Thyroid Tumor or Cancer

ChrisRay

Hi Everyone... Had Ultra Sound on Thyroid and they found a small mass, and the Doc's initial look at the cells made him quickly bring up that I might have to have half my Thyroid taken out.

Anyone else here have Doc experiences of wanting to remove Part or Whole of Thyroid because of mass that was found on it??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't had personal experience with this but I'm pretty sure the next step would be to have a biopsy of the mass before any definitive decision is made about removing part of your thyroid. Hopefully someone who has been through this will reply soon.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Thanks, yes, had Biopsy done, and Doc's first initial look was negative. But will get full test results Monday.

jaguar43

ChrisRay said:
post 100385 Hi Everyone... Had Ultra Sound on Thyroid and they found a small mass, and the Doc's initial look at the cells made him quickly bring up that I might have to have half my Thyroid taken out.

Anyone else here have Doc experiences of wanting to remove Part or Whole of Thyroid because of mass that was found on it??

Some types of thyroid cancer can usually be controlled by keeping TSH completely suppressed. Since TSH produces reactions in cells as different as fibroblasts and fat cells, pigment cells in the skin, mast cells and bone marrow cells (Whetsell, et al., 1999), it won't be surprising if it turns out to have a role in the development of a variety of cancers, including melanoma.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hy ... dism.shtml

I would try thyroid hormone First, and stoping all dental x-rays.

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovethesea

I agree with jag. I would be very cautious about getting the surgery. I had it done and it ended up being unnecessary, not that they will ever admit that. A study has come out that they overdiagnose "suspected" thyroid cancer and that accounts for the rise in cases. They really cannot be sure until they operate and then it is too late. I ended up only having 1/2 my thyroid removed but I sure wish I had that back! I am now sentenced to a lifetime of a ****88 up thyroid and not being able to get meds because doctors are clueless. Who knows what havoc the biopsy wreaks as well.

Read this -
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... nosis.aspx

Giraffe

Thyroid cancer survival in the United States: observational data from 1973 to 2005.

OBJECTIVE:
To compare the survival rate of people with papillary thyroid cancer limited to the thyroid gland who have not had immediate, definitive treatment for their thyroid cancer with the survival rate of those who have had such treatment.

DESIGN:
Cohort study of incident cancer cases and initial treatment data from the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program. Data on cause of death was taken from the National Vital Statistics System.

PATIENTS:
Patients with papillary thyroid cancer limited to the thyroid gland.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE:
Cancer-specific survival.

RESULTS:
Of all eligible people in the data (n = 35,663), 1.2% did not undergo immediate, definitive treatment (n = 440). The life table estimate of their 20-year cancer-specific survival rate was 97% (95% confidence interval [CI], 96%-100%). The corresponding estimate for the patients who did receive treatment was 99% (95% CI, 93%-100%). Among those who did not receive immediate, definitive treatment, 6 died from their cancer. This number is not statistically different from the number of thyroid cancer deaths in the treated group over the same period (n = 161) (P = .09).

CONCLUSION:
Papillary thyroid cancers of any size that are limited to the thyroid gland (no extraglandular extension or lymph node metastases at presentation) have favorable outcomes whether or not they are treated in the first year after diagnosis and whether they are treated by hemithyroidectomy or total thyroidectomy.

OP
C

ChrisRay

Thanks for the feedback. Yes having half my thyroid removed is not something I want to do. I'll find out more tomorrow.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals