Thyroid Supplement + Antibiotic = Waking Up With Night Sweats/Hunger

max9505672

Hi everybody,

I am a little confused about what is going with me these days and I'd appreciate a little help if possible.

- I am on daily antibiotics (Doxycycline) for 2 years now to deal with acne issues.
- I also am on Thyroid supplements (T4) daily for about 3-4 months (I take it before going to sleep)
- I have been on a Ray Peat diet for couple months (stopped PUFA's, a lot more fructore, added more salt, etc.)

Since about 2 months ago, I've had couple of episodes of waking with night sweats and hunger. The first times, I noticed that those episodes would happen with lots of milk intake, so I stopped milk and they basically disapeared for a while.

For the last couple of days, I completely stopped other dairy products (cheese, cream) thinking they were the cause of my acne. I also stopped taking the antibiotics (Doxycycline) thinking I don't need them anymore without dairy. Since then, I've had couple more episodes of those night sweats and hunger.

Any opinion on what could cause those strange episodes? Looks like there's a correlation with the antobiotics. Could this hide any digestion/GI problem?

kiran

Guessing the doxycycline was covering up the SIBO symptoms. Any starch or fiber can feed bacteria, not just milk, what else are you eating?

OP
M

max9505672

Guessing the doxycycline was covering up the SIBO symptoms. Any starch or fiber can feed bacteria, not just milk, what else are you eating?

Usually quite a lot of potatoes and rice. Here's a quick view on my diet. Anything wrong here? Any good thread on SIBO or things to avoid?

Main sources of carbs:
  • potatoes
  • white rice
  • pastas (seems to react fine on pastas)
  • Wide variety of fruits
  • general veggies (onions, peppers,)
  • Daily carrot salad
Main sources of proteins:
  • eggs
  • gelatin
  • beef liver
  • ground beef
  • ground horse
  • tuna
  • at a lower % - trying to reduce : Dairy (cheese, cottage)

Main sources of fat:
  • butter
  • coconut oil
  • eggs
  • olives
  • olive oil

kiran

That's a lot of potential problems, have you tried narrowing it down?

Consider trying more sugar and less starch for a while.
You can try eliminating onions and peppers, and perhaps some fruits.

How much pufa are you getting from that tuna and horse?

OP
M

max9505672

Good idea, I was so sure it was milk that I never narrowed it down.

So starches, vegetables and even fruits can feed the bacteria?

Tuna is canned, not fat.
Horse to be honest I don't know. It's a pretty lean meat though. Is it known to be high is PUFA's? More than beef?

OP
M

max9505672

I am reducing starches and dairies seems to have good effect on sleep and acne.

kiran

So starches, vegetables and even fruits can feed the bacteria?
Yes, all of them and even fruit fiber can feed bacteria.
Carrot salad and mushroom *should* take care of that but...
Tuna is canned, not fat.
Horse to be honest I don't know. It's a pretty lean meat though. Is it known to be high is PUFA's? More than beef?
Horse/tuna etc are generally more irritating than beef.

HDD

"The observation that multiple sclerosis is associated with the consumption of pork and horsemeat, but not beef, lamb, or goat, is very interesting, since the fat of those animals is essentially like the fats of the plant materials that they eat, meaning that it is extremely high in linoleic and linolenic acids."