Thyroid Stimulating Hormone elevation by Povidone Iodine Mouthwash, Gargle, and Nasal Spray (In COVID-19 study)

Daft

No change to T3 or T4 though.
Thyroid stimulating hormone elevation (median [IQR], 3.4 [2.6-4.3] mIU/L vs 2.1 [1.4-3.1] mIU/L at baseline) was observed in all patients after 5 days of PI exposure, exceeding the upper normal value in 5 patients, with a return to baseline values 7 to 12 days later. No modification in thyroid hormone (T3, T4) or creatinine levels was observed.
Thyroid dysfunction occurred in 42% of the patients exposed to PI, with spontaneous resolution upon treatment discontinuation, as previously reported.6

Might work for COVID too. Gonna look into it more.

Jam

The usual crap. TSH always elevates the first few weeks of increased iodine uptake, and it always returns to baseline or lower (if an iodine deficiency is resolved) unless severe thyroid dysfunction was present.

Yes - when is everyone going to get over the fear of iodine and just take some already. It makes you smarter. All the fluoride tap water 'muricans ( sheeple ) are proof that blocking iodine is no bueno.

I'm not so sure. Dr. Peat has always maintained that iodine consumption suppresses thyroid function, the Wolff Chaikoff effect, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Iodine is an essential element for thyroid hormone synthesis. The thyroid gland has the capacity and holds the machinery to handle the iodine efficiently when the availability of iodine becomes scarce, as well as when iodine is available in excessive quantities. The latter situation is handled by the thyroid by acutely inhibiting the organification of iodine, the so-called acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect, by a mechanism not well understood 52 years after the original description. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns. This is achieved by decreasing the intrathyroidal inorganic iodine concentration by down regulation of the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) and therefore permits the TPO-H202 system to resume normal activity. However, in a few apparently normal individuals, in newborns and fetuses, in some patients with chronic systemic diseases, euthyroid patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, and Graves' disease patients previously treated with radioimmunoassay (RAI), surgery or antithyroid drugs, the escape from the inhibitory effect of large doses of iodides is not achieved and clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism ensues. Iodide-induced hypothyroidism has also been observed in patients with a history of postpartum thyroiditis, in euthyroid patients after a previous episode of subacute thyroiditis, and in patients treated with recombinant interferon-alpha who developed transient thyroid dysfunction during interferon-a treatment. The hypothyroidism is transient and thyroid function returns to normal in 2 to 3 weeks after iodide withdrawal, but transient T4 replacement therapy may be required in some patients. The patients who develop transient iodine-induced hypothyroidism must be followed long term thereafter because many will develop permanent primary hypothyroidism.

---

Also, this is precisely when you need a highly functional thyroid, when you are sick. Doesn't seem like a good idea suppressing your thyroid when you are sick.

JamesGatz

Yes - when is everyone going to get over the fear of iodine and just take some already. It makes you smarter. All the fluoride tap water 'muricans ( sheeple ) are proof that blocking iodine is no bueno.
Whoa *** jealousy alert ***

Why do people love to hate us SUPERIOR Americans ? Is it cause we invented the hamburger first or what ? Is it cause we have low taxes ? I bet that's what it is

Whoa *** jealousy alert ***

Why do people love to hate us SUPERIOR Americans ? Is it cause we invented the hamburger first or what ? Is it cause we have low taxes ? I bet that's what it is

Cuz they took our gunzz and y'all still got 'em

Makrosky

I'm not so sure. Dr. Peat has always maintained that iodine consumption suppresses thyroid function, the Wolff Chaikoff effect, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Iodine is an essential element for thyroid hormone synthesis. The thyroid gland has the capacity and holds the machinery to handle the iodine efficiently when the availability of iodine becomes scarce, as well as when iodine is available in excessive quantities. The latter situation is handled by the thyroid by acutely inhibiting the organification of iodine, the so-called acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect, by a mechanism not well understood 52 years after the original description. It is proposed that iodopeptide(s) are formed that temporarily inhibit thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mRNA and protein synthesis and, therefore, thyroglobulin iodinations. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect is an effective means of rejecting the large quantities of iodide and therefore preventing the thyroid from synthesizing large quantities of thyroid hormones. The acute Wolff-Chaikoff effect lasts for few a days and then, through the so-called "escape" phenomenon, the organification of intrathyroidal iodide resumes and the normal synthesis of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) returns. This is achieved by decreasing the intrathyroidal inorganic iodine concentration by down regulation of the sodium iodine symporter (NIS) and therefore permits the TPO-H202 system to resume normal activity. However, in a few apparently normal individuals, in newborns and fetuses, in some patients with chronic systemic diseases, euthyroid patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, and Graves' disease patients previously treated with radioimmunoassay (RAI), surgery or antithyroid drugs, the escape from the inhibitory effect of large doses of iodides is not achieved and clinical or subclinical hypothyroidism ensues. Iodide-induced hypothyroidism has also been observed in patients with a history of postpartum thyroiditis, in euthyroid patients after a previous episode of subacute thyroiditis, and in patients treated with recombinant interferon-alpha who developed transient thyroid dysfunction during interferon-a treatment. The hypothyroidism is transient and thyroid function returns to normal in 2 to 3 weeks after iodide withdrawal, but transient T4 replacement therapy may be required in some patients. The patients who develop transient iodine-induced hypothyroidism must be followed long term thereafter because many will develop permanent primary hypothyroidism.

---

Also, this is precisely when you need a highly functional thyroid, when you are sick. Doesn't seem like a good idea suppressing your thyroid when you are sick.
hamster, the wolff-chaikoff effect has been debunked many times. People should not take that thing in the equation of whether iodine is good or bad.

OP
Daft

Daft

Also interesting to learn iodine is that absorbable through a nasal spray...

JamesGatz

dude - get Grammarly - it has spell check
Dudette - I know how to spell perfectly fine thank you very much - I won my 2nd grade spelling bee and it wasn't even close - I mopped all the other kids to the dust when it came to spelling - I was spelling more than a Salem Witch

Last edited:
hamster, the wolff-chaikoff effect has been debunked many times. People should not take that thing in the equation of whether iodine is good or bad.

yes I know people say that here, but I don't think it's debunked. Can you prove that?

And there is a higher amount of thyroid cancer where people have higher iodine consumption.

Makrosky

yes I know people say that here, but I don't think it's debunked. Can you prove that?

And there is a higher amount of thyroid cancer where people have higher iodine consumption.
I'll try to find that for you. But I think Jam has already posted the evidence a few times already.

Jam

L

LauriePartridge

I agree. It's bad to fear iodine and it's bad, American or not, to add fluoride to water. Unless you eat a lot of conventional dairy and fish/seafood with iodine, you are not likely to get enough for your thyroid. Seafood really seems like the only reliable source because dairy varies so much based on the farming practices. And if you are exposed to a lot of anti-thyroid nutrients, that interfere with iodine uptake, you need even more.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals