Thyroid Stimulating Hormone elevation by Povidone Iodine Mouthwash, Gargle, and Nasal Spray (In COVID-19 study)

Dr. B

I agree. It's bad to fear iodine and it's bad, American or not, to add fluoride to water. Unless you eat a lot of conventional dairy and fish/seafood with iodine, you are not likely to get enough for your thyroid. Seafood really seems like the only reliable source because dairy varies so much based on the farming practices. And if you are exposed to a lot of anti-thyroid nutrients, that interfere with iodine uptake, you need even more.
what dairy practices increase iodine i heard non organic dairy actually has more iodine due to it being supplemented, iodine based cleaners being used.
how long does it take to detox the fluoride, chlorine, bromine etc from the body if you drank lots of tap water for 10+ years?

L

LauriePartridge

The dairy practices you mentioned help determine iodine content in milk. Cleaning the machines with iodine and adding feed with supplemental iodine are what really add iodine to milk, and I suppose supplemental vitamins/minerals containing iodine. And yes, conventional, non organic farming tends to be significantly higher in iodine because they rely on feed more than organic farming does. There has also been research that shows iodine content of organic, grass-fed milk to be much lower than conventional. Also during winter, iodine in conventional dairy tends to be even higher because cows are indoors eating supplemental feed rather than grazing outside on grass and foliage during cold weather. I actually called Kalona on a few occasions to find out what there iodine content was in their milk and they said none although they hadn't tested. Alexandre Farms in California also said their milk contains none. I did call Organic Valley a few times and eventually they told me they tested their milk and it had the standard iodine content but you'd have to clarify that with them to be sure.

I don't know how long it takes to detox per se, but I think it's a matter of balancing iodine with contaminants/exposure. When I needed a lot of iodine, I would crave it and very slowly incorporated more into my diet which seemed to offset the loss of iodine from other sources. It didn't take long to catch up - maybe 6 months or so if I had to guess. But the key is to go slowly or it can trigger a thyrotoxic state which did happen to me once and it was very unpleasant. I just judged how much based on how it made me feel. I am really comfortable getting a milligram or so pretty regularly although I don't count or keep track anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. B

The dairy practices you mentioned help determine iodine content in milk. Cleaning the machines with iodine and adding feed with supplemental iodine are what really add iodine to milk, and I suppose supplemental vitamins/minerals containing iodine. And yes, conventional, non organic farming tends to be significantly higher in iodine because they rely on feed more than organic farming does. There has also been research that shows iodine content of organic, grass-fed milk to be much lower than conventional. Also during winter, iodine in conventional dairy tends to be even higher because cows are indoors eating supplemental feed rather than grazing outside on grass and foliage during cold weather. I actually called Kalona on a few occasions to find out what there iodine content was in their milk and they said none although they hadn't tested. Alexandre Farms in California also said their milk contains none. I did call Organic Valley a few times and eventually they told me they tested their milk and it had the standard iodine content but you'd have to clarify that with them to be sure.

I don't know how long it takes to detox per se, but I think it's a matter of balancing iodine with contaminants/exposure. When I needed a lot of iodine, I would crave it and very slowly incorporated more into my diet which seemed to offset the loss of iodine from other sources. It didn't take long to catch up - maybe 6 months or so if I had to guess. But the key is to go slowly or it can trigger a thyrotoxic state which did happen to me once and it was very unpleasant. I just judged how much based on how it made me feel. I am really comfortable getting a milligram or so pretty regularly although I don't count or keep track anymore.
a milligram is very small its considered the safe upper limit by the fda i believe. many supplement users are using 5, 10, or even hundreds of milligrams

L

LauriePartridge

what dairy practices increase iodine i heard non organic dairy actually has more iodine due to it being supplemented, iodine based cleaners being used.
how long does it take to detox the fluoride, chlorine, bromine etc from the body if you drank lots of tap water for 10+ years
a milligram is very small its considered the safe upper limit by the fda i believe. many supplement users are using 5, 10, or even hundreds of milligrams
Yes but a lot of people are afraid of even that amount. I've also had around 2-4 mgs without any problems, especially when I was trying to increase it. A milligram is more of maintenance dosage for me.

Jam

And you believe the FDA because?