Thyroid Supplementation - Is It Worth It?

EndAllDisease

For those who supplement with thyroid or think that it's a good idea:

How do you justify supplementing thyroid when it results in atrophy of the thyroid gland?
How is it worth it when you are basically trading your thyroid-producing gland for being enslaved to a supplement for the rest of your life?

FredSonoma

FlatEarth said:
post 115751 For those who supplement with thyroid or think that it's a good idea:

How do you justify supplementing thyroid when it results in atrophy of the thyroid gland?
How is it worth it when you are basically trading your thyroid-producing gland for being enslaved to a supplement for the rest of your life?

Crap lol is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
FlatEarth said:
post 115751 For those who supplement with thyroid or think that it's a good idea:

Crap lol is this true?

Yea, it's true. Stop all thyroid supplementation ASAP.

answersfound

FlatEarth said:

What about coffee drinkers? Aren't they enslaved to a beverage for the rest of their life? Thyroid supplementation has been compared to an adaptogen, in that it can be used temporarily to recover health, and then subsided. Not everyone takes thyroid for life after starting supplementation.

“If we optimize the known factors which improve energy production (red light, short-chain and medium-chain saturated fats, and pregnenolone, for example), to the extent that our metabolism resembles that of a ten year old child, I don’t think there is any reason to suppose that we wouldn’t have regenerative, healing abilities which are common at that age.”

But why not take it? Wouldn't you want to maximize your metabolic strength to resemble that of a ten year old child? Is there some sort of prize you get for having a strong metabolism without taking thyroid hormone? And I'm sure people who have taken it for a long time can skip several days and not see a significant drop in health, so you're not a slave to it, the same way someone is to coffee.

Many inherit poor physiology or develop chronic conditions that they can't pull themselves out of and have no other choice but to supplement thyroid. After all, it is a food.

acrylic

FlatEarth said:

It doesn't atrophy the thyroid gland. You're extremely irresponsible spreading information like this.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
FlatEarth said:
post 115751 How is it worth it when you are basically trading your thyroid-producing gland for being enslaved to a supplement for the rest of your life?
That statement is simply not true.

Last edited:
OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

answersfound said:
post 115762 After all, it is a food.
Good point! Perhaps the word 'enslaved' was a little misleading. If that word must be used then it must also be said that we're enslaved to water and food just the same.

acrylic said:
post 115766 It doesn't atrophy the thyroid gland. You're extremely irresponsible spreading information like this.
and
Charlie said:
post 115767 That statement is simply not true.
It's not my goal to spread misinformation. I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, when reading Ray Peat's book on Progesterone, I recall him saying that thyroid will atrophy when thyroid is supplemented. It makes sense to me because giving your body thyroid would eliminate the need for the body to produce it, and thus atrophy would result from non-use.

Do you still maintain that atrophy wouldn't occur? If so, what makes you so sure?

jaguar43

FlatEarth said:

Not true, it doesn't atrophy your own gland. It actually can make it work better according to Ray Peat. In my experience over time you may need less thyroid not more.

OP
EndAllDisease

EndAllDisease

jag2594 said:
post 115773 Not true, it doesn't atrophy your own gland. It actually can make it work better according to Ray Peat. In my experience over time you may need less thyroid not more.
What if I can give you a quote directly from Ray Peat's book on progesterone that suggests it does atrophy?

goodandevil

It's worth it because the psychic hotline says so. Yes, i am dependent on the psychic hotline for the rest of my days and that sux.

jaguar43

FlatEarth said:
post 115775
jag2594 said:
post 115773 Not true, it doesn't atrophy your own gland. It actually can make it work better according to Ray Peat. In my experience over time you may need less thyroid not more.
What if I can give you a quote directly from Ray Peat's book on progesterone that suggests it does atrophy?

Sure go ahead.

HDD

jag2594 said:
FlatEarth said:

Not true, it doesn't atrophy your own gland. It actually can make it work better according to Ray Peat. In my experience over time you may need less thyroid not more.

HOW TO STOP THYROID] If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning.
http://wiki.raypeatforum.com/index.php/ ... id_Hormone

jaguar43

HDD said:
post 115784
jag2594 said:
FlatEarth said:

HOW TO STOP THYROID] If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning.
http://wiki.raypeatforum.com/index.php/ ... id_Hormone

Thats answers your own question. It takes 2 to 3 days for the gland to resume full activity. It doesn't atrophy it.

FredSonoma

FlatEarth said:
post 115775
jag2594 said:

Not trying to be hostile in any way, just wondering because I'm genuinely curious, but I would definitely like to see the quote if you can find it

Spondive

I thought the same about atrophy but we don't know for sure..given our poor stressful situation people are in because of this anti human society, food and all why waste time to feel good

We have a relatively short life why not gain health and feel good whether we have to rely on thyroid for the rest of our lives?

Ideonaut

answersfound said:
post 115762 After all, it is a food.

I'd like to see Haidut weigh in on the issue. I think he said something in an interview about thyroid supplementation causing the gland to shut down. I got the impression that he thinks it's risky to take. On the other hand, he's selling it.

answersfound

brumpfschmlog said:
post 115819 I take issue with the idea that thyroid is a food

I take issue with the idea that liver is a food.

i think it is a very very good discussion to have. are there any other negative effects to it? who cares if you have to take it for the rest of your life? you have to eat everyday anyway.

there's a ***t ton of people taking thyroid hormone anyway. even my own mom takes it everyday because her endo subscribed it to her.

answersfound said:
post 115756
FredSonoma said:
FlatEarth said:

Crap lol is this true?

Yea, it's true. Stop all thyroid supplementation ASAP.

That is sarcasm right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals