugs' in-conjunction with my use of juice, taurine and salt. It is a very viable way to lose fat mass, I found.
If I can share some my experience, MCT oil, glycine, tyrosine, red light, digestive enzymes and cascara are great things for fat loss with good sleep and some exercise. I will do thread about my fat loss journey.

OP
Momado965

Momado965

If I can share some my experience, MCT oil, glycine, tyrosine, red light, digestive enzymes and cascara are great things for fat loss with good sleep and some exercise. I will do thread about my fat loss journey.

Nice! Do you use red light for cytochtome c oxidase activation?

lvysaur

It also lowers stomach acid though?

I feel like there are two ways to eat. First one is highly sugary/milk/liquid based, where you eat frequently, with very little animal protein (apart from milk).

Second way is meat, starch and veggie based, and you eat very sparsely, classic three meals a day.

My guess is the second way induces more fat metabolism. But losing fat is much easier on the first way. When I do the first way, I do not crave meat. When I do the second way, I do not crave milk or large amounts of sugar.

Ulysses

I practiced IF for several years, and had no idea how awful it was making me feel until I stopped.

rei

Something is wrong if you cannot comfortably go 15 hours without eating. Instead of going back on a food addiction schedule maybe it would be better to fix what is wrong?

she said the mitochondria works better when you are fasting and fasting makes metabolism faster... how is that possible considering cortisol decreases thyroid, and thyroid is what determines metabolism.. someone should ask her that, i would like to know what is her definition of metabolism, or where is she pulling this data from?

It is universally known that fasting increases your metabolic rate in the beginning and only seems to return down to baseline after several days. Before that point you should have eaten again. A healthy person does not lose thyroid function from periodic fasting, it can actually improve the function. The body NEEDS contrast to function optimally. This inculdes contrast between being anabolic and catabolic.

Hans

Forum Supporter
It is universally known that fasting increases your metabolic rate in the beginning and only seems to return down to baseline after several days.
The "increase" in metabolism is from epinephrine and not thyroid hormones so it's not really an increase in metabolism plus it's not sustainable.
A healthy person does not lose thyroid function from periodic fasting, it can actually improve the function. The body NEEDS contrast to function optimally. This inculdes contrast between being anabolic and catabolic.
Intermittent fasting lowers testosterone, thyroid and IGF-1 baseline levels. Not just acutely, but chronically.

rei

That might be true, i have not seen such studies.

But i talked about thyroid function. When you are not thyroid (or any hormone for that matter) resistant a smaller amount is enough for same effect.

Same is true with IF and insulin. Some people say it makes you insulin resistant. But truth is that less insulin is needed to take care of same amount of food, so in fact it makes you insulin sensitive if analyzed from a sane angle.

J

jb116

Yea I have time limited eating, been doing it all my life. It's called SLEEP.

If I'm awake; if I'm hungry, I eat.

Pretty simple.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals